Vees Road trip - Toronto to Chicago - Semi Finals

Califax

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

not sure what "delitante" means but I'm in the midst of putting together a little youtube video showcasing a few of my soccer skills. 15 years of playing competitive soccer. figure i can make a fair assessment on certain situations. I'll post the link when I get it done ( 1 - 2 weeks. got a few segments done already).

it wasn't a problem for me until things got out of hand. you're one of those armchair supporters. i don't usually mind them but when they talk crap like what's a "real" fan and this and that then I like to intervene with that supposition: that there are so many people who can't even carry the ball up field who have such "expert" analysis of the situations re: "real" fans, quality players, crap players, etc.

barrett's a popular target on here at times. i know what it's like to have an off game or to have your foot not always connect the way you want it to with the ball, etc. you get your experience from your office chair/laz - y boy/etc. that's my comment. delitante. i'll look that up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might want to look up 'moron', 'pompous arse','egregious dickhead' among other words while you are wiki'ing. Might save you some time in the future when reading my replies to your posts.

BTW, that would be 'dilettante' -- as in someone who doesn't really give a rat's ass about the Cdn national men's team (as you were horrified to see nobody had posted about Chelski in Seattle at this site when our men are playing in a f*ing 1/4 final in our confederations championship) but in his dabbling on this forum likes to tell us how great soccer player/coach/mind he is.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

I am truly looking forward to your youtube video showcase, you did not mention who you are playing for in Ottawa .. I guess your so good your with St. Anthonys ?

Seriously what club and team are you playing on, would love to know.

By the way do you know what the Swiss bolt is ?

You might wiki it also .. to add to your soccer knowledge.

I think Trillium is being too hard on other posters who didn't attend the game but he does have a valid point in a couple of areas. I applaud Trillium for his dedication in going to a lot of games but he also has the ability to do so. I considered going to the Philadelphia game but it was pretty hard for me to justify since I was working and would not only have to pay for the trip but lose a significant amount of additional money from not working. I am sure many others were in a similar boat. If I could have afforded it I would have attended all of Canada's matches as well as all of the Impact's CCL matches last year in addition to the one in Mexico I did attend. As it stands I would prefer to save my money for WCQ in 3 years than spend it even on the next Gold Cup though if something were near and not too expensive I would attend. I would have gone to the final in New York if we had made it that far this year.

It is true though that if we want to reduce the risk of continually being ripped off by CONCACAF, having more Canada fans at games would help. However, this is less the fault of the Voyageurs than the fact that soccer is still a niche sport in Canada and until our national team starts getting some positive results they will not build much of a mainstream following. I doubt many of the Honduran fans at the game came from cities as far away as Montreal or Toronto. Not only would Philadelphia have a sizeable Honduran population so would many of the numerous nearby cities especially New York an hours drive away. Soccer is the most popular sport in Honduras and they follow it like the average Canadian follows hockey. Were the Canadian national hockey team to play in Philadelphia the Canadians living in the region would easily fill the arena and there would be more demand for tickets than seats. For soccer the local Canadians probably don't even know a game is being played and if they do they do not have the interest in soccer that the Hondurans do. As soccer gets more prominent in this country hopefully that will change.

The more Voyageurs we get out to games the better but it is unreasonable to expect that everyone has the means to go to numerous games hundreds of kilometers away. If we get more attendance there will be more financial incentive for CONCACAF to let us get further in the competition and the increased attention will make it harder for them to screw us. Yet things are getting better compared to the past. We had a small but visible presence in every game and meetings accross the country in bars to watch them. There were major sports shows that showed the highlights and held no punches back in declaring the penalty call a disgrace. We are starting to travel both for the national team games and Canadian club games. The numbers will hopefully grow in the coming years. I suspect for the next WCQ that we will have people at all the group stage away games and hopefully the Hex games. By the next WCQ we will have had 4 groups of fans who have travelled through CONCACAF supporting their club teams and this experience will help when it comes to similar national team travels. Hopefully we can work on things so that not only do we have a home atmosphere in Toronto but also in Montreal and Edmonton. Montreal was a disaster this time but we still had a Voyageurs section of about 400 while a similar game 4 years earlier would have had 20 Voyageurs. As long as the CSA cooperates and the national team starts playing decently (I know these are not givens) we should be able to grow our supporter numbers both home and away significantly.

Stumbling on this thred just about ruined my lunch. Constructive conversation one thing but what the hell is this?

As I've written before, everyone who can make it down to these games is my hero. That's awesome. I really wish that I could. Everyone who supports as best they can (like devoting time to a supporter's forum), cheers to you as well. If you're broke, don't play soccer, are over 40, or have only made 3 posts, you're still 100% Voyageur to me.

To everyone who questions their fellow V's integrity for their financial situation or differences in opinion, I would strongly recommend checking out www.thecomedynetwork.ca for South Park's episode of when Butter's gets balls attached to his chin by the Star Trek geeks down the street. They beat the crap out of each other because they disagree on whether there were 160 or 161 episodes of the orginal series (or something like that). I really think that it applies here. And it's a really funny episode.

PS: if you don't like south park you're not a real voyageur.

Archived