Hoilett, Jono and Bunbury?

Seb of Mtl

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that article is BS.

hile Canada has struggled since a 2000 Gold Cup victory, the United States has been impressive in recent major tournaments, making them a more likely destination if Teal hopes to reach success at the international level

He has way better chances of having success with the CMNT than the USMNT... He's a sure starter here while there he would probably be 5th or 6th in the striker depth chart.

And hasn't he already said he would play for us in an interview?

Wow that article is BS.

He has way better chances of having success with the CMNT than the USMNT... He's a sure starter here while there he would probably be 5th or 6th in the striker depth chart.

And hasn't he already said he would play for us in an interview?

Sure starter? I wouldn't start him ahead of Friend or Jackson, atleast not yet.

I just wanted to get this theory on the board and we can check it in a couple of years to see how accurate it was. I think JDG2 will play for Canada but it will be primarily by default. If he does not get called up by the Dutch for the first couple rounds of Euro qualifying this fall (and that doesn't seem too likely), he will surprise us by agreeing to play for Canada in a friendly in Europe. If that is a good experience and also if the Dutch continue to ignore him, he will decide to go with Canada, committing before WC qualifying starts. He will cite his desire to play for his brother as his main reason. That will be a big part of it, but it will also be related to the fact the Dutch don't want him and that he will want to be involved in the WC 2014 qualifying cycle with someone. He may profess a love for Canada but I suspect that will be relatively far down the list of reasons. What's best for a player's career is the ultimate decider for a lot of players and in the next while JDG2 will realize Canada is his best option to play international football in the next cycle. He can't really wait until the WC 2018 cycle because if the Dutch don't want him this time, they will not want him next time. Regardless of reason, I'll be happy he's on board.

Jason

I just wanted to get this theory on the board and we can check it in a couple of years to see how accurate it was. I think JDG2 will play for Canada but it will be primarily by default. If he does not get called up by the Dutch for the first couple rounds of Euro qualifying this fall (and that doesn't seem too likely), he will surprise us by agreeing to play for Canada in a friendly in Europe. If that is a good experience and also if the Dutch continue to ignore him, he will decide to go with Canada, committing before WC qualifying starts. He will cite his desire to play for his brother as his main reason. That will be a big part of it, but it will also be related to the fact the Dutch don't want him and that he will want to be involved in the WC 2014 qualifying cycle with someone. He may profess a love for Canada but I suspect that will be relatively far down the list of reasons. What's best for a player's career is the ultimate decider for a lot of players and in the next while JDG2 will realize Canada is his best option to play international football in the next cycle. He can't really wait until the WC 2018 cycle because if the Dutch don't want him this time, they will not want him next time. Regardless of reason, I'll be happy he's on board.

Jason

I think that this is spot on. The positives: the fact that Holland reached the WC finals might mean that they are less inclined to rock the boat with a drastic an over-haul going into Euro Qualifying. That might restrict his opportunities and cement his spot on the depth chart. The negatives: There are not too many young players in MF from the dutch squad at the WC. As far as the rest of the squad, it may be due for changes regardless.

Mark VAN BOMMEL 22/04/1977

Nigel DE JONG 30/11/1984

Wesley SNEIJDER 09/06/1984

Demy DE ZEEUW 26/05/1983

Stijn SCHAARS 11/01/1984

Ibrahim AFELLAY 02/04/1986

Rafael VAN DER VAART 11/02/1983

Giovanni VAN BRONCKHORST 05/02/1975

Dirk KUYT 22/07/1980

Robin VAN PERSIE 06/08/1983

Arjen ROBBEN 23/01/1984

Khalid BOULAHROUZ 28/12/1981

Andre OOIJER 11/07/1974

Edson BRAAFHEID 08/04/1983

Eljero ELIA 13/02/1987

Ryan BABEL 19/12/1986

Klaas Jan HUNTELAAR 12/08/1983

None of those midfielders are particularly young, but all apart from Bommel should be around for the Euro 2012, and probably WC 2014. At the very least, they would have to be surpassed on talent, as at age 31 (van der Vaart) or younger, they should still have a good deal to offer.

And while the Dutch don't have many "big name" young midfielders, van Marwijk still managed to call up a whole lot of them without having to think about JDG2. From their squad for the Ukraine friendly, August 11th:

Midfielders: Otman Bakkal (PSV), Wout Brama (FC Twente), Urby Emanuelson (Ajax), David Mendes da Silva (Red Bull Salzburg), Orlando Engelaar (PSV), Theo Janssen (FC Twente), Siem de Jong (Ajax)

wow sure seems like the american media is pushing hard to convince him...maybe they realize that after donovan and altidore that the new crop of us strikers is average at best.

New crop of strikers is average? Have you actually seen the U.S. under-20's play? They just won the Northern Ireland Milk Cup. They're more technically gifted than Donovan and Altidore.

None of those midfielders are particularly young, but all apart from Bommel should be around for the Euro 2012, and probably WC 2014. At the very least, they would have to be surpassed on talent, as at age 31 (van der Vaart) or younger, they should still have a good deal to offer.

And while the Dutch don't have many "big name" young midfielders, van Marwijk still managed to call up a whole lot of them without having to think about JDG2. From their squad for the Ukraine friendly, August 11th:

Midfielders: Otman Bakkal (PSV), Wout Brama (FC Twente), Urby Emanuelson (Ajax), David Mendes da Silva (Red Bull Salzburg), Orlando Engelaar (PSV), Theo Janssen (FC Twente), Siem de Jong (Ajax)

There have been a few changes to this ''B'' squad because 3 of the selected midfielders (Bakkal, Engelaar and Mendes da Silva) will not be travelling to the Ukraine because of injury.

Leroy Fer (20 year old Feyenoord midfielder) will make his debut now and Hedwiges Maduro (Valencia defensive mid, centre back > last played for Holland 4 years ago) has also been called up.

Don't worry on JDG2 being picked in the Dutch Squad. It's not going to happen. Should there be another 2 injuries then Van Marwijk will almost certainly pick Georginio Wijnaldum and Erik Falkenburg ahead of Jono as well.

It's considered the most prestigious youth tournament in the world after the U-20 World Cup. We didn't even get invited to it.

Based on the link that JPG shared, neither did Brazil, Spain, England, Argentina, Netherlands....

Beating China 1-0, Denmark 3-2 and Northern Ireland 3-0 does not a world beater make.

Winning the Milk Cup is better than not winning it. And you completely missed my point entirely. Congrats.

I am not sure you have made a point to be missed. Winning a second rate U-20 Tournament - which is most defintiely not as you advertise it to be and one they have one previously btw - neither proves nor disproves your contention that the current crop of American U-20 forwards technically more talented than Donovan and Altidor. Support that contention, name some names and provide a basis for the opinion. Have you seen them play? If so, what struck you about them?

It's considered the most prestigious youth tournament in the world after the U-20 World Cup. We didn't even get invited to it.

This seems like nothing more than something on par with the Francophone cup that Canada did well at a year back.

Based on the link that JPG shared, neither did Brazil, Spain, England, Argentina, Netherlands....

Beating China 1-0, Denmark 3-2 and Northern Ireland 3-0 does not a world beater make.

Yeah, there was a reason Reality Bites failed to give a link. Thank you JPG.

Just got back from holidays and must say this post is terrific!!

lol, for a second I thought my sarcasm would have gotten lost on the internet, but Bites managed to catch it.

Winning the Milk Cup is better than not winning it. And you completely missed my point entirely. Congrats.

You said it was the most prestigous U20 tournament in the world after U20 WC and got called out on it since it was blatantly not true.

I am not sure you have made a point to be missed. Winning a second rate U-20 Tournament - which is most defintiely not as you advertise it to be and one they have one previously btw - neither proves nor disproves your contention that the current crop of American U-20 forwards technically more talented than Donovan and Altidor. Support that contention, name some names and provide a basis for the opinion. Have you seen them play? If so, what struck you about them?

Yes, I have seen them play twice. Once in the Milk Cup final and once against Canada at the U-17 level. They were by far more technically gifted than any youth side the U.S. has put out. They also have a lot of depth at forward which leads me to believe this group will be better than Donovan or Altidore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_U-20_men's_national_soccer_team#Current_squad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJsi8NVWHbI

Holland have just drawn 1-1 away to Ukraine (fantastic new stadium in Donetsk by the way for Euro 2012) and every single one of the B-Team really impressed. Maduro, Leroy Fer and Theo Janssen were particulary impressive in midfield so Jono must have been watching with a lot of stress. The league in Ukraine has started a few months ago and were at full strength and only got the draw due to a great free-kick.

The U21's are through to the play-offs after their 7th straight win leaving Spain far behind (8 points) and unable to qualify.

If there was ever a right time to call Jono > It is now.

Archived