WCQ

jaymmzzs

Nolando what game were you watching Costa Rica at home NEVER dominated this match and let alone for long stretches . What do you call dominating . If you cout ten passes in a row by Costa rica it was not in this game . Maybe the first half against the US or another game but not this one.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I only saw the first-half but Portugal were extremely lucky to be ahead 1-nil at halftime. How did the second-half go?

Portugal look very beatable without Ronaldo.

I didn't see the match at all, I just followed the match tracker while trying to get some work done.

I am not a fan of Portugal in particular, but I am for this series.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think if Aguero was playing the result would've been different. Tevez has completely lost it!! He's utter crap! Blew a number of opportunities in the second-half (I agree that Spain dominated the first-half, but I thought Argentina were the better team in the second-half).

The general interpretation here is that they were coasting, which you can't do. I though Argentina was horrible. But yes, take out Xavi and you lose a bit of identity, and Cesc plays in a different spot. Spain is going to have to sort out a clear style sans-Xavi for the World Cup. And a strategy for rough games with intimidating opponents, as they are a bit short and light weight.

Guest Jeffery S.

I only saw the first-half but Portugal were extremely lucky to be ahead 1-nil at halftime. How did the second-half go?

Portugal look very beatable without Ronaldo.

I saw the 2nd half. Bosnia looks to have problems creating play, they are a bit laborious, but then they came incredibly close at the end with a double knock on wood, a header bouncing off the ground then the crossbar, the rebound on a clear shot going off the post.

Since Portugal has struggled more at home this WCQ campaign, I am not sure they are going to be at a big disadvantage in Bosnia. But they are going to have to score, because Bosnia has able strikers and I doubt it is going to be scoreless. I predict a 2-1 with Portugal going through.

In case anyone missed it, France-Ireland was on TV5. Not sure if game 2 will be on Wednesday. Love the French commentary, nothing beats an 'oh lalalala' after a shocking miss. Ireland gave it a go and were unlucky not to get a draw. France were clearly more menacing. Anelka looks motivated and dangerous. Gignac looks to be a useful player.

Also watched Ukraine-Greece. Not sure why Greece ceded the home field advantage by playing at the half full Olympic Stadium with a chopped up pitch. As soon as I saw Ukraine's line-up, I knew they were playing for a draw as they left several attack-minded players on the bench. Having said that, they were the better team and created more. Milevsky, Yarmolenko and Shevchenko are better than anything Greece has. Samaras aside, Greece were dire.

1-0 Slovakia HT (Dedic 44'). Nice volley on an intelligent cross as there was only one Russian back to battle for the ball against two Slovanian forwards. Pretty dull game nonetheless as the ball is stuck in midfield. No great scoring opportunities as both teams seemed to be more worried about not letting one in. I'll stick to this game as between the three playoff games remaining this one is promising the most for the final minutes, playoff series is now all even.

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

I'll stick to this game as between the three playoff games remaining this one is promising the most for the final minutes, playoff series is now all even.

Actually, Slovenia are now ahead on away goals. France and Ireland are all even with Keane scoring at 33'.

In any case, why choose one when you can watch all three? :D

Halftime:

Bosnia 0-0 Portugal - Portugal ahead 1-0 on aggregate

Slovenia 1-0 Russia - aggregate 2-2, Slovenia ahead 1-0 on away goals

France 0-1 Ireland - aggregate 1-1, away goals 1-1

Archived