Hoilett, Jono and Bunbury?

Seb of Mtl

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holland have just drawn 1-1 away to Ukraine (fantastic new stadium in Donetsk by the way for Euro 2012) and every single one of the B-Team really impressed. Maduro, Leroy Fer and Theo Janssen were particulary impressive in midfield so Jono must have been watching with a lot of stress. The league in Ukraine has started a few months ago and were at full strength and only got the draw due to a great free-kick.

The U21's are through to the play-offs after their 7th straight win leaving Spain far behind (8 points) and unable to qualify.

If there was ever a right time to call Jono > It is now.

Ukraine wasn't quite full strength. Three out of four in the starting backline had less than 5 caps. Substantial minutes were also given to some u21 players. A dull first half and a decent second half. The Dutch B-team did look solid though.

Ukraine wasn't quite full strength. Three out of four in the starting backline had less than 5 caps. Substantial minutes were also given to some u21 players. A dull first half and a decent second half. The Dutch B-team did look solid though.

That could be. I don't know the regular Ukraine defenders apart from Chrygrinsky (and he was playing) but the complete midfield and attack was playing (Tymoschuk, Shevchenko, Milevskiy, Voronin, Aliev etc).

SCF08,

Do you think Jono's Canadianness (is that a word?) hurts his aspirations with Holland? For instance, would the coaches give a born and bred dutchmen the benefit of the doubt over Jono in picking players?? Is that a factor working against him?

No, his ''Canadianness'' doesn't come into play. He's lived in Holland for over 10 years now and he's got a Dutch passport > speaks Dutch so he is Dutch.

The best players always play...it's as simple as that. Bert van Marwijk knows Jono well because prior to the Holland job he was manager of Feyenoord and Jono is not good enough at the moment. Been injured for nearly 2 years...shown some terrible attitude towards the club and has now left on a free transfer for a potential relegation candidate in Spain.

He is on his way to ruining his own career and is rightly so nowhere near the top 20 midfielders in Holland.

He does not commit :(

I wouldn't be too concerned until he is scoring 8+ goals a season, because until then he won't be on the US radar. Plus I think we will call him before he gets to that point, as simply playing regularly in MLS will be enough to warrent a call up. And when we do call him it is going to be hard for him to turn it down I think.

I wouldn't be too concerned until he is scoring 8+ goals a season, because until then he won't be on the US radar. Plus I think we will call him before he gets to that point, as simply playing regularly in MLS will be enough to warrent a call up. And when we do call him it is going to be hard for him to turn it down I think.

Looks/sounds like he wants to play for US...

Looks/sounds like he wants to play for US...

Well, undoubtedly he has feelings towards the US considering his background, thats understandable. But is he a serious consideration for the US? No way! And therefore, his interview is hardly worrisome. I'm sure he would play for the US if they come calling but where is he on their depth chart? Altidore, Gomez, Findly (who is not in his best form), Buddle, Casey, Johnson, Cunningham, Davies (is likley to be given a look again), and even Adu are going to get called before he is even considered. Then you have some U-20's like Fraud Ibrahim who have done just as much as him but are already in their system.... And lets not forget that they are known to employ players like Donovan and Dempsey up front as well, so I think Bunburys chances of getting called for them are no more likley than Ibrahim's

Well, undoubtedly he has feelings towards the US considering his background, thats understandable. But is he a serious consideration for the US? No way! And therefore, his interview is hardly worrisome. I'm sure he would play for the US if they come calling but where is he on their depth chart? Altidore, Gomez, Findly (who is not in his best form), Buddle, Casey, Johnson, Cunningham, Davies (is likley to be given a look again), and even Adu are going to get called before he is even considered. Then you have some U-20's like Fraud Ibrahim who have done just as much as him but are already in their system.... And lets not forget that they are known to employ players like Donovan and Dempsey up front as well, so I think Bunburys chances of getting called for them are no more likley than Ibrahim's

A lot of those players are very unimpressive. The fact a no talent hack like Robbie Findley is starting for the US despite not even starting regularly for Salt Lake tells you all you need to know. Casey, Ching, and Cunningham are too old for the coming cycle. According to Sochaux management, Charlie Davies is not the same player he was before the crash. Adu is not a striker and still doesn't have a club for this season. Gomez is a year removed from being a released KC benchwarmer although he's doing well in Mexico. Johnson's back to wearing street clothes at Fulham. Buddle's having a good season at least.

If Bunbury was a midfielder i wouldn't be too concerned but I just don't see hack players like Findley being any representation of depth up front.

A lot of those players are very unimpressive. The fact a no talent hack like Robbie Findley is starting for the US despite not even starting regularly for Salt Lake tells you all you need to know. Casey, Ching, and Cunningham are too old for the coming cycle. According to Sochaux management, Charlie Davies is not the same player he was before the crash. Adu is not a striker and still doesn't have a club for this season. Gomez is a year removed from being a released KC benchwarmer although he's doing well in Mexico. Johnson's back to wearing street clothes at Fulham. Buddle's having a good season at least.

If Bunbury was a midfielder i wouldn't be too concerned but I just don't see hack players like Findley being any representation of depth up front.

What has Bunbury done to deserve a call from the US? His 2 goals in 15 apperances? Even Chad Barrett is ahead of him in the pecking order!

What has Bunbury done to deserve a call from the US? His 2 goals in 15 apperances? Even Chad Barrett is ahead of him in the pecking order!

I'm just saying it doesn't take much to get into contention. He's not in contention right now but it's not like he's gotta set the world on fire and win the golden boot to move up the pecking order.

I'm just saying it doesn't take much to get into contention. He's not in contention right now but it's not like he's gotta set the world on fire and win the golden boot to move up the pecking order.

True, he doesn't have to do much to get noticed, but he still has to do more than the strikers he is in competition with, such as the Barrett's of MLS. But yes, after the current 8 or 9 strikers in the US senior pool, anyone in MLS has a shot if they are playing well and are young.

Gold cup is next year though, and a confederations cup spot is on the line, so the US are likely to call their best squad, and it would shock me if Bunbury gets cap-tied at this tournament for them. Meanwhile we will be calling him from now until then and I can't see him repeatedly turning us down like Hoilett or Jono have.

Archived