Iran at BMO on September 4th?

loyola

I went to the game against Iran at Varsity Stadium in Aug. '97. I had no idea we'd be walking into a packed stadium with something like 19,000 Iranians and about 100 Canadians. I have never felt more like a minority in my own country then that game. We better make sure that doesn't happen again.

Oh and for those wondering, we lost 1-0. Dolan gave up a PK when he upended the Iranian forward who had been sent in alone on a Geoff Aunger back pass, one of about a dozen backpasses by Aunger that day compare to about two that went forward. How that guy kept making it on the field during that Qualifying cycle is beyond me, like Nick Garcia playing holding midfield...

good opponent, their probably a bit ahead of us (some players I'm thinking of may be near retired though) but there exactly the type of team we need to be competitive against to take a step foreward (I'd say there generally a top 50 team, often better and thats where were trying to go).

I don't know to much about friendlies, but why are we paying a fairly equal confederation 100k?

Plus won't the team have problems getting visas?

I think that we are paying because we are the host. We could be making hundreds of thousands of dollars on this match and all they get is 100k for their trouble. That's not a bad deal for us. If we played there it would probably be the same deal for us.

Iran has always been a decent team especially in the Middle Eastern region and they have qualified for World Cups recently and lots not forget they did knock off God's Team The U.S.A. in 1998. So I have to say a quality opponant at the same time a interesting one. It should make for a interesting crowd, looking forward to it.

^ Only makes sense. You leave a giant s***hole come to Canada, enjoy everything this amazing country offers and then turn your back. I just don't understand "Canadians" that don't want to be a Canadian first. We have to find a way to ensure that Canadian supporters get tickets (No opposition colours expect in the designated section?)

^ Only makes sense. You leave a giant s***hole come to Canada, enjoy everything this amazing country offers and then turn your back. I just don't understand "Canadians" that don't want to be a Canadian first. We have to find a way to ensure that Canadian supporters get tickets (No opposition colours expect in the designated section?)

I think people are overreacting a little with this stuff. Like someone said, in 1997 when I ran played here the crowd was cheering for both teams which IMO is nice for a friendly.

If I move to another country I would probably cheer for Canada if a game between both countries was to be played. I don't have a big problem with members of a community going out in mass to watch a soccer game with their native country. It is up to us to make sure they don't outnumber the Canadian fans.

If you come to Canada to abuse the health system, fraud the CRA, act as a criminal then I have a big problem with you. But cheering for your native country (and probably Canada as well) once every 10 years, I don't have much of a problem with you. I have a bigger problems with Canadians who are soccer fans but who refused to buy tickets for game like this because they are acting like a bunch of euro-snob. There lies the problem IMO.

You leave a giant s***hole come to Canada

play nice, no one likes having their nation called that even if it were true ( and I know a girl who had her face broken for being out after dark there, but that sort of talk is just incinderary). Save the generalized comments for someone who deserves it...you know....like the americans (joking)

i think people are overreacting a little with this stuff. Like someone said, in 1997 when i ran played here the crowd was cheering for both teams which imo is nice for a friendly.

If i move to another country i would probably cheer for canada if a game between both countries was to be played. I don't have a big problem with members of a community going out in mass to watch a soccer game with their native country. It is up to us to make sure they don't outnumber the canadian fans.

If you come to canada to abuse the health system, fraud the cra, act as a criminal then i have a big problem with you. But cheering for your native country (and probably canada as well) once every 10 years, i don't have much of a problem with you. I have a bigger problems with canadians who are soccer fans but who refused to buy tickets for game like this because they are acting like a bunch of euro-snob. There lies the problem imo.

applause!!

I went to the game against Iran at Varsity Stadium in Aug. '97. I had no idea we'd be walking into a packed stadium with something like 19,000 Iranians and about 100 Canadians. I have never felt more like a minority in my own country then that game. We better make sure that doesn't happen again.

Oh and for those wondering, we lost 1-0. Dolan gave up a PK when he upended the Iranian forward who had been sent in alone on a Geoff Aunger back pass, one of about a dozen backpasses by Aunger that day compare to about two that went forward. How that guy kept making it on the field during that Qualifying cycle is beyond me, like Nick Garcia playing holding midfield...

I too was at that match jpg, I was also shocked at how many Iranian supporters were there and the police presence! Hopefully we can do a better job with the home crowd for this one, realizing the Iranians will be out in force!

Iran is a decent opponent for us IMO, any home match is good at this point, I was just hoping for something a little more appealing to the masses (our masses) such as the US or a good Euro squad!

Euro teams would be tough to get at this time since most of their players are in-season in Europe and a whole bunch of Euro qualifiers are being played on those 2 dates. I would say it was impossible to get an Euro opponent on these days.

I like the idea of playing the USA at home. A South American opponent at home would've been nice too.

yeah, initially I didn't want to play them until a competitive match (use gc2007 as motivation) but we won't play them competetively until at least next summer and it's been 3 years so maybe that advantage is a little shot so maybe we should just play em cause their next door and their good.

Archived