Vees Road trip - Toronto to Chicago - Semi Finals

Califax

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So to all you .. Chicago bound Vees .. enjoy the games.. oh wait were not going.. you were not in Philly .. twenty thousand Hondurans were, tailgating before the game, cheering during it and dancing after.. but nope you guys were on your collective FAT ASS and not in the stadium.

Bitch all you want till go to games in NUMBERS you aint going to get any respect from CONCACAF, or the refs.

You guys love to post on forums and pontificate but you dont go to see your team play .. you have no freakin HEART at all.

Califax, dont ever start a thread again ahead of a qualification.

PS.. the Hondurans were gracious to the few Canadian fans in the stadium and had cold beer for sale outside before the game, Philly was a great city visit, following your national team should be passionb not a well lets wait till next time thing.

PPS .. The Union was there promoting next years season, looks like they are going to do very well given the way they are doing things.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

So to all you .. Chicago bound Vees .. enjoy the games.. oh wait were not going.. you were not in Philly .. twenty thousand Hondurans were, tailgating before the game, cheering during it and dancing after.. but nope you guys were on your collective FAT ASS and not in the stadium.

Bitch all you want till go to games in NUMBERS you aint going to get any respect from CONCACAF, or the refs.

You guys love to post on forums and pontificate but you dont go to see your team play .. you have no freakin HEART at all.

PS.. the Hondurans were gracious to the few Canadian fans in the stadium and had cold beer for sale outside before the game, Philly was a great city visit, following your national team should be passionb not a well lets wait till next time thing.

PPS .. The Union was there promoting next years season, looks like they are going to do very well given the way they are doing things.

Really??? REALLY? that is all...

You're a cunt.

We're already eating our young are we? Unreal. Any Vee who firmly believes that an internet thread creation influenced a phantom hand ball call in continental quarter-final, gets my most sincere of apologies... of course my lack of heart calls the degree of sincerity into question, so I apologize about that as well.

We're all hurting my man.

I have no problem with a Chicago thread. I think we should be doing all we can to get as many as possible out to the games.

However, in focusing on Chicago, we seemed to abandon the Philly game.

There are complaints on this board all the time that there are no MNT games to see. Yet here was a game within driving distance of Southern Ontario on a sunny Saturday afternoon, a quarterfinal game for triple FIFA points against a team we should have felt passionate about beating after Montreal, and there was no noticeable Voyageur presence in the stadium. Because most of us chose to stay home and drink Canadian beer in our neighbourhood pub and wait for the Chicago trip.

Shame on us.

Thanks k-town, for saying what needed to be said, without coming off as a jerk or resorting to personal attacks.

For what it's worth, I think the attitude that usually takes hold in this forum probably helps to dissuade even gung-ho Voyageurs from making trips. Sure, I understand that when you get supporters of different club teams clumped together, there's the possibility for some disagreement and smack talk.

But reading this forum, every single day, there are just so many trivial, inane, pointless, pissing-contest arguments on topics of such insignificance that I'm sure many folks think "dear God, why would I ever want to meet some of these people, never mind watch a soccer game with them?"

Trillium, your point is a valid one (blabbing on this forum is one thing, actually making it out to the games is another), but do you really think your approach is going to help things? Yes, I realize that ultimately, we should be attending games because we support the national team, not because we necessarily like the other people in the stands... but sitting at the bar in Columbus, you seemed intent on starting an argument with anyone who wasn't from Montreal. What the hell is the point? Aren't we all on the same side?

For Christ's sakes, is it too much to ask that the people on this forum just act in a somewhat civil way towards each other? This isn't a "politics & religion" discussion forum where passions are meant to be inflamed, it's a bloody game we're talking about. And of course passions run high sometimes (especially after a game like Saturday's), but if we can't put aside our personal grievances, aimless vendettas and ego-stroking big talk to just discuss the national team in a meaningful way, then how can we possibly berate the CSA for being dysfunctional?

<MOD ALERT> Gentlemen, I need you all to chill.

There's a lot of reasons why Voyageurs may or may not be able to attend an event,

that may be second-nature to our CONCACAF neighbours. Some reasons may be costs,

family, job obligations, or simply couldn't have the time or logistics to make it

happen.

Yes, I would be impressed if thousands of Vaoyageurs could go. But I am impressed

for the few that did. I am also less impressed for the ones that COULD WATCH the

matches with other Voyageurs, but chose not to. That's too bad.

We should plan/save up, etc. for the NEXT road trip, rather than beat each other up.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Yes, I would be impressed if thousands of Vaoyageurs could go. But I am impressed

for the few that did. I am also less impressed for the ones that COULD WATCH the

matches with other Voyageurs, but chose not to. That's too bad.

Mea culpa.

I was out of town for the rest of the GC, but would have made the effort to go to Dylan's for Saturday, had an out-of-town friend not showed up and wanted to watch the Bomber game on Saturday.

So not only did I watch that miserable pointy-ball performance, I downloaded the match and got into a good rage the next morning.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I was out of town for the rest of the GC, but would have made the effort to go to Dylan's for Saturday, had an out-of-town friend not showed up and wanted to watch the Bomber game on Saturday.

So not only did I watch that miserable pointy-ball performance, I downloaded the match and got into a good rage the next morning.

No problem. It's different if you knew about the match, but couldn't

be bothered. How many of our friends/compatriots did that on Saturday?

How many Canadians not only couldn't be bothered unless it's hockey,

but even criticize our MNT despite all the obstacles (lack of money,

playing in various leagues, etc) it goes through?

Could these people imagine if Hockey Canada ever cancels training

camp because of lack of money? Or players declining an invitation

because they'd rather golf during summer?

If people only knew what it's like to be a Canadian Soccer fan.

We're subjected to ridicule from our friends, our opponents, and

ourselves all the time.

No problem. It's different if you knew about the match, but couldn't

be bothered. How many of our friends/compatriots did that on Saturday?

How many Canadians not only couldn't be bothered unless it's hockey,

but even criticize our MNT despite all the obstacles (lack of money,

playing in various leagues, etc) it goes through?

Could these people imagine if Hockey Canada ever cancels training

camp because of lack of money? Or players declining an invitation

because they'd rather golf during summer?

If people only knew what it's like to be a Canadian Soccer fan.

We're subjected to ridicule from our friends, our opponents, and

ourselves all the time.

I like this post. I like this thread. Some constructive discussion.

For various reasons I can't make the road trips to games in the U.S. MNT games in Montreal or Toronto are definitely doable for me and I give those opportunities due consideration.

I love this country and I love our game. It's hard to support our team when CONCACAF keeps screwing us over. It's like going to watch a game when the result has already been decided. Reading another chapter from Declan Hill's book last night, I learned that four games at WC 2006 were very likely fixed.

With all this bs, why should we put in our time, money, and commitment to attend games?

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

With all this bs, why should we put in our time, money, and commitment to attend games?

You should ask the same question to our players and you'd get

the same answer: I'd do it for my country, and maybe, just

maybe, win and tell all those nay-sayers they're f-ing wrong.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

You should ask the same question to our players and you'd get

the same answer: I'd do it for my country, and maybe, just

maybe, win and tell all those nay-sayers they're f-ing wrong.

Amen. One day we shall all be vindicated.

Just to make a few points to those who did not like the message....

1. Califax.. already said in the thread he was big enough to take any blame .... re taunting the soccer gods, he was upfront enough to do so.. I simply said.. dont start any more threads, given the result, and he seems to have taken my message with grace and understanding.

2. Heck even the Moderator was contemplating the closing of the thread before the game....

3. Previously I have said on the forum, dont wait go the the game thats next, not the one you have to wait for result for cause the result might not come.

4. An awfull lot of posters were crying foul .. on the result cause of CONCACAF well folks if the Hondurans have ten thousand or more fans at game there association punches higher then ours in the board rooms, if you dont get the connections between money and influence your never going to understand CONCACAF or FIFA or the CSA.

5. Its to laugh when people claim to support the Natonal team .. then dont watch the game ( and watch a CFL match ) etc.

6. I do understand lots of folks have reasons they can't get to a game, but then how do you explain how many Hondurans ended up in Philly for the game. If you want to do something you will find a way.

7. For those from Toronto and by that I mean the city and the 905 and those in the Golden Horseshoe .. who could not see the men on Saturday live in Philly .. what stopped you as Voyageurs from going to Rochester on Sunday to watch the Women's team ?

8. Yes I would like to see a great deal more passion from those who call themselves Voyageurs, some like Lord Bob and others have really been outstanding during the last series of games, its too bad more of you could not have enjoyed the games live, perhaps you need to start saving for the next round of games two years from now.

We need to do more as the Voyageurs, interestingly enough each time someone drives forward on a issue, be it press releases, or the V cup etc. the Voyageurs get a huge payback in stature and respect.

I would just like to see us do it from a fan point of view and create a culture in the V's that says .. what can I do to go to game, versus saying why I can not go.

Yep, because if there's one truth, its that everyone in Canada cheers for the national team *eyeroll*

As for the reason I didn't go, I didn't feel like getting fired from my job. If that means I'm not a, uh, true national team supporter, then really I don't give a ****.

Just to make a few points to those who did not like the message....

1. Califax.. already said in the thread he was big enough to take any blame .... re taunting the soccer gods, he was upfront enough to do so.. I simply said.. dont start any more threads, given the result, and he seems to have taken my message with grace and understanding.

2. Heck even the Moderator was contemplating the closing of the thread before the game....

3. Previously I have said on the forum, dont wait go the the game thats next, not the one you have to wait for result for cause the result might not come.

4. An awfull lot of posters were crying foul .. on the result cause of CONCACAF well folks if the Hondurans have ten thousand or more fans at game there association punches higher then ours in the board rooms, if you dont get the connections between money and influence your never going to understand CONCACAF or FIFA or the CSA.

5. Its to laugh when people claim to support the Natonal team .. then dont watch the game ( and watch a CFL match ) etc.

6. I do understand lots of folks have reasons they can't get to a game, but then how do you explain how many Hondurans ended up in Philly for the game. If you want to do something you will find a way.

7. For those from Toronto and by that I mean the city and the 905 and those in the Golden Horseshoe .. who could not see the men on Saturday live in Philly .. what stopped you as Voyageurs from going to Rochester on Sunday to watch the Women's team ?

8. Yes I would like to see a great deal more passion from those who call themselves Voyageurs, some like Lord Bob and others have really been outstanding during the last series of games, its too bad more of you could not have enjoyed the games live, perhaps you need to start saving for the next round of games two years from now.

We need to do more as the Voyageurs, interestingly enough each time someone drives forward on a issue, be it press releases, or the V cup etc. the Voyageurs get a huge payback in stature and respect.

I would just like to see us do it from a fan point of view and create a culture in the V's that says .. what can I do to go to game, versus saying why I can not go.

Here we go. And what about those overweight 30 and 40 somethings that sit around their offices all day ranting about how us 20 somethings aren't supporting the MNT. Can you even juggle a ball? That's the problem I have. These "soccer fans" that can't even take a corner kick or juggle the ball a few times. Somehow they're experts on the game and have the right to denounce players and "non-fans" alike. That's great if you attend games. My hat goes off to you.

FFS, everyone take a chill pill!

Trillium, good to meet you, BTW. We didn't agree on some issues when we had our chat but it was nice to see a fellow V in the crowd nonetheless.

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to do all these road trips. This trip cost me $300; I did it because I could. Doesn't make me a 'better supporter', only one who is fortunate to be able to do it. When I was 20 years old, I was just as passionate as now...but had to work on weekends to make ends meet. I suspect many on this forum are in that boat, regardless of age. At the end of the day, we are still all Voyageurs regardless of why people couldn't make it to Philadelphia.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

While trillium's message was a bit strong, it was not without merit.

QPR just took 917 fans to Aldershot for a pre-season friendly:

http://www.clubfanzine.com/QPR/v2.showNews.php?id=25573

"Apparently Aldershot were expecting 200 from W12, I certainly did not anticipate more than 400, in the end we got more than twice that. We arrived about 20 minutes before the kick off to find a queue of QPR fans snaking away from the turnstile and the home club was quickly forced into opening another gate for us all – by the time we got in the queue was twice as long behind us as it had been when we arrived. The majority of the seats for visitors in the side stand seemed to be taken and with the rain starting to fall we went for the covered terrace rather than the open one and that seemed reasonably full as well."

How many out of 30-odd million did we take to Philly for a GC quarter final?

Aldershot?

Know what you're getting at but maybe not the best example. I mean come on, if you want to compare then compare apples to apples.

Toronto to Hamilton(West London to Aldershot) is one thing. Toronto to Phili is quite another. Huge difference. Mentally, physically and financially.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

While trillium's message was a bit strong, it was not without merit.

[snip]

How many out of 30-odd million did we take to Philly for a GC quarter final?

Now here is an argument totally and utterly without merit.

TO to Philly:

quote:

The driving distance from Toronto to Philadelphia is 803 km (535mi) - about 8 hours 10 mins. (from: WikiAnswers)

London to Aldershot:

quote:

The distance between Aldershot and London is 32.91 miles and 52.95 kilometres. (from: Blurtit)

Even Montreal is over 600 Km (nearly 400 miles) to Philadelphia.

Anyone who gets to travel to a Canada away match is very lucky. Ordinary folks with families and responsibilities are sometimes lucky to have the time and money to go to the pub and watch with some friends.

Sure it's disappointing more couldn't go but ragging on what supporters we have? That's just not cool.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

What are you are you on about ? Seriously are you saying someone who is over forty and cant juggle a soccer ball anymore or take a corner kick cant understand the game, and be a fan ?

Thats actually pretty wierd to have that attitude, now if you were specifically talking about me .. all well and good, make it specific if it makes you feel good.

When you tell me who you play for and your depth of soccer background and knowledge let alone dedication to the game, and experience we can have a relevant debate .. till then I will simply take the view my comments have gotten to you.

Since you the one who on one of the posts has said why waste your money supporting the National team if they dont win...cause of all the BS... I will put you down as a ... delitante.

Archived