Montreal In Soon, Ottawa will have to wait!

Trax

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/04/22/sp-mls-montreal.html

As the Habs will be eliminated shortly, all the peices of the puzzle are set to announce Montreal as the next hotbed for Canadian Soccer. That we already knew.

But what is interesting is that they are planning on focussing on Atlanta and Florida for the next franchise.

I guess St Louis and or Ottawa will have to wait!

My god... I really hope they stay the hell away from Florida. Haven't they learned anything from the NHL?? Florida is a ****ing graveyard for sports franchises (except baseball and the NFL... ok just a graveyard for soccer and hockey).

My god... I really hope they stay the hell away from Florida. Haven't they learned anything from the NHL?? Florida is a ****ing graveyard for sports franchises (except baseball and the NFL... ok just a graveyard for soccer and hockey).

Id say its also a graveyard for baseball

Acoording to this article http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=319033 Garber more than willing to exhume that graveyard for franchise # 20.

Also worth mentioning that although it's far in the future he eventually favors promotion/relegation with a more viable 2nd division.

The Ottawa Fat Cat's is about to start their inaugural season in the Inter-county Baseball League. Considering the trak record of failure (Lynx, RApidz, Voyageurs all folded), I don't have much hope for the Fat Cat's baseball.

But if the proposed Ottawa USL team ever comes around and they don'T go with the Fury... the Fat Cats FC would have a catchy acronym... :D

http://www.ottawafatcats.com/

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/04/22/sp-mls-montreal.html

As the Habs will be eliminated shortly, all the peices of the puzzle are set to announce Montreal as the next hotbed for Canadian Soccer. That we already knew.

But what is interesting is that they are planning on focussing on Atlanta and Florida for the next franchise.

You know Trax you can make a good arguement that Montreal is the Soccer capital of Canada right now, but having two cities that are Soccer mad (Toronto) will only be beneficial down the road. I am hoping we will see franchises in Q.C. Ottawa, Edmonton, Victoria, and Halifax.

My guess is that within 2 weeks after the habs are down we will know about MLS in Montreal. If not that it wil lbe announced just before or after WC.

Now My concern is that Montreal soccer fans need to get a group of supporters together.

Anyone interested in getting a group together!

My guess is that within 2 weeks after the habs are down we will know about MLS in Montreal. If not that it wil lbe announced just before or after WC.

Now My concern is that Montreal soccer fans need to get a group of supporters together.

Is that a joke??

Just the fact that you made that statement leads me to believe that you've never been to an Impact game in your life..

Actually I was at the final last year and many other games before that.

I am just not the type of fan that brakes havoc. I like chearing for my team loudly, comming early to the game to talk soccer with other supporters while enjoying stadium food or BBQ. Well I am not an Ultra.

Yet I like those supporters because they bring something interesting to the game, and thats why I would love to bring something of my own. I guess I shouldve said another supporters group!

I take all those comments littely! I doubt any of you volunteered for PDL teams across the country and for the Impact!

Actually I was at the final last year and many other games before that.

I am just not the type of fan that brakes havoc. I like chearing for my team loudly, comming early to the game to talk soccer with other supporters while enjoying stadium food or BBQ. Well I am not an Ultra.

Yet I like those supporters because they bring something interesting to the game, and thats why I would love to bring something of my own. I guess I shouldve said another supporters group!

I take all those comments littely! I doubt any of you volunteered for PDL teams across the country and for the Impact!

Seems Montreal having MLS will result in a new category of fans.. "Les Plastiques de Montreal" they will be famous for dying their hair ... and wearing white.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBi4dR8XPg ... Trax dont let the naysayers sway you .. start organising now and you can have LPM up and running for opening game in MLS.

Seems Montreal having MLS will result in a new category of fans.. "Les Plastiques de Montreal" they will be famous for dying their hair ... and wearing white.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBi4dR8XPg ... Trax dont let the naysayers sway you .. start organising now and you can have LPM up and running for opening game in MLS.

Great Idea! I am going to put my white suit on and go recruit right away in Metro stations!

I do not mean to sound like a total idiot here. But I always thought The Impact had there own Supporters Group similiar to the RedPatchBoys Which I am a member of, I remember them while I was watching that Champions League game against Santos at the Big Owe last year.

I do not mean to sound like a total idiot here. But I always thought The Impact had there own Supporters Group similiar to the RedPatchBoys Which I am a member of, I remember them while I was watching that Champions League game against Santos at the Big Owe last year.

What exactly are you asking here?

The U-Sector is to the UM02, as the Red Patch Boys are to _____(New Montreal Support Group when MLS rolls into town)

I would be a grand idea to get another supporters group up in Monreal when the MLS team is offical.

There is an important difference between the two scenarios, in my opinion, in that TFC were a completely new franchise with no links to a pre-existing USL-D1 team and the Toronto Lynx have continued to exist even after they were formed. There isn't the same continuity that will exist when/if the Whitecaps and Impact step up to MLS. It was never obvious to a lot of people what anything related to the Lynx had to do with the emergence of TFC. MLS expansion happened in spite of not because of the track record of the Lynx in a Toronto context after all. A lot of people rightly or wrongly regard the NASL era Toronto Blizzard as being the last truly pro level team to play in the GTA. The increasing success of the Impact and Whitecaps over the last five years or so means that a far greater portion of the soccer community in those cities see USL-D1 as a core and organic part of the history of pro soccer in their city rather than a rich guy's egotrip that almost nobody paid any attention to. Given that backdrop I suspect there is less chance of groups like RPB and the NEE emerging in Montreal and Vancouver because many/most of the people who would be likely to want to do that sort of thing are already involved.

The U-Sector is to the UM02, as the Red Patch Boys are to _____(New Montreal Support Group when MLS rolls into town). I would be a grand idea to get another supporters group up in Monreal when the MLS team is offical.

I don't think you can compare the Impact expansion to TFC. Impact have an existing franchise with an existing Ultra. Its the same team, same stadium with the same fans moving to a different league. They will definetely attract more casual supporters, but any new "hardcore" supporters will join the existing Ultra's. I don't think new supporters groups will form.

I think the Sounders is also a bad comparison, cause they significantly added more seating capacity when the moved to Qwest field, samething will happen with the Cap's, expansion from 5000 seats to 25 000 seats. This creates more room to add more supporters groups based on area of seating. Not sure what Saputo has planned, but I believe Saputo Field will only expand up to 20 000 seats.

I have to say that I am getting more nervous that the announcement is taking so long. Saputo said yesterday that there were problems that weren't settled yet. If this takes any longer, somewhere else will get the 19th team, and we'll have to wait to be 20th.

IT appears the league has already leaked out several "rumors" to the press, we've had several reports coming out of the media that Montreal will "likely" be the next team. As such, I'm optimistic that Montreal will be the next team. I can't imagine any other market, not even St Louis.

I'm kinda talking outta my ass on this one but would MLS consider another former NASL property to join the ranks? The article suggests a southeast USA market, and Tampa Bay is in that vicinity. I know they don't have a stadium but the name still has some brand power that MLS could leverage. Just a thought....

any new "hardcore" supporters will join the existing Ultra's. I don't think new supporters groups will form.

Actually, there are already some people who are expressing interest, on impactsoccer.com, in forming a new supporter's group that would have a different vibe from the Ultra's.

This creates more room to add more supporters groups based on area of seating. Not sure what Saputo has planned, but I believe Saputo Field will only expand up to 20 000 seats.

Well the expansion plans call for the construction of a new stand behind the west goal (where there are currently tents/loges). Seeing as supporter groups traditionaly set up behind the goal, I coud easily see the creation of a second supporter's section in the new stand.

Actually, there are already some people who are expressing interest, on impactsoccer.com, in forming a new supporter's group that would have a different vibe from the Ultra's.

Well the expansion plans call for the construction of a new stand behind the west goal (where there are currently tents/loges). Seeing as supporter groups traditionaly set up behind the goal, I coud easily see the creation of a second supporter's section in the new stand.

Its actually great having two huge supporter groups at other ends of the stadium. When I saw Standard de Liege play their fans were involved from one supporter group to the other at opposite ends of the stadium making the atmosphere electric. 10,000 die hards shouting from one end to the next is nothing but great stuff.

I think its healthy for a club to have more than one supporter group and I can't see why this won't be the case for the impact.

Archived