Hoilett, Jono and Bunbury?

Seb of Mtl

hmmm, 2014 can we make it? I think we definitely can. We should be making no excuses for this time round. The time for complaing is gone. The only way the CSA and Canada can get by without the people who jump are by not caring and moving on sitting and pining about a player isn't gonna help us win. We need to look at the players who want to play for us and are gonna give us there all.

I still believe Hoillett could still be a player that fits that mold as for Jono, not to sure about him. I'm not sure I even want him, do we really think he has enough drive to come and play for a country he snubbed once.

I think Canada has to just play with what they have, do the work on the field and maybe players will notice and want to jump on board. Plus in the next few years the opportunity for Canadian players to play domestically is gonna be at a level I've never seen in my life of 22 years, that can be only good for the CMNT.

With that being said I do love making up preliminary lineups and depth charts, so here is my crack at what I think we should be looking to take forward, (if we can and all are available for selection)

23 Man Squad

Goalies

Lars Hirschfeld

David Monslave

Haidar Al-Shaibani

Defenders

Adam Straith

Dejan Jackovic

David Edgar

Kevin Mckenna

Andrew Hainault

Nana Attakora

Eddy Sidra

Mike Klukowski

Midfielders

Julian De Guzman

Atiba Hutchinson

Josh Simpson

Marcel De Jong

Jamie Peters

Nick Ledgerwood

Pedro Pacheo

Will Johnson

Forwards

David Hoilett

Simeon Jackson

Rob Friend

Teal Bunbury

To me is that team has the right system and coach to get them moving and working together they can should be able to qualify.

EDIT: not sure if this has been posted but an article on Hoilett seeming to be leaning to Canada. http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/8206810.Blackburn_Rovers_starlet_set_to_opt_for_Canada/

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

23 Man Squad

Goalies

Lars Hirschfeld

David Monslave

Haidar Al-Shaibani

Defenders

Adam Straith

Dejan Jackovic

David Edgar

Kevin Mckenna

Andrew Hainault

Nana Attakora

Eddy Sidra

Mike Klukowski

Midfielders

Julian De Guzman

Atiba Hutchinson

Josh Simpson

Marcel De Jong

Jamie Peters

Nick Ledgerwood

Pedro Pacheo

Will Johnson

Forwards

David Hoilett

Simeon Jackson

Rob Friend

Teal Bunbury

To me is that team ahs the right system and coach to get them moving and working together they can should be able to qualify.

LEdgerwood over Bernier?

We make up these theoretical lineups. Mostly useless.

We basically assume everyone will be a first team player and hope for the best. If they aren't, well they still get included in the squad.

I'd take a regular player in League 1 over a benched player in a top division. It's as simple as that. Our players need to be playing somewhat regularly to make my squad.

We make up these theoretical lineups. Mostly useless.

We basically assume everyone will be a first team player and hope for the best. If they aren't, well they still get included in the squad.

I'd take a regular player in League 1 over a benched player in a top division. It's as simple as that. Our players need to be playing somewhat regularly to make my squad.

Yeah, they are useless, but fun. I definietly agree with you that they need to be playing to make the squad. I think by 2014 people are gonna be suprised how many of our guys who are being called up will be in Canada or the USA playing.

and to Jeremy, I think i forgot about Bernier, he always slips my mind, but yeah with Ledgerwood moving down to 3rd.liga, Bernier, Wassey or Nakajima probably should be in his place.

and to Jeremy, I think i forgot about Bernier, he always slips my mind, but yeah with Ledgerwood moving down to 3rd.liga, Bernier, Wassey or Nakajima probably should be in his place.

Except Bernier has been recognized as one of the most important players on his team, while Ledgerwood wasn't re-signed with his club and will be playing next year in the German 3rd tier with SV Wehen Wiesbaden.

Except Bernier has been recognized as one of the most important players on his team, while Ledgerwood wasn't re-signed with his club and will be playing next year in the German 3rd tier with SV Wehen Wiesbaden.

Yeah, I don't know what it is I just never give Bernier the credit he deserves, not sure why, maybe could be his Impact days.

Yeah, they are useless, but fun. I definietly agree with you that they need to be playing to make the squad. I think by 2014 people are gonna be suprised how many of our guys who are being called up will be in Canada or the USA playing.

Ledgerwood is still playing at a higher level than Wassey.

I don't see how building properly for the future will harm our chances for 2014, its already a lofty proposition considering the resources at hand. My point is building a solid foundation of good young talent that will be together for the next 6,7,8 years might just get us into the finals in Brasil 2014. Harts job is safe, that is if he dosen't bail on his own account.

Every Coaches job is to "WIN NOW" I don't see how that has ever changed, remember Hart has just recently been "let off the leash" and been chosen as the number one guy, even if he fails to qualify for 2014, he will still have the job if he wants it.

If Hart does not qualify this team to Brasil 2014 then he should be fired and replaced with someone who can.

As for building a team that will be together for 6-8 years you're essentially proposing to cut loose anyone over the age of 25. IMO, the players born after '85 in the NT player pool have done nothing to warrant being given a chance over the current core players like De Guzman, Hutchinson, Klukowski, Simpson, Lars, McKenna, DeRo...throwing guys like Johnson, Peters, Jackson, Wagenaar/Al Shaibani to the wolves is not going to do us any good.

Junior has never indicated which country he would play for. His dad came out and said he was thinking of attending a Canada camp back in late May-early June in a UK-based article.

As for Bunbury, i don't think he's done anything to this point to warrant being mentioned with the other two players in terms of helping us qualify for the WCQ (which is pretty much what the OP is insinuating)

true at this point in time but keep in mind that we're talking about wcq for 2014

If Hart does not qualify this team to Brasil 2014 then he should be fired and replaced with someone who can.

As for building a team that will be together for 6-8 years you're essentially proposing to cut loose anyone over the age of 25. IMO, the players born after '85 in the NT player pool have done nothing to warrant being given a chance over the current core players like De Guzman, Hutchinson, Klukowski, Simpson, Lars, McKenna, DeRo...throwing guys like Johnson, Peters, Jackson, Wagenaar/Al Shaibani to the wolves is not going to do us any good.

Perfectly put. We have to build for this qualifying cycle, starting possibly fall 2011. Forget about 2014, that won't matter if we don't get our **** together within two years. To ask the manager to build for 2018 is ridiculous. Play the best players and force the new crop to bang the door down to the starting lineup. They'll be better for it. If we win now, 2018 will take care of itself.

About JDG2 or Hoilett? I was under the impression that Junior was leaning toward our camp.

Edit: here is the link from the Lancashire Telegraph article: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/8206810.Blackburn_Rovers_starlet_set_to_opt_for_Canada/

that is interesting stuff about hoilett....i missed that...any news like that is good news.....especially from a source in the UK.

bunbury might be a factor 3 years from now, but if qualifying were today he would obviously be a long way down the list....

How is it possible for Jono to still play for Canada. He is 22 years old now and has played 4 games for Holland U21's.

I thought the rule was that he could have switched before his 21st birthday but not after??

I know plenty of players have been victim of that rule but only know 1 player who has succeeded in swapping nations. Quincy Owusu Abeyie played 8 games for Holland U21 but represented Ghana at the World Cup.

^The rule was recently changed such that the age limit on switching was removed. I may be mistaken, but the removal of the age limit allowed Begovic to play for Bosnia. If he plays for the Dutch senior team in an 'official' match he will also be cap-tied.

Ali Gerba has way more goals in less starts and is younger, would you start him over Friend?

Here's the way I see it:

- Friend is a good target man/striker, but he needs good service to be effective. I don't think we have any wide midfielders currently in the mold of a set up man.

- Gerba is a pure poacher who can capitalize on defensive mistakes. The more broken the play, the more likely he is to score.

In my opinion, we'd be better off if we could find someone to set up Friend, but in the absence of that, Gerba needs to remain an option.

Bunbury, Jono and Junior are the Canadian soccer versions of LeBron, DWade and Bosh! I hope that our boy Hart can pull off a good impression of Pat Riley.

P.S. If you include Bunbury, I think you have to look at O'Brian White too. I realize the OBW is older and doesn't have the upside of Bunbury, but neither have accomplished much at the pro level yet.

Bunbury, Jono and Junior are the Canadian soccer versions of LeBron, DWade and Bosh! I hope that our boy Hart can pull off a good impression of Pat Riley.

P.S. If you include Bunbury, I think you have to look at O'Brian White too. I realize the OBW is older and doesn't have the upside of Bunbury, but neither have accomplished much at the pro level yet.

I don't think so.. OBW may never be good enough for Canada, I think Bunbury may be good enough right now from what I've seen.. the kid is good there is a reason he accomplished what OBW did at 24 when he was just 19

^The rule was recently changed such that the age limit on switching was removed. I may be mistaken, but the removal of the age limit allowed Begovic to play for Bosnia. If he plays for the Dutch senior team in an 'official' match he will also be cap-tied.

That's correct. Until JDG2 plays for the Netherlands in a Euro qualifier/finals match or a World Cup qualifier/finals match, he can still technically play for us.

Would the addition of these 3 players be enough for us to qualify in 2014?

Think regardless of what happens with those three making the hex (or last eight if they change the format) should probably be viewed as the goal at this point. Given Mexico and the United States are always likely to qualify and fourth place means a very difficult playoff there is very little margin of error for the half dozen or so countries chasing the last automatic qualification place (i.e. Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, T&T, Canada, Guatemala and El Salvador) so none of the chasing pack are likely to emerge as a clear favourite at this point.

It's a bit off-topic, but I still can't understand why most on this forum simply dismiss Gerba out-of-hand. He scores goals for Canada. Period.

because, if our best option at striker is playing at USL div1 level then our qualifying campaign is over before it starts. I think most of us around here prefer to wait for the second or third game of the first group stage lol

Archived