WCQ

jaymmzzs

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Oh my. I am heartbroken over that Bosnia - Portugal score.

Oh my god but what's up with the report about the Bosnian fans spitting and jostling the portuguese players on the bus arriving before the game. If true that is pure classless. The portuguese team's behaviour is nothing to admire about. But you would never get that type of reception from the portuguese fans for any team arriving in Portugal. They got bigger fish to fry then that bullsh*t. Anyways good bosnia is out. Looks good on them too.

Well that WAS close. 2-1 aggregate after a hard-fought 1-1 draw in Montevideo and Costa Rica don't look so far off of those mid-table South American nations. So much for getting wiped from the table. I would rather watch Uruguay in South Africa, but it is a good statement about CONCACAF strength and how it compares, a favourite topic of discussion around these parts.

Henry admits hand ball

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAINT-DENIS, France -- France striker Thierry Henry admits he intentionally handled the ball to set up William Gallas' equalizing goal, sending France to the World Cup at Ireland's expense after an intense 1-1 draw Wednesday.

With Ireland leading 1-0 and the match level on aggregate deep into the first period of extra time, France won a free kick and Henry twice handled the ball -- stopping it going out of play, then controlling it -- in setting up Gallas for a header.

After the match, the Barcelona striker said Swedish referee Martin Hansson was the main culprit for not spotting the infringement.

"I will be honest, it was a handball. But I'm not the ref," Henry said. "I played it. The ref allowed it. That's a question you should ask him."

Henry, who enjoyed huge popularity while playing for Arsenal in the Premier League, will be vilified by the English press, who were quick to draw comparisons between Henry's handball and the famed 'Hand of God' during the 1986 World Cup, when Diego Maradona punched the ball into the net over goalkeeper Peter Shilton to knock England out of the quarter-finals.

The online version of leading tabloid newspaper The Sun called it "Le Hand of God," adding "Cheat Thierry does a Maradona."

The incident will also re-ignite heated debate as to whether video technology should be used in football to help referees, like similar technology is used in rugby.

Both FIFA president Sepp Blatter and UEFA president Michel Platini are against technology, preferring instead to experiment with five officials -- one additional official behind each goal -- during this season's inaugural Europa League.

Ireland captain Robbie Keane was furious with Henry, and said goalkeeper Shay Given had a clear view of the incident.

"We knew anyway. When you see the reaction of Shay, he's two yards away from it. You don't get a reaction like that (otherwise). (Henry) almost caught it and walked into the net with it," Keane said. "He's an absolutely top player and has been for a long time, but it was a clear handball. He actually dragged it in from going out. I wouldn't expect it from anybody."

After winning 1-0 in Dublin on Saturday, France won 2-1 on aggregate, and will play in its fourth straight World Cup.

Ireland failed to qualify, as in 2006. But Henry would not express any sympathy for the dejected Irish, preferring instead to pinpoint his own team's recent problems.

"We suffered for two years, we have been having some problems with our press, our fans, with other people," Henry said. "It would have been better to do it in another way, but as I said, I'm not the ref."

France struggled over both games, winning 1-0 at Croke Park with a deflected goal from Nicolas Anelka, and Henry praised Giovanni Trapattoni's resilient team.

"If they had got through it wouldn't have been robbery (lucky). We have a lot of respect for this team," Henry said. "We knew they play long and like a physical battle. You saw tonight that they are a very good team. I played eight years in England and I can tell you they are."

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Oh my god but what's up with the report about the Bosnian fans spitting and jostling the portuguese players on the bus arriving before the game. If true that is pure classless. The portuguese team's behaviour is nothing to admire about. But you would never get that type of reception from the portuguese fans for any team arriving in Portugal. They got bigger fish to fry then that bullsh*t. Anyways good bosnia is out. Looks good on them too.

THis stuff happens al over the world, don't kid yourself. Here in Egypt fans threw rocks at players on the team bus and as they ran off of it.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine when he was playing in U17 WCQ in Central America. The players were pelted with rocks as they got off the bus and they had bags of urine thrown at them when they were taking throw-ins/corners.

A guy I was friends with a few years back played at hte back for a Leeds youth with Woodgate and he told me of how before a match a brick was thrown at the team bus' window.

It is much more common than you think.

Guest Jeffery S.

The English press is going to vilify Henry because one Republic knocks out another? I can understand Ireland being frustrated, but the English? When Ireland celebrates when England loses?

Also: the whole idea of a game being replayed is ridiculous, especially in this case. Refs constantly miss penalties on the left side of the penalty box, as it is the weakest side of the pitch, the linesman on the other side; and here he missed a play in a crowd with the player's back to him, and the linesman did not see it either. They missed it, the goal stands, France is through. And I have no particular love for either team, the only team I am disappointed to see not go through is Russia as I find them entertaining.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Here is a video

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/nota%C2%ADcias/seleccao-portugal-seleccao-nacional-bosnia-fifa-maisfutebol/1103663-5199.html

click "Veja o vídeo da chegada a Sarajevo ".

Basically there a few idiots insulting them in portuguese and the rest is whistling or screaming "Bosna"!The Portuguese players don't seem scared or smth,most of them are actually laughing.

Bosnian fans showed up for some kind of "revenge" 'cause the portuguese police had been very brutal to our fans,even a woman got injured.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Hiddink's luck has run out it appears.

Hiddink has done a lot with Russia and one could argue that without him they wouldn't be playing as well as they are especially since they didn't play as a team before Hiddink came. Nevertheless, I think he must shoulder a lot of the blame for this loss as I think he came into it with the wrong tactics. Russia is a team with a terribly weak defence and a very creative attack. They needed to keep doing what brought them success in the last few years and attack. They shouldn't have been playing for 0-0 when they had given up an away goal. They needed to try to win this game 3-0. They are a much better team than Slovenia and are capable of beating them by 2 or 3 goals. However, playing for a tie with a weak defence is putting yourself at the mercy of luck. The Slovenian goal was a beautiful goal but also lucky, ie. if they try this 10 times they probably only get the ball placement and timing right once. Once they had the lead they showed how good they were at defending, this is their stock and trade as an underdog UEFA team. It is also hard sometimes to go into a game in defensive mode and then switch to attack. I think Russia had a much better chance at winning the game 1-0 or more than coming out of it with a 0-0 tie and Hiddink should have used tactics in line with thinking they are the superior team and confident they could win the game.

I thought the Kerzhakov red was harsh considering the keeper didn't have control of the ball and he kicked at the ball not the keeper. However, refs will often call offences involving the keeper more harshly and from far away where the ref was located it looked worse than it was.

It is starting to look like the opening rounds of this World Cup may not be up to the usual standard as there are a number of mediocre teams who have qualified.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Hiddink has done a lot with Russia and one could argue that without him they wouldn't be playing as well as they are especially since they didn't play as a team before Hiddink came. Nevertheless, I think he must shoulder a lot of the blame for this loss as I think he came into it with the wrong tactics. Russia is a team with a terribly weak defence and a very creative attack. They needed to keep doing what brought them success in the last few years and attack. They shouldn't have been playing for 0-0 when they had given up an away goal. They needed to try to win this game 3-0. They are a much better team than Slovenia and are capable of beating them by 2 or 3 goals. However, playing for a tie with a weak defence is putting yourself at the mercy of luck. The Slovenian goal was a beautiful goal but also lucky, ie. if they try this 10 times they probably only get the ball placement and timing right once. Once they had the lead they showed how good they were at defending, this is their stock and trade as an underdog UEFA team. It is also hard sometimes to go into a game in defensive mode and then switch to attack. I think Russia had a much better chance at winning the game 1-0 or more than coming out of it with a 0-0 tie and Hiddink should have used tactics in line with thinking they are the superior team and confident they could win the game.

I thought the Kerzhakov red was harsh considering the keeper didn't have control of the ball and he kicked at the ball not the keeper. However, refs will often call offences involving the keeper more harshly and from far away where the ref was located it looked worse than it was.

It is starting to look like the opening rounds of this World Cup may not be up to the usual standard as there are a number of mediocre teams who have qualified.

For me it is a big loss because of what you say, the great Russian attack. I will miss them at the WC. But on the other hand we get Nigeria and Cameroon, two classic sides who are going to give Africa a better chance at getting a team deep into the knock-out stage. I am also looking forward to seeing Chile under Bielsa. Uruguay is going to be more entertaining than Costa Rica, however much they have struggled to get through.

As for teams that are in the middle class qualifying, well that makes it fun too.

Time for a WC preview thread, but my picks for quarter finalists: Brazil, Argentina, England, Germany, Spain, Cameroon, and a couple of surprises, like South Korea and Denmark.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by FCH

If his image wasn't tarnished before it certainly is now. Disgraceful Thierry Henry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVZ7U3WmJNk

He handled the ball and he admitted he did it, openly and honestly. How is that disgraceful?

Almost every match you see strikers controlling bouncing balls with their arms or hands, some plays get called, others do not. Plenty of legit goals get called back because a control off a chest is deemed to be an upper arm.

Henry is perfectly right to say that the ref let it stand, but folks are wrong to say he should not have even tried to control the ball, because that is against the basic instinct of every player.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Well that WAS close. 2-1 aggregate after a hard-fought 1-1 draw in Montevideo and Costa Rica don't look so far off of those mid-table South American nations. So much for getting wiped from the table. I would rather watch Uruguay in South Africa, but it is a good statement about CONCACAF strength and how it compares, a favourite topic of discussion around these parts.

Did we watched the same game? I watched both of those games and I can assure you that Costa Rica was never even close to wining any of those two games. In yesterdays match the Costa Rican keeper made 7 goal scoring saves against 1 from the Uruguayan keeper, there is not comparison between the strength and the type of soccer these two nations play.

Obviously the tension and pressure plays a huge part on how teams perform but I'm certain that if FIFA ever decides to put CONCACAF and CONMEBOL together, divide them into four or five groups and qualified the first place teams (UEFA style) and a playoff between the second place teams....honestly, I'm not even sure if the US will make it.

In regards to the Thierry Henry play I think the answer is very simple, the referee didn't see the hand ball, neither did the linesman and since FIFA does not agree on using technology to clarified these situations, then just change the page and welcome France to the world cup. Also Henry admitted the handball, what else can he do now? the ball is with the FIFA's playmakers now. The just and fair thing to do would be to replay the game but if they do it, that will create a precedent that for sure will delay the qualifying process from now on, because everybody would come up with an excuse to replay a game. I definitely believe that Irland deserved to win the game yesterday, but we all know that only the ones that put the ball in the back of the net more often are the ones that end up winning the games and Ireland had a hard time doing that.

Now, I don't agree with FIFA's view point and ruling, simply because no body deserves to be out of a world cup after years of monetary investments, game planning plus players and fans hopes. But football is a business now and obviously France will sell more than Ireland, before, during and after the world cup (I don't agree with this either but that's how it is for now)

FIFA should implement the Video referee that rugby so wisely has adopted, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_referee

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Hand ball makes up for the clear penalty that was denied minutes earlier.

So the offside is the tiebreaker then! ;)

Seriously France has no business being in South Africa. Everybody would LOVE to draw France in the group-stage. They're the weakest seed apart from South Africa.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I don't think too many people were predicting a wipe-out. But really, the result was rarely ever in doubt. The worst thing that happened to Uruguay was scoring because it made them relax (even though the goal didn't actually mean much). But after a scary 5 minutes, URU were in total control again.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Seriously France has no business being in South Africa.

They're the weakest seed apart from South Africa.

Those two statements have nothing to do with one another. There are at least 20 other teams that, if they were seeded, could be switched with France in that first sentence.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Those two statements have nothing to do with one another. There are at least 20 other teams that, if they were seeded, could be switched with France in that first sentence.

[?]

Those 2 statements are somewhat related. Of course, you took out the sentence that connected them when you quoted my post.

20 other teams didn't cheat their way into the WC finals. France have become the poor man's Italy.

Thierry Henry was disgraceful on the pitch yesterday, he didn't have the ball bounce off of his hand accidentally, he reached out and palmed the ball intentionally, nothing to do with a footballers instinct.

Fat chance FIFA is going to do the right thing but this result shouldn't stand.

quote:Originally posted by bruen

Here is a video

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/nota%C2%ADcias/seleccao-portugal-seleccao-nacional-bosnia-fifa-maisfutebol/1103663-5199.html

click "Veja o vídeo da chegada a Sarajevo ".

Basically there a few idiots insulting them in portuguese and the rest is whistling or screaming "Bosna"!The Portuguese players don't seem scared or smth,most of them are actually laughing.

Bosnian fans showed up for some kind of "revenge" 'cause the portuguese police had been very brutal to our fans,even a woman got injured.

No sir, you seem to imply the blame goes to the portuguese police. You are either misinformed or quite the artiste. Look bud Portugal has some sort of pedigree with these things. The have hosted numerous euro games, exibitions , a euro championship. The portuguese police have some experience with these type of things and don't get too excited. To their credit they have not built a reputation for brutality, and fans of opposing teams love going there. The cops don't look for trouble. If there was a disturbance it would not surprise me if they were provoked. Intimidation is not a tactic familiar to the portuguese mindset. In the balkans maybe, get my drift? Based on the behaviour of the bosnian fans at the airport and stadium ( the ref gets hit by a missile.) It does not do your assertion of revenge any foundation. Thus I consider it weak and unbecoming.

Archived