Rising/Falling Stocks

Keegan

Agreed, I think it is time for Hutchinson and Friend to step up, both are players who haven't shown much to the MNT since 2006 granted a game here and there yet both are considered by most to be automatic starters. Also Stalteri NEEDS to show something it really is getting old, really even during 2008 qualifiers when he was 30 he didn't show anything its time to find a new option. Peters, Attakora or Straith can all take that position.

Ok, Friend, fair enough, he hasn't shown enough for Canada - but that is mostly due to him toiling like a chicken with his head cut off chasing defenders in a 4-5-1. The service to his has been woeful.

HUTCHINSON??? I thought he was our best midfielder at the Gold Cup last year. Played all four games, was given man of the match in Columbus vs. El Salvador. He was the most fit, and the most attacking of the midfield three. And he is now moving to PSV Eindhoven... I think he's doing alright.

Ok, Friend, fair enough, he hasn't shown enough for Canada - but that is mostly due to him toiling like a chicken with his head cut off chasing defenders in a 4-5-1. The service to his has been woeful.

HUTCHINSON??? I thought he was our best midfielder at the Gold Cup last year. Played all four games, was given man of the match in Columbus vs. El Salvador. He was the most fit, and the most attacking of the midfield three. And he is now moving to PSV Eindhoven... I think he's doing alright.

He's moving to PSV.. that is even more reason for him to show something. IMO he has had his moments but he hasn't been De Guzman good and I think he can be

I don't agree at all. The gulf between EPL teams is massive. A fringe player (Edgar) for a poor EPL team is no sure bet. .

the gulf between a low EPL team and where our other options play is just as massive.

i agree he is no sure bet but we know what hastings can do so in my opinion we should take the bet.

He's moving to PSV.. that is even more reason for him to show something. IMO he has had his moments but he hasn't been De Guzman good and I think he can be

DeGuzman's national team play has been that great for the last couple of years either. He was very poor in WCQ and hasn't done that much since then.

DeGuzman's national team play has been that great for the last couple of years either. He was very poor in WCQ and hasn't done that much since then.

Hart should learn a couple of things about JDG from TFC, he is not an attacking midfielder like they try to use him! He played well in that role in the 07 Gold Cup but he is far more effective starting attacks from a much deeper defensive postion, Preki recognized this and JDG is really starting to show his class with some dominating performances!

Ok, Friend, fair enough, he hasn't shown enough for Canada - but that is mostly due to him toiling like a chicken with his head cut off chasing defenders in a 4-5-1. The service to him has been woeful.

I hear the same thing about Gerba: if he's a nonfactor it's blamed on not getting service or the right kind of service. So who's not doing the job of providing the service?

My current full-strength 18:

-------------------Hirschfeld-------------------

Straith-----Jakovic-----McKenna---Klukowski

-----------------De Guzman------------------------

Johnson----Hutchinson------------ Simpson

----------- --------------Derosario –----------------

------------------Friend------------------------------

SUBS:

Edgar

De Jong

Attakora

Peters

Pacheco

Hume

Bunbury

Monsalve

Al-Shaibani

RESERVES:

Wagenaar

McCallum

Cann

Hainault

Pozniak

Sidra

Gerba

Nakajima

Stalteri

Bernier

Gerba

I have a long bench because these are the names I would like to see in for the September camp. If they were WCQ qualifiers I would probably go with Bernier over Pacheco and Jackson over Bunbury, but given that we have a nice chance to see some up-and-comers next to established guys, this is the time for proper evaluation of a little new blood while still sticking with the main core of the team.

-Bunbury over Jackson? Bunbury is playing regularly and will be courted by the US if we don't get our act together. That and it's easy to argue that Jackson's Lg 1 credentials are really untested against better players, and that he hasn't done that much for Canada yet in the fair number of chances he has been given. Plus he is 6'2 to Jackson's 5'8 in a confederation where we need to regain our credentials as hard-tackling players who are strong in the air and on set pieces.

-Pacheco over Bernier? Although Bernier is coming off probably his best season ever, he turns 31 this year and will be the next Hastings/Stalteri if we allow him to be. Yes, Pacheco is essentially a second division Portuguese player, but he shows promise and unique skills (as Canadian internationals go) and is just 25.

-Monsalve / Al Shaibani over Wagenaar? Monsalve is 21 and playing every game for his side. Haidar finished the season playing critical games in France. Why bring in a guy who couldn't get a single match with Falkirk last season? Even if KC signs him, at best he will be an MLS benchwarmer, another guy in Sutton's shoes. Why waste valuable national training time on guys so clearly sub-par?

-Defensive subs?? Edgar needs to show up for these game but won't, I will bet, although I penciled him in just the same. If Argentina in the off season didn't entice him then Peru at the start of the season when he trying to find his way will be no more appealing. I have an awful feeling he feels slighted and has a chip on his shoulder. I can't imagine he would be too impressed with playing behind an MLS defender like Jakovic, in any event. Presumptious?? Maybe, but what else do we have to draw our conclusions from? Attakora needs a chance and has earned a properlook. This is the year to integrate him into the team.

-Hume? This upcoming year is a make-or break season for Hume at club and country level. Will the old Hume reappear at club level? Has he fully recovered? His heart and dedication to Canada is damn easy to love but he really is on the cusp of being surpassed by a Johnson or a Peters, and that's disappointing from my point of view.

^^ Very good post nolando! I'm in agreement with your starting 11 for the most part, I'm not 100% sold on Simpson but I think he deserves to start at this point! To me Jackson should either be starting or ready to be a first offensive sub if needed, and I agree with what you are saying about Bunbury, we should get him capped, I'm looking forward to watching him today! Edgar is really starting to concern me as I have pointed out in numerous posts, don't know what's up but I'm starting to doubt whether he will ever show up! Fortunately we have many good players vying for spots at CB! Sidra IMO needs to be given a good look, if what he showed against Venezuela is any indication he might be pushing for a position on the left! I won't write of Wagenaar just yet either, he isn't that old for a keeper and maybe will get a break in MLS! Some good ideas, I look forward to the September friendlies!

I would have Ledgerwood in the mix ahead of a couple of your picks in the reserve list. I thought he was involved in a few of our best scoring opportunities against Venezuela and helped us control the midfield. But did turn the ball over badly a couple of times. I have expectations that Wassih will improve over the next year or so and be in the mix. I agree with your starting lineup 100%.

-Monsalve / Al Shaibani over Wagenaar? Monsalve is 21 and playing every game for his side. Haidar finished the season playing critical games in France. Why bring in a guy who couldn't get a single match with Falkirk last season? Even if KC signs him, at best he will be an MLS benchwarmer, another guy in Sutton's shoes. Why waste valuable national training time on guys so clearly sub-par?

I'm not sure where your love for Al-Shabani comes from. In another thread, you denigrate Wagenaar because he's only played one full season with a team (Yeovil). Al-Shabani only played 6 games for Nimes last year. Also, Al-Shabani is a year older than Josh to boot.

After Hirschfeld, the backup position is wide open for any one of Monsalve, Wagenaar, Al-Shabani, Latendresse-Levesque, Stamatopoulos and maybe even Sutton if he starts to get some playing time.

I'm not sure where your love for Al-Shabani comes from. In another thread, you denigrate Wagenaar because he's only played one full season with a team (Yeovil). Al-Shabani only played 6 games for Nimes last year. Also, Al-Shabani is a year older than Josh to boot. .

Josh last played a competitive match on May 2, 2009. In his final three matches with Yeovil, he let in a total of eleven goals.

Haidar last played last month, including the final six games of the season, posting two clean sheets, and letting in a total of eight goals, in arguably a better league.

I'm hardly sold on the guy, but I have yet to read a sensible argument for not letting Haidar have that start against Venezuela over Josh. To see what he could do if for no other reason. In my opinion he DESERVED it based on club play. What kind of message does it send to MNT hopefuls when guys not playing at all (not for more than an entire year) get to start ahead of them, at any position?

If there is a love affair that makes no sense whatsoever, it is the CSA's with Wagenaar.

I agree that the back-up position is indeed wide open for the taking. I just hope that the guys in the running all have a fair shot at it because we will certainly need more than one reliable keeper going forward over the next few years.

That's a great looking squad!

No unattached players to boot! :D

SUBS:

Edgar

De Jong

Attakora

Peters

Pacheco

Hume

Bunbury

Monsalve

Al-Shaibani

RESERVES:

Wagenaar

McCallum

Cann

Hainault

Pozniak

Sidra

Gerba

Nakajima

Stalteri

Bernier

Gerba

I disagree with a couple things here, gerba, say what you want, as a proven international goalscorer has to be ahead of bunbury except if your cap tieing. Besides the unknown factor of how consistant straith will be (I'm fine with that risk), I'd say johnson and simpson are the most likely to be the weak point so I'd move issey on to the bench for options.

I'm hardly sold on the guy, but I have yet to read a sensible argument for not letting Haidar have that start against Venezuela over Josh. To see what he could do if for no other reason. In my opinion he DESERVED it based on club play. What kind of message does it send to MNT hopefuls when guys not playing at all (not for more than an entire year) get to start ahead of them, at any position?

Seriously? The guy played six games. Good for him for making the most of the opportunity after the club decided to drop their starter once they were safe from relegation, but still it was six games after sitting on the bench for an entire season. If Falkirk weren't fighting relegation up until the final game and decided to switch things up like Nimes did and threw Josh a game or two, would that have made that much of a difference?

Also, prior to his handful of games and a cup appearance here and there, it seems that Al-Shaibani last played competitively in 2007 for the North York Astros. I'm not trying to champion one over the other, but there is very little that separates the two in my opinion.

Haidar last played last month, including the final six games of the season, posting two clean sheets, and letting in a total of eight goals, in arguably a better league.

If there is a love affair that makes no sense whatsoever, it is the CSA's with Wagenaar.

It sends the message that you have to earn your time, exactly the type of message MNT hopefulls should be getting. Coaches generally choose players for the starting lineup based on what they have seen them do. Games are also much preferrable to practices. Hart knows what Wagenaar can do since he has seen him play and selected him based on this for a game that as much as it was a training match it was also important to get a decent result out of. New players are generally eased in to a lineup under a good coach unless it is an emergency situation or the coach is extremely confident in his abilities. Haidar has played 6 professional matches in his ENTIRE CAREER. Who knews how he would react to his first national team game in a South American country to boot? And it is not like the 6 games were at EPL, Bundesliga or even Ligue 1 level. I have no problem with him playing 21 minutes in his first callup with the national team. It is not a sign of a love affair with Wagenaar or anything else, it is a sign he is a guy with very little professional experience making his debut in international play. I thought he looked decent without having a lot of saves to make and hope we see more of him and that he gets more playing time in Ligue 2 next year because we certainly do need more depth at his position. I also hope Wagenaar finds a team that needs a number 1 and can also get more playing time so the two of them can challenge for the backup spot to Lars and hopefully eventually also challenge Lars as a starter.

It sends the message that you have to earn your time, exactly the type of message MNT hopefulls should be getting.

+1

In regards to the best line up lists provided here, I agree with Ivan that we still need a bona fide defensive midfielder to emerge in the centre of the park, in front of the back four to disrupt counterattacks and win the ball.

+1

In regards to the best line up lists provided here, I agree with Ivan that we still need a bona fide defensive midfielder to emerge in the centre of the park, in front of the back four to disrupt counterattacks and win the ball.

Julian De Guzman! I think its time he takes that role at the MNT level and we let guys like DeRo, Johnson, Hutchinson etc. handle the offense from midfield

Julian De Guzman! I think its time he takes that role at the MNT level and we let guys like DeRo, Johnson, Hutchinson etc. handle the offense from midfield

Keegan, Jules is not the guy. He is skilled enough to play an offensive and defensive role in our midfield - kinda like the role he plays for TFC - but we need someone who strikes fear in the hearts of the opponents attackers. Someone to play the role of Saric or Sanyang at TFC - only better. My pick of existing players is Edgar (reminiscent of his role with our U20s in 2005 in Holland). Serioux played this role well in his early NT days - but I fear he is now past it. Unfortunately, our two best up-and-comers, were DeTullio & Lacoste-Lebuis who both had career-ending imjuries.

Serioux played this role well in his early NT days - but I fear he is now past it

He's also the only one who really came to my mind as a serious ball winner, but on top of getting older, he hasn't really played the role for a few years, I rememer we were a little weak at CB and he seemed like the natural solution with jules and hutch for dmf but it's looking like it should be ball winner (?), box to box central midfielder (julian) and hutch just as a central midfielder and our prospects at CB are pretty good too. The best hope I can think of for him is if theres a game against a strongish opponent and julian and hutch can't make it but maybe at this point it's better just to play a young guy. I'm also thinking though, in the argentina game, I'm kinda inclined to think if we could have gotten him he either would have won us a few more minutes of possession ... or gotten a red(which, hindsights 20/20, wouldn't matter).

Archived