Quante Smith and Shawn Lawson

CanadianSoccerFan

Anybody know who these guys are? They're going to Jamaica's U17 camp in Brazil. Smith had some interesting things to say to the Jamaican press:

One such player is 16 year-old central defender, Quante Smith, who played a few practice matches for Canada. However, rather than lacing up for the North American country, he decided to choose the country of his mother's birth.

"Like everyone I have never been to Brazil before, but I hope to leave there with enough experience to be able to help the team qualify," said Smith, who has also played in Switzerland and France.

"I have had try-outs with the Canada team and Jamaica's team and Jamaica is definitely better and given the chance, I would love to play a role in us qualifying and doing well at the World Cup,"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20101215/sports/sports21.html

Well, at least this kid is going to learn a short, swift lesson in who's better than who at U-17 qualifying.

Wouldn't it be sweet if we beat them for that qualifying spot. Sounds like bitterness to me, probably wasn't in Canada's plans if this is the first we've even heard.

His full name is Quante Abbott-Hill-Smith, he plays for Dixie SC and hails from Brampton:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/players/u17/profile.asp?playerid=2107

I assume he wasn't called into the last U17 camp, heard Jamaica got whacked 4-2 by Canada and said "I want to play for those guys!"

Never heard of Shawn Lawson though...found this on the Reggae Boyz forum:

"Shawn Lawson, son of former national player Jimmy Lawson". So his dad was a Reggae Boy...

http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=166797

• 2 months later...

Following in his fathers footsteps I can understand. And I don't see him hurting any professional chances by suiting up for the Jamaican National Squad. It would be a different story if he joined a Club down there or if the Canadian Program ever takes off and playing higher profile friendlies (giving our youngsters a potential inlet to Europe) and competing in the World Cup.

However at this point if the lad couldn't cut it for the Canadian U17 squad he is not hurting himself by representing the Raggae-Boyz

PS.... Whale999 what is your background as I notice this is your only post on V's forum.

Following in his fathers footsteps I can understand. And I don't see him hurting any professional chances by suiting up for the Jamaican National Squad.

Well if he wants to stay in Canada, I hope that our clubs will have the decency to refuse him. So that may hurt his career cause he won't be able to play here.

The Impact Academy doesn't have the same policy?! That blows.

As for the Lawson kid I wish him well, you can't blame him for his decision. He did what we asked of Teal Bunbury. Although Teal is obviously better and this kid may never amount to anything so... who cares really.

The Impact Academy doesn't have the same policy?! That blows.

As for the Lawson kid I wish him well, you can't blame him for his decision. He did what we asked of Teal Bunbury. Although Teal is obviously better and this kid may never amount to anything so... who cares really.

Teal was born here though like Lawson so it's not the same.

Archived