Gold Cup: Toronto Viewing

BrennanFan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are able but remember baseball comes first.That's what I experienced.I hate that hidden resentment.Anyway speak to the bald guy and I hope he made up his list so soccer is ok,Weird and annoying.

Hey come to my house in Pickering,60 inch screen etc.

I should be able to make it again to Scallys on Friday.

John, there shouldn't be a problem as there'll likely be a group wearing red this time. I'm a bit surprised you had a tough time of it on Tuesday as of the 30-40 people who watched the Jamiaca match Friday, the majority were not Voyageurs, IMO. That, and the fact that Scallys IS a footie's pub. :)

quote:Originally posted by Metro

I should be able to make it again to Scallys on Friday.

John, there shouldn't be a problem as there'll likely be a group wearing red this time. I'm a bit surprised you had a tough time of it on Tuesday as of the 30-40 people who watched the Jamiaca match Friday, the majority were not Voyageurs, IMO. That, and the fact that Scallys IS a footie's pub. :)

Indeed. Other sports like baseball are things they put on at Scallywags only when there is no soccer to be watched. Also a good place for cricket and rugby.

S.

Hate to start a new thread but I figured some locals would be down. Anyone know a good place in Hamilton to meet up for the Gold Cup match? I would go to T.O. but have to work at 7am the next morning so it probably won't work out for me.

Stay away from scalleywags. Its not soccer freindly at all when it comes to things like TFC and National team matches.

Trust me, its a very fickle and phoney image thing that they have going as far as soccer. I was there with group of five to watch the TFC-Hou game several weeks ago. A group of two to three others that I didn't know came in in TFC gear later. All this time, they refused to put theTF game on the main screen but instead they stuck in the booths in teh far corner where we were cramped and where you have to twist your head to watch on a tiny screen with no sound near the ceiling.

Thye tried to give me some total BS that people wanted to watch the hockey playoff game on the big screen but it was total garbage. I turned around immediately whan I heard that and looked at those people and there were three couple dining in separate tables not watching hockey and not even romotely interested in the game. Nobody else was was in there in the bar. and it stayed that way until very late when a group came in for a birthday party. Again no one was watching hockey. Yet, events like soccer is what the joint protrays its self as.

I should add that we were a group that didn'd go there to mooch either. in otherword, I could underand, if its 3-4 rowdy looking types who walk screaming for the soccer game. Au contraire, we were the types who comparatively would run up a decent tab and it was pretty obvious from the get go why we went to that place.

Yet this is place that tries to present itself as soccer pub. yeah sure, it pretty full on saturday morning when the epl matches are on. But hello, this is also the place when the press conferance to announce the Mo Johnston hiring. I was there for that event as well.

quote:Originally posted by Soldeed

Indeed. Other sports like baseball are things they put on at Scallywags only when there is no soccer to be watched. Also a good place for cricket and rugby.

S.

Well thats not true at all Mike. See my post above. Establishment like this can be real phoney when it comes to these things. Try walking with one or two others asking for the soccer game. Then wait for the answer while 30-40 people are waiting outside for signal. As you get the cold shoulder, send teh signal for the other 40 to walk in instantaneously and watch their reaction. I'd love to organize something like that.

I know its all business and thats fair with me. But this place portrayes itself a soccer pub.

quote:Originally posted by Soldeed

S.

Well thats not true at all Mike. See my post above. Establishment like this can be real phoney when it comes to these things. Try walking with one or two others asking for the soccer game. Then wait for the answer while 30-40 people are waiting outside for signal. As you get the cold shoulder, send teh signal for the other 40 to walk in instantaneously and watch their reaction. I'd love to organize something like that.

I know its all business and thats fair with me. But this place portrayes itself a soccer pub.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The situation you encountered doesn't entirely surprise me when it comes to TFC but I've never felt unwelcome going their to watch a Canada game. It's true that the place can really be swayed by who is there at a particular moment. Sometimes it can be a very young and loud crowd not interested in watching any kind of sports.

It is a very EPL/ex-pat place and I think the idea of football outside of daytime hours might be a culture shock for some of the staff. I think the best thing is to show up to watch Canada with numbers and show them where they are wrong. There were 30-40 of us there for the Jamaica game and we were more than welcome.

S.

~Guys I have been running into soccer resentment ever since I came to Canada 49 years ago.I recognize that facial expression and inner resentment.Scally crap is one of them.Even that S joe on King has that thing.I guess we just have to get use to being a minority and accept this resentment.I just hate it and only makes me promote soccer even more and yes I will win.Made a hell of a start with the Robbie.Yes they will fall.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

But you love the Duke, right? ;)

Can't beat the Duke, it was my first choice actually. But Im also ok with Scallywags as I see it as a neutral venue. I'd feel odd with all those RPBs coming into the Duke even for a Canada game.

Unfortunate to hear how they treated you freekick, that blows. But they were cool for the Jamaica match, so im sure things will be fine at Scallywags tomorrow.

I just recently moved to Toronto from Edmonton, but I would be down for ScallyWags if that is where everyone is going to be.

By the way, adidas store at Yonge and Dundas is running a 50% off sale (it's been on for a couple of weeks). I think it ends this weekend though. They have all sizes of both white and red Canada kits at 50% off. Great way to stock up for this tournament.

Last night I was at Scallywags, asked them to put Mexico-Panama on TV, and within five minutes, it was on two different televisions.

Free kick, I'm not sure how you can claim they're "not soccer friendly at all" when they put the TFC game on for you and your friends. The setup wasn't ideal, sure, but if they weren't soccer friendly at all - as many pubs are - they would have outright refused to put the game on TV. And john, considering the amount of cash that Scallys makes off of its weekend soccer broadcasts, I doubt management has any festering "inner resentment" towards the sport.

But whatever, everyone forms their own opinions based on their own experiences, I suppose.

When I was at SW and asked if the game could be put on,they had to check a list speak to that bald guy and finally the game was on. I detected that resentment and why all that commotion about checking a list.Every set was on baseball and even that was not really watched that much,except my neighbour on the right and left. Both were indeed very anti soccer.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

When I was at SW and asked if the game could be put on,they had to check a list speak to that bald guy and finally the game was on. I detected that resentment and why all that commotion about checking a list.Every set was on baseball and even that was not really watched that much,except my neighbour on the right and left. Both were indeed very anti soccer.

What game? When? How many people? All of these things are relevant. It might be bad customer service but that doesn't make it a conspiracy.

S.

I just moved here from montreal last week, there is a bar at runnymede and bloor (2 minutes from runnymede station on the south west side of bloor corner runnymede) that is good to watch games at. I dont know the name but it has TFC banners in the front of the bar. the bar tender was also watching and knew all the players, he put it on about five tv's while there was a blue jays game on.

Archived