Rising/Falling Stocks

Keegan

After this latest camp how have (and which) players have risen or fallen in your eyes from a CMNT perspective?

Fallers:

For me I think Klukowski and Stalteri were disappointments out there and their stocks have fallen especially with the play we have seen lately out of Klukowski. Another faller for me is Nik Ledgerwood who did not look impressive and I can see why we haven't seen more of him. Richard Hastings also fell a bit in my eyes but I didn't rate him too highly to begin with so Im not overly disappointed.

Risers:

I think it is encouraging that the players that rose in my eyes are young players, Adam Straith blew me away with his play and Eddy Sidra looked like he definitely belonged. Pacheco although just arriving sounds like he impressed but I'll leave that judgment to others.

We are definitely building depth and I would have a lot of trouble picking a 22 man roster at the moment but if I did so I know Adam Straith would be there for me and that is saying a lot with the depth we have at the back now a days

With Klukowski we really have to hope he was just tired or slightly injured or that for whatever reason it was a one-off. He really was terrible, poor on the ball and extremely poor decision making. Against Argentina one could maybe think he just didn't raise his game to that level but he was probably even worse against Venezuela. We have depth at his position but in the best case scenario he plays there at the level we have been used to for the past several years.

I agree with Klukowski, although I'm sure he'll regain his form for us in the future. However, I think De Jong should be given more oppurtunities at left back in the future. Defensievely, he has looked solid in that position during past games like against Costa Rica.

Klukowski had 2 poor games in the span of 5 days, considering his past track record i'm willing to give him a mulligan.

Fallers:

Ledgerwood is a fringe player for us and not much more, sort of like Pozniak or Harmse.

Dunfield doesn't belong at the international level.

Hainault, can be useful sometimes and other times...not.

Our forwards are not getting the job done, repeatedly.

Risers:

Pacheco, this guy might end up being the next Tony Menezes.

Straith looked solid, keep an eye on him.

Julian and Hutch, a reminder of how much of a drop-off there is in central midfield with our team.

McKenna and Jakovic, a reminder of how much of a drop-off there is in central defence with our team.

Jono and Jr. Hoilett, a reminder of how much we need some dynamic talent on this team.

ON THE RISE - THROUGH THE ROOF!:

- Straith... caps off his stellar club season by going the full 180 minutes in two high-pressure matches in South America. Especially given the tendency for Canadians to develop late, and especially as a defender, we can only have high hopes for this young man at the tender age of 20. Looked a little shaky on a couple turns, but once he slides over to RB he will likely look more comfortable. Canada's most improved player of the year!

ON THE RISE:

- Eddy Sidra... Did everything you could ask of him when he came on vs. Venezuela. Showed pace, showed determination, showed ability, showed desired. He needs to show more these characteristics at the first team level in Europe if he wants to keep getting the call for Canada though.

- Pacheco.... Looks like he might potentially be the type of mid-fielder we have been missing. Someone with a deft touch and a willingness to put a foot on the ball and keep possession. If we can see more fromm him in terms of distribution, he could well displace Bernier and move into the midfield with Hutch and JDG.

- Gavin McCallum.... Did the only thing we could ask him to do as a late offensive substitute: scored a goal. Potted a fair amount of goals for a midfielder at Hereford in League Two. Needs to move up the food chain to at least League One within the next 18 months to be considered in a full strength team. But at least he showed a spark. I will try and scout him a bit next year.

MOVING SIDEWAYS:

- Simeon Jackson... Another strong year in England until the hamstrings gave way. Relegation hurts. He needs to move on to a new club. Adequate performances for Canada, but needs to show more to become a mainstay.

- Rob Friend... Again a victim of being isolated up front for Canada. Seems to have stalled his progress in Germany. Hopefully he can rejuvenate next season.

- Ledgerwood and Wassey. Both did an adequate job, but neither look set to displace any of our regular starters. More progress needed, but still lots of time.

HEADED OUT THE DOOR:

- Hastings.... An admirable servant, but no longer part of a full strength XI, nor even a full strength 18. May have played his last games for Canada. Thanks for your dedication.

- Stalteri.... Ebbing ever nearer to the caps title and a truly a supporters favourite, how could we not admire this man's dedication to Canada throughout his ENTIRE career? If he finds a role at club level and remains willing to be involved as a substitute for Canada, he may be able to play a leadership role. But his performances in the last year indicate his time with the nats is coming to and end.

My current full-strength 18:

-------------------Hirschfeld-------------------

Straith-----Jakovic-----McKenna---Klukowski

-----------------De Guzman-------------------

------------Peters------Hutchinson------------

------Derosario-----------------------Simpson

---------------------Friend---------------------

SUBS:

Wagenaar

Edgar

De Jong

Sidra

Johnson

Pacheco

Jackson

RESERVES:

Mosalve or Al Shaibani

Hainault

Stalteri

Bernier

Hume

Gerba (if he finds a club)

POTENTIAL SHAKE-UPS:

Hoillett

Jono De Guzman

- Straith... caps off his stellar club season by going the full 180 minutes in two high-pressure matches in South America. Especially given the tendency for Canadians to develop late, and especially as a defender, we can only have high hopes for this young man at the tender age of 20. Looked a little shaky on a couple turns, but once he slides over to RB he will likely look more comfortable. Canada's most improved player of the year!

He must have left quite the impression on you in the Argentina match, for his 10 minutes on the pitch to seem like 90. Still, I can't say I disagree with your analysis. He is likely the most promising Canadian talent under 23 right now.

Also at this point, I think Attakora and even Cann deserve to be considered at the same level as Edgar and Hainault.

He must have left quite the impression on you in the Argentina match, for his 10 minutes on the pitch to seem like 90. Still, I can't say I disagree with your analysis. He is likely the most promising Canadian talent under 23 right now.

Also at this point, I think Attakora and even Cann deserve to be considered at the same level as Edgar and Hainault.

Haha oh dear. Straith-mania has carried me away. You are absolutely correct.

That's the same as mine, except for Johnson on for Peters.

You can't be serious? Edgar is at a higher level than those 3. He was played well in the best league in the world, but has been hampered sh**ty coaches. We need to get Edgar into the CMNT picture soon.

You can't be serious? Edgar is at a higher level than those 3. He was played well in the best league in the world, but has been hampered sh**ty coaches. We need to get Edgar into the CMNT picture soon.

Would you put him a head of Jakovic?

That's the same as mine, except for Johnson on for Peters.

I actually had Will in there and pulled him out.

I really like Johnson and found out at the Gold Cup that he is an inteligent, articulate and dedicated guy.

But PETERS is playing regularly at a higher level than Johnson, is significantly faster than Johnson, and if his display against Argentina is anything to judge by, has become more comfortable and confident on the ball than Johnson. Will's soccer IQ is top-notch, but sometime I worry he doesn't have the raw athleticism required to compete.

In my opinion he needs to hit the gym and work on his strength and pace. Because his raw skills are there.

Not now as Edgar has no CMNT experience. But I have confidence that Edgar would play himself ahead.

He could very well. I don't necessarily think Cann should get a national team call up from his recent good form with TFC, but Attakora and Haineult are people we should look at.

Isn't Steven Vittoria coming back to us or did I hear wrong?

He was played well in the best league in the world

uhhhhh, don't get too upset but I'd bet dollars to donuts that La Liga is better, they may not have a big 4, but like 3rd-12th is in the tottenham, villa, man city level of play, Newcastle getting relegated was a big deal, but teams as good if not better then newcastle are relegated almost yearly from la liga. That's why they don't have to overpay players(except for r madrid and barca), that's why so many teams make it into the extra 2 cl spots (after r madrid and barca) and do well with them, that's why clubs like deportivo can have players like de guzman on the bench if they feel like it. Literally everyone in latin america is dying to play in La Liga, on top of that, it may be changing but how many englanders are still dreaming of going to la liga? Alot of players prefer to relegate to segunda with a good team then immidiately jump ship, whereas teams in england are hardpressed to keep their stars if they go down.

and on topic, I'd give a small nod to peters, he seemed to be stalling for a while and now he seems to be pushing foreward again. I'm also a little hesitant to pile too much credit onto straith, he's young and he didn't look out of place (great) but defence is an odd thing to look at (I'm watching the canada venezuela match to make a video right now), when you don't notice them and the final score is respectable, they get a pat on the back and he hasn't exactly wowed me through technical play, pretty much a 7 for technical, mental, and it seems physical ability which is great for his age but don't build yourselves up too much because soon enough, at his age, he'll get skinned alive one game. Pretty much what I'm saying he's probably still a year or two away from being our starting CB but he definately vaulted himself ahead of hastings and probably hainault.

edit: also consistancy is pretty much the be all end all of defence and it'll be a few games yet before we can even make an early guess on that

Quite frankly, if Edgar keeps passing on pulling on our shirt, then I say quit worrying about him and focus on the young up and comers we have who could potentially play a huge role for our D: Attakora, Straith, Peters (if we play him as a defender), Jakovic (if we can still consider him young).

Edgar hasn't been playing consistently for a little while now, so why should we assume that just because he was sitting on the bench for first Newcastle, now Burnley, that he'll somehow be head and shoulders beyond our current selection?

I'm really looking forward to Toronto and Montreal to see who we call. Not sure bout everyone else, but doesn't it seem like we've actually got some depth finally? Even back during WCQ08 it didn't seem like we had really any depth whatsoever, but within the last six months it seems like Hart can be choosy to a degree, with the ability to go with tried and true or young up and coming.

Quite frankly, if Edgar keeps passing on pulling on our shirt, then I say quit worrying about him and focus on the young up and comers we have who could potentially play a huge role for our D: Attakora, Straith, Peters (if we play him as a defender), Jakovic (if we can still consider him young).

Edgar hasn't been playing consistently for a little while now, so why should we assume that just because he was sitting on the bench for first Newcastle, now Burnley, that he'll somehow be head and shoulders beyond our current selection?

I'm really looking forward to Toronto and Montreal to see who we call. Not sure bout everyone else, but doesn't it seem like we've actually got some depth finally? Even back during WCQ08 it didn't seem like we had really any depth whatsoever, but within the last six months it seems like Hart can be choosy to a degree, with the ability to go with tried and true or young up and coming.

I agree with this.

On a different note, why did Edgar pass on the South American friendlies?

ON THE RISE:

- Eddy Sidra... Did everything you could ask of him when he came on vs. Venezuela. Showed pace, showed determination, showed ability, showed desired. He needs to show more these characteristics at the first team level in Europe if he wants to keep getting the call for Canada though.

- Pacheco.... Looks like he might potentially be the type of mid-fielder we have been missing. Someone with a deft touch and a willingness to put a foot on the ball and keep possession. If we can see more fromm him in terms of distribution, he could well displace Bernier and move into the midfield with Hutch and JDG.

- Gavin McCallum.... Did the only thing we could ask him to do as a late offensive substitute: scored a goal. Potted a fair amount of goals for a midfielder at Hereford in League Two. Needs to move up the food chain to at least League One within the next 18 months to be considered in a full strength team. But at least he showed a spark. I will try and scout him a bit next year.

MOVING SIDEWAYS:

- Simeon Jackson... Another strong year in England until the hamstrings gave way. Relegation hurts. He needs to move on to a new club. Adequate performances for Canada, but needs to show more to become a mainstay.

- Rob Friend... Again a victim of being isolated up front for Canada. Seems to have stalled his progress in Germany. Hopefully he can rejuvenate next season.

- Ledgerwood and Wassey. Both did an adequate job, but neither look set to displace any of our regular starters. More progress needed, but still lots of time.

HEADED OUT THE DOOR:

- Hastings.... An admirable servant, but no longer part of a full strength XI, nor even a full strength 18. May have played his last games for Canada. Thanks for your dedication.

- Stalteri.... Ebbing ever nearer to the caps title and a truly a supporters favourite, how could we not admire this man's dedication to Canada throughout his ENTIRE career? If he finds a role at club level and remains willing to be involved as a substitute for Canada, he may be able to play a leadership role. But his performances in the last year indicate his time with the nats is coming to and end.

My current full-strength 18:

SUBS:

Wagenaar

Edgar

De Jong

Sidra

Johnson

Pacheco

Jackson

RESERVES:

Mosalve or Al Shaibani

Hainault

Stalteri

Bernier

Hume

Gerba (if he finds a club)

POTENTIAL SHAKE-UPS:

Hoillett

Jono De Guzman

What has Jackson shown for Canada that would place him ahead of Hume at this point in time?

I don't know why he hasn't shown up or if he ever intends to play for the MNT but the fact is we have to develop a pairing that has some chemistry! By not answering the call for his country Edgar riks falling way down on the depth chart for CB's! He may never prove whether he is a bona fide starter for us! A good argument can be made at this point that Cann and Nana deserve a look to see if they can coninue to play well at an even higher level!

I don't know why he hasn't shown up or if he ever intends to play for the MNT but the fact is we have to develop a pairing that has some chemistry! By not answering the call for his country Edgar riks falling way down on the depth chart for CB's! He may never prove whether he is a bona fide starter for us! A good argument can be made at this point that Cann and Nana deserve a look to see if they can coninue to play well at an even higher level!

to my knowledge this is the first time edgar has refused....he was an unused substitute when canada played iceland at the end of 2008, so he has answered the call then......i dont think he has been called since.

edgar needs more playing time obviously but he has defended some of the top players in the world on the biggest stage in the world....something few of our other defenders can say (stalteri, mckenna)....his experience though sporatic is at the highest quality....if he can spend a saturday afternoon defending nani, then i would certainly trust him against any concacaf striker......he would easily surpass any MLS player (or hastings) for the nats in my book.

i am betting this time it had something to do with his club situation.....he is in flux right now...i bet we hear about a move with him in the near future.

I don't agree at all. The gulf between EPL teams is massive. A fringe player (Edgar) for a poor EPL team is no sure bet. Edgar has had some good moments but he hasn't shown me anything to guarantee him a spot. I have been patient with his development as I always thought he had a huge upside. Now, however, I am starting to think he is another example of a young talent going to Britain, where they do a real good job of growing our young players egos but a piss poor job of actually developing a national team contributor.

I would like to see us have a good home series vs Peru and especially Honduras, with our consensus A-list squad available for the bulk of those matches. There are a few key players who I believe need to deliver the goods with their performances. If they don't deliver, I really don't want to hear or read about excuses.

I would like to see us have a good home series vs Peru and especially Honduras, with our consensus A-list squad available for the bulk of those matches. There are a few key players who I believe need to deliver the goods with their performances. If they don't deliver, I really don't want to hear or read about excuses.

Agreed, I think it is time for Hutchinson and Friend to step up, both are players who haven't shown much to the MNT since 2006 granted a game here and there yet both are considered by most to be automatic starters. Also Stalteri NEEDS to show something it really is getting old, really even during 2008 qualifiers when he was 30 he didn't show anything its time to find a new option. Peters, Attakora or Straith can all take that position.

Agreed, I think it is time for Hutchinson and Friend to step up, both are players who haven't shown much to the MNT since 2006 granted a game here and there yet both are considered by most to be automatic starters. Also Stalteri NEEDS to show something it really is getting old, really even during 2008 qualifiers when he was 30 he didn't show anything its time to find a new option. Peters, Attakora or Straith can all take that position.

I would rather that Stalteri DIDN'T show him, so as not to tempt Hart to keep him around after the caps record is attained. Once he gets the record, he deserves a plaque, a handshake, and then to be quickly despatched.

I don't agree at all. The gulf between EPL teams is massive. A fringe player (Edgar) for a poor EPL team is no sure bet. Edgar has had some good moments but he hasn't shown me anything to guarantee him a spot. I have been patient with his development as I always thought he had a huge upside. Now, however, I am starting to think he is another example of a young talent going to Britain, where they do a real good job of growing our young players egos but a piss poor job of actually developing a national team contributor.

What do you expect? They can't even develop their own players properly. This year is their last chance of winning a World Cup as a favourite because after this, the future isn't to bright when it comes to their talent level relative to the other big soccer nations of the world.

I would rather that Stalteri DIDN'T show him, so as not to tempt Hart to keep him around after the caps record is attained. Once he gets the record, he deserves a plaque, a handshake, and then to be quickly despatched.

It's getting to the point where Stalteri is getting in the way of the development of the players Keegan mentions! He's been a great for us, always answering the call but we have to move on!

Archived