Hoilett, Jono and Bunbury?

Seb of Mtl

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I think we need all 3 to have a truly realistic shot. Bunbury would be a depth player or an option off the bench but the other two would be starters. I think Hoillet will play for us in one of our remaining friendlies this year and if positive will play for us at gold cup. I dont think Jono will play for us until qualifying has started, if he does at all. Bunbury will be ours.

Bunbury would be a depth player or an option off the bench

Why? Are you suggesting that currently there is an abundance of talent ahead of him in that position?

Because of a lack of proven goal scorers on this team, it would put Bunbury no further behind anyone from a starting job than the others who would have to dislodge midfielders with experience who are playing more regularly such as JDG, Atiba and Simpson.

Aside from Jackson, what has anybody else done at the fwd position so far.

You're right that our forward production has been weak (and Jackson really has done nothing to distinguish himself for Canada either), but that doesn't make Bunbury suddenly a key to our qualification campaign.

Why? Are you suggesting that currently there is an abundance of talent ahead of him in that position?

Mabye not talent, but certainly experience, and although he is getting games, he'll have to do alot more before I can justify him being more than a sub off the bench. Has lots of potential however.

Because of a lack of proven goal scorers on this team, it would put Bunbury no further behind anyone from a starting job than the others who would have to dislodge midfielders with experience who are playing more regularly such as JDG, Atiba and Simpson.

I would agree, Bunbury would be competing for a starting spot straight away I think... I know JDG2 is a slim to none chance of coming back, but, wasn't Hoilett also leaning more on the Jamaican side? Correct me if I'm wrong...

You're right that our forward production has been weak (and Jackson really has done nothing to distinguish himself for Canada either), but that doesn't make Bunbury suddenly a key to our qualification campaign.

I never said that (ie.: that Bunbury would be the key to our qualifying campaign). All I am saying is that we hardly have proven quality up front so if there is position(s) most wide open, its at fwd and keeper. As far as Jackson, I have to agree that we haven't seen much from him in cnd jersey. But his club form has to earn him a few mulligans.

Yes, for Hoilett, and Jono, you would find a spot for them. But in MF, at least there are a many guys who are playing more regularly at their club sides.

I would agree, Bunbury would be competing for a starting spot straight away I think... I know JDG2 is a slim to none chance of coming back, but, wasn't Hoilett also leaning more on the Jamaican side? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Bunbury would be competing for a starting spot with Friend, Jackson, Occean, Hume, Gerba, Haber, and Ricketts (and possibly Hoilett). He can compete all he wants, but he needs to show a little more professionally before I think he's the answer. He did just score his first professional goal last week.

Apparently he's leaning our way. There was a lancashire telegraph article about him wanting to at least come into a camp to check out the situation.

Junior has never indicated which country he would play for. His dad came out and said he was thinking of attending a Canada camp back in late May-early June in a UK-based article.

As for Bunbury, i don't think he's done anything to this point to warrant being mentioned with the other two players in terms of helping us qualify for the WCQ (which is pretty much what the OP is insinuating)

Bunbury would be competing for a starting spot with Friend, Jackson, Occean, Hume, Gerba, Haber, and Ricketts (and possibly Hoilett). He can compete all he wants, but he needs to show a little more professionally before I think he's the answer. He did just score his first professional goal last week.

Friend? nothing there anymore... Gerba? Same diagnosis... Hume? Well we'll have to wait and see how the first Camp shapes up... Only the young, and proven producers will survive during this Campaign IMHO (excluding the Heart of the midfield for now DeRo and Deguzman for the next three years anyway), Hart will want to build towards 2018 and if it so happens that we make it 2014 thats a bonus.

I didn't say he was the answer but IMHO he will get the start in front of Friend and Gerba providing he keeps the form hes showing with Kansas right now.

Bunbury, Jackson and Haber are the future, thats why I said what I said.

Sorry about all the (…)s El Hombre :)

Friend? nothing there anymore... Gerba? Same diagnosis... Hume? Well we'll have to wait and see how the first Camp shapes up... Only the young, and proven producers will survive during this Campaign IMHO (excluding the Heart of the midfield for now DeRo and Deguzman for the next three years anyway), Hart will want to build towards 2018 and if it so happens that we make it 2014 thats a bonus.

I didn't say he was the answer but IMHO he will get the start in front of Friend and Gerba providing he keeps the form hes showing with Kansas right now.

Bunbury, Jackson and Haber are the future, thats why I said what I said.

Sorry about all the (…)s El Hombre :)

I'll take ex-German international Markus Babbel's opinion over yours on Friend.

I'll take ex-German international Markus Babbel's opinion over yours on Friend.

Dunno, what Babbel said... but Friend has 2 goals for the Nats in something like 23-24 starts? He is a producer in Germany for sure but hes almost 30.

Ali Gerba has way more goals in less starts and is younger, would you start him over Friend?

No Canadian striker has a good strike rate other than Gerba (and Gavin McCallum, I guess), so you can remove that variable from the equation. Friend might be getting old to be a useful contributor come 2014, but as the target man for the biggest team in the 2. Bundesliga, he can easily claim to be playing at the highest level professionally.

Hart will want to build towards 2018 and if it so happens that we make it 2014 thats a bonus.

If Hart is building towards 2018 then he'll be out of a job faster than you can say Bunberry. Harts' job is to win, NOW. He should be looking to field the best squad game in and game out - with the exception of "B" friendlies on non-FIFA dates - and making sure we're ready for the next round of WCQ.

No Canadian striker has a good strike rate other than Gerba (and Gavin McCallum, I guess), so you can remove that variable from the equation. Friend might be getting old to be a useful contributor come 2014, but as the target man for the biggest team in the 2. Bundesliga, he can easily claim to be playing at the highest level professionally.

Well I don't see you leave me any basis for argument, you're saying we should take the best of the worst instead of giving the kid a shot straight off the bat? If we remove that variable then on pure form I would still choose Teal.

If Hart is building towards 2018 then he'll be out of a job faster than you can say Bunberry. Harts' job is to win, NOW. He should be looking to field the best squad game in and game out - with the exception of "B" friendlies on non-FIFA dates - and making sure we're ready for the next round of WCQ.

I don't see how building properly for the future will harm our chances for 2014, its already a lofty proposition considering the resources at hand. My point is building a solid foundation of good young talent that will be together for the next 6,7,8 years might just get us into the finals in Brasil 2014. Harts job is safe, that is if he dosen't bail on his own account.

Every Coaches job is to "WIN NOW" I don't see how that has ever changed, remember Hart has just recently been "let off the leash" and been chosen as the number one guy, even if he fails to qualify for 2014, he will still have the job if he wants it.

Archived