Canada vs Venezuela (May 29th)

loyola

I like what Hart is doing, giving everybody a kick at the ball and bringing in new players. Some of which impress me more than the old guys.

It was very refreshing to see all the new faces tonight. Especially the guys like Sidra, Straith and Pacheco who all looked good. Plus a certain GAVIN MCCALLUM!

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dave

Man, that guy has pace. Didn't realize how much.

Speed and ambition can make up for a lot of other shortcomings. I definitely hope we see more of him. Good on Hart for trying some newer players.

So, Pacheco, Sidra and Straith are CMNT quality players. IMO, between De Jong, Kuklowski and Sidra, 2 of them should start in left back and left wing positions. Nakajima again did a great job, I was worried about him since went low profile and then moved to the Dannish Second Division but he impressed me tonight.

So, Pacheco, Sidra and Straith are CMNT quality players. IMO, between De Jong, Kuklowski and Sidra, 2 of them should start in left back and left wing positions. Nakajima again did a great job, I was worried about him since went low profile and then moved to the Dannish Second Division but he impressed me tonight.

One player I was suprisingly disappointed in tonight was Klukowski he got beat several times down the left wing and wasn't anywhere near his best going forward. Still lets focus on the positives of tonight because for the first time in a while there are positives

I think Gavin replied in the best possible way to your post. :)

And your namesake gets a result in SA! I have to say that Wagenaar, whose save was key to the game, and Jackson stepped up in the 2nd half. It's really important to see so many young players get a chance and then pull a result out. Kudos to Hart for playing all of them. Great to see the guys from Germany I've been following for years.

I think a draw was fully deserved, even if we did start to run out of steam midway through the 2nd half with so many changes. I wish I had been the first Gian-Luca to play for Canada but congrats to Zavarise for the honour. Nice to see all of the new faces, and to be reminded what a Canadian goal looks like. Lots of promise out there - outside of that final awful free kick he did I liked what Massih Wassey brings - left footed players that are willing to strike from distance are something we haven't had enough of - at 21, with more years of development ahead of him, he has a future with the nats I feel. Pacheco looks like a real keeper - he plays a role and style as an attacking midfielder that we haven't had much of either. With more support with an experienced team around him, this could yield some dividends for us. Sidra's runs were excellent - I like Canadian players willing to take on players. And Straith looked comfortable for his first start. Good save by Wagenaar when needed and I like Al-Shabani screaming at his teammates at the end because he showed some urgency and cared about the result - good competitiveness, not treating it like a friendly.

Difficult to place too much stock in a game that was closer to an u23 friendly for both teams than it was to a first string match, but its good to get these players in the program and nice to end on such a positive note for them. Nice to see so many new faces celebrating a goal too!

And your namesake gets a result in SA! I have to say that Wagenaar, whose save was key to the game, and Jackson stepped up in the 2nd half. It's really important to see so many young players get a chance and then pull a result out. Kudos to Hart for playing all of them. Great to see the guys from Germany I've been following for years.

It's great, yes but I'd like to see Zaravise and Massey get playing time in their club's first team. As you said before, playing reserve matches are as good as nothing.

It's great, yes but I'd like to see Zaravise and Massey get playing time in their club's first team. As you said before, playing reserve matches are as good as nothing.

Amen to that. But a great result for these players. Massey showed well tonight.

Have to agree with a lot of what has been said already.

SIDRA:

Wow, a ton of pace, something we have been desperately missing as of late. Good on him for wanting to get forward and glad to see him make an impact. Now let's see him get some minutes at the 1st team level in Germany.

STRAITH:

Looked comfortable, but relatively quiet. Good solid performance, although he did get burned once in the 1st half on the counter-attack. Looks fully capable of doing a job for Canada at CB or RB.

PACHECO:

Turns out he plays a very 'un-canadian' game, and that is a bonus. Confident on the ball, good on set-pieces, willing to keep control of that play and make a pass with confidence. Could easily knock Bernier out of the midfield.

JACKSON:

Looked completely isolated up front, and I think we were all relishing a potential opportunity to see him and Friend paired together. Miscued on key chances, good on him for getting involved in that play though.

WASSEY:

Didn't particularly impress me, but still lots of time to develop. What is his natural position really?

WAGENAAR:

Great 2nd half save. Looked confident.

AL-SHAIBANI:

Looked competent. Distribution was both impressive and awful on separate occasions.

McCALLUM:

Minimal impact until the goal. Well...I guess you learn one thing in League Two...how to out-muscle and defender and stick your head on the ball in the box. It worked for him. What a treat to score a goal like that! Him and Jackson need to move up the food chain though.

NAKAJIMA-FARRAN:

For all the negative attention he's been getting in Denmark, I thought he was one of our most influential players in attack. Well done! Nice assist on the goal.

LEDGERWOOD:

Quiet game. Hard to read too much into his performance.

STALTERI, HASTINGS:

Both admirable servants... both need to step away from the national team.

KLUKOWSKI:

Has not looked good in either game. Hopefully he bounces back, but Canada has LOTS of depth at LB with De Jong and Sidra.

DUNFIELD:

Worst player on the pitch, by far.

THE REST:

Too little to make any assumptions, no one looked out of place though.

To be honest, Canada should have won this game. They (especially Jackson) wasted some quality chances that should have been a goal at least.

Anyway, I love how Canada plays the ball on the ground instead just kicking the ball down the field.

Interesting game up until the 90 minute mark when my PVR time recording was up. I missed the McCallum goal! If anyone can throw that one on Youtube I would really appreciate it. Maybe they'll show some highlights on sportsnet or something.

Someone made the comment that both teams looked pretty bad at times and I whole-heartedly agree. May have been the heat and altitude.

That being said there were some exciting things with some of these new players. First of all Pacheco looked great. He would be great in the middle with either Hutchinson or deGuzman if either are injured. Nakajima-Faran looked pretty good, and the thing I really like about him is his pace, and his ability to draw fouls. Sidra looked great and the run he made when he first came on was great. I didn't see the run he made that lead to the goal yet. Definitely deserves some more games.

To be honest, Canada should have won this game. They (especially Jackson) wasted some quality chances that should have been a goal at least.

Anyway, I love how Canada plays the ball on the ground instead just kicking the ball down the field.

I concur. We at least deserved a draw, but should of could of won this game. 2nd half was way better. We really brought it to them.

I just saw the goal highlight on Sportsnet. Nice set piece goal. Still missed the run and everything leading up to the free kick. It was in the 93rd minute Strobe...

Geez... where the heck was I!? I saw the players shaking hands after the whistle and I thought it ended in another goalless loss until I was reading the post-mortem here. I'm so ashamed...

Archived