• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^You're a good man Krammerhead. The Southside could use you in these troubled times. Can you tell us again what this "ban" is all about? Is it just from the Southsider board? Or is there more to the story?

The ban is from the southsiders board. Lets face it, if you are banned from the board and a number of posters seem to have a problem with you, there's no real point in my going to the games and having a stink break out.

Well done Krammerhead. That kind of put's things in perspective. Iain is a proud Canadian soccer fan and he has traveled to(Whitecap and Canada)games more than most on this board. He is an eccentric fellow I will agree but at the end of the day he loves the Whitecaps and he loves Canada and whether you care for him or not he is one of us.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

The ban is from the southsiders board. Lets face it, if you are banned from the board and a number of posters seem to have a problem with you, there's no real point in my going to the games and having a stink break out.

I would wager that at least 85% of the Southsiders don't have a problem with you. The other 15% you can just ignore.

We can defintely count all the Southsiders who post here on both our hands, so let's name names. I obviously don't know the story, but I do know a lot of those guys and I'm pretty sure Nazz, Max, Mass, Chris, Devon, Brett, Johnnie don't have a problem with you so who does that leave? Andrew? Let's hug it out here and now. Life is too short. Let Evil Bert be our catharsis. :D

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

How well known are the Southsiders known among average, Euro-first soccer fans? If you were to walk into a pub during a Champions League day would most of the people there know about the group even if they don't follow the 'Caps all that closely?

If the answer is yes, then I suspect that there will only be one group. If it's no, Vancouver will have its own Red Patch Boys within a year...

The answer is no. I think the success of MLS in Toronto has made us forget the recent past. Would anybody in Toronto have known the U-Sector prior to MLS? The situation is the same here.

The important question is do people know about the U-Sector now?? I think the answer would be yes. I hope we can have the same success.

quote:Originally posted by masster

The answer is no. I think the success of MLS in Toronto has made us forget the recent past. Would anybody in Toronto have known the U-Sector prior to MLS? The situation is the same here.

The important question is do people know about the U-Sector now?? I think the answer would be yes. I hope we can have the same success.

actually most people don't know the u-sector, for sure not to the extent as they know the red patch boys. and that's mainly due to the fact that u-sector doesn't shamelessly self promote, and take every opportunity to publicly stroke mlse. also, the RPB is a larger, ontario wide group, while the u-sector is concentrated in downtown T.O.

will be interesting to see how the support develops in van. i know that the original seattle supporters framed themselves as an umbrella group that all other new groups should fall under.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

actually most people don't know the u-sector, for sure not to the extent as they know the red patch boys. and that's mainly due to the fact that u-sector doesn't shamelessly self promote, and take every opportunity to publicly stroke mlse. also, the RPB is a larger, ontario wide group, while the u-sector is concentrated in downtown T.O.

will be interesting to see how the support develops in van. i know that the original seattle supporters framed themselves as an umbrella group that all other new groups should fall under.

I think we're known among TFC fans...Red Patch has a higher profile (partly because they self-promote, partly because they are a little more PC than U-Sector and partly because U-Sector is often misidentified in media reports -- although that's changing).

But anyway, back on point. Section 8 in Chicago also operates as an umbrella for all supporter's groups. The key is they have distribution rights for the tickets in their section. If I were the Southsiders, I'd be on the phone with the Whitecaps FO already trying to work out an arrangement for the supporter’s section. Get control of it. It will help you in so many ways (and it will help the club. You sell it to them under the guise that controlling distribution will allow you to self-police your group better. One of the biggest issues we have in Toronto is dealing with about 3-4 rows of tourists in 113 that get in through ticks controlled by scalpers. The s hit that gets thrown on the pitch usually comes from them (that is when they aren't throwing coins at us).

Where to begin...

K-head is fully welcome in the Southside, as far as I'm concerned. He has a sort fuse for stupidity, occasionally doesn't restrain his comments on internet forums as much as he perhaps should (I suppose posting while drunk doesn't help...), has a sharp style and a willingness to return smack-talk. Ultimately it can lead to falling out with people. Hell, him and I have had the odd go at each other over the years. But I'd like to think that we have a mutual respect, knowing that we both have the sport in our blood, and have supported (and will continue to support) during good times and bad. (Oh, and a mutual intolerance for poor spelling/grammar. ;))

And it's much the same for Evil Bert. He's travelled to more away matches, both at the national and club level, than most people on this board. That in itself garners significant respect from me. As a recent example, he was part of the handful of Southsiders who went out to Montreal this past summer for the Voyageurs Cup and WCQ matches. The boy gets around. It took most glory hunters and bandwagoners in this city to have an MLS announcement before they could be bothered to follow Vancouver's club. But Evil Bert, just like Krammerhead, was there during the depths of the old A-League, watching as Vancouver played the likes of the Indiana Blast and El Paso Patriots. To me, that's a bigger badge than any of the MLS johnny-come-latelies will ever be able to pin to their chest.

It is for these same reasons that I respect the U-Sector, who were known as the Toronto Ultras back when I spent the 2002 season watching the Lynx. It was a dinky little group... but you know what? They were there. It would have been easy for them to not bother to attend. It would have been easy for them to have walked away from all of Nicole Hartell's nonsense. They could have protested at being bounced from Varsity to York University to Centennial (out in Etobicoke). They could have stayed home and watched the EPL on their televisions, like most of the Eurosnobs did back then (*cough* Red Patch Boys *cough*). But they were there - every single match.

And so today, when I see the Red Patch Boys getting the bulk of the media's attention in regards to TFC, I quietly smile to myself at the irony, for I know who the real supporters are in that city. Meanwhile, here in Vancouver, we may have our share of "Blue Patch Boys" in the near future, but it's the likes of the Evil Berts and the Krammerheads who make up this city's true fans.

Wow..seeing Evil Bert brought alot of memories in the Southside..miss the days of Hamish the Kid, Rasta, Johnnie Monster, Evil Bert, Ian Kennett, Devon, R2 and K-man at the back, all quiet, but still a threat to the opposition with some of his chants. Wow..time flies by when I haven't been to the Southside in the last 6 years. Rasta, should do something about organizing another Southside tourney at the EA Sports lawn. That was a fun time than. Here's to the Southsiders, although everyone in the Southside is considered a Southsider, only those few that I mentioned are the heart and soul of the Southside.

Sorry joined this this thread a little late but can only sum up whats alrady been said by some regular Voyaguer/Southsiders here that Ian aka Evil Bert is a great seupporter and though his humour may be a slightly off along with his timing ;) he still one of the many true country and club supporters in Canada.

Krammerhead have nothing but respect for you man you call as you see it and hold no punches and hope you join us again in the Southside beer is on me !

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Where to begin...

K-head is fully welcome in the Southside, as far as I'm concerned. He has a sort fuse for stupidity, occasionally doesn't restrain his comments on internet forums as much as he perhaps should (I suppose posting while drunk doesn't help...), has a sharp style and a willingness to return smack-talk. Ultimately it can lead to falling out with people. Hell, him and I have had the odd go at each other over the years. But I'd like to think that we have a mutual respect, knowing that we both have the sport in our blood, and have supported (and will continue to support) during good times and bad. (Oh, and a mutual intolerance for poor spelling/grammar. ;))

And it's much the same for Evil Bert. He's travelled to more away matches, both at the national and club level, than most people on this board. That in itself garners significant respect from me. As a recent example, he was part of the handful of Southsiders who went out to Montreal this past summer for the Voyageurs Cup and WCQ matches. The boy gets around. It took most glory hunters and bandwagoners in this city to have an MLS announcement before they could be bothered to follow Vancouver's club. But Evil Bert, just like Krammerhead, was there during the depths of the old A-League, watching as Vancouver played the likes of the Indiana Blast and El Paso Patriots. To me, that's a bigger badge than any of the MLS johnny-come-latelies will ever be able to pin to their chest.

It is for these same reasons that I respect the U-Sector, who were known as the Toronto Ultras back when I spent the 2002 season watching the Lynx. It was a dinky little group... but you know what? They were there. It would have been easy for them to not bother to attend. It would have been easy for them to have walked away from all of Nicole Hartell's nonsense. They could have protested at being bounced from Varsity to York University to Centennial (out in Etobicoke). They could have stayed home and watched the EPL on their televisions, like most of the Eurosnobs did back then (*cough* Red Patch Boys *cough*). But they were there - every single match.

And so today, when I see the Red Patch Boys getting the bulk of the media's attention in regards to TFC, I quietly smile to myself at the irony, for I know who the real supporters are in that city. Meanwhile, here in Vancouver, we may have our share of "Blue Patch Boys" in the near future, but it's the likes of the Evil Berts and the Krammerheads who make up this city's true fans.

Agreed with much of what you said about Evil Bert. It takes effort, money, and a lot of disappointment to follow clubs in this country pre-TFC. His commitment to the game seems to be unquestionable. I agree, it was a funny segment to see on Breakfast Television, but making fun of one supporter this way is wrong, specially if it comes from his own group of fans.

Another thing about your post that I have to disagree with....who the hell are you to judge the Red Patch Boys? How can you say they are not real fans, when there's been loads of dissapointment with TFC over the last two years? They could have just said "F*** it" and left. All I know is that they bring it every game with their flags, banners, voices etc and also follow the team away in large numbers. This whole "Holier Supporter than thou" attitude has got to change. Toronto got a proffesional team and people got behind it, sorry if that bothers you in Vancouver. Supporting the Lynx was never a prerequisite for supporting Toronto FC. Basically, I tend to notice there is a lot of RPB bashing on this board and yet I thought the point of it all was to push Canadian soccer forward. Nice to know some of us aren't welcome.

quote:Originally posted by CanadaLFC

Agreed with much of what you said about Evil Bert. It takes effort, money, and a lot of disappointment to follow clubs in this country pre-TFC. His commitment to the game seems to be unquestionable. I agree, it was a funny segment to see on Breakfast Television, but making fun of one supporter this way is wrong, specially if it comes from his own group of fans.

Another thing about your post that I have to disagree with....who the hell are you to judge the Red Patch Boys? How can you say they are not real fans, when there's been loads of dissapointment with TFC over the last two years? They could have just said "F*** it" and left. All I know is that they bring it every game with their flags, banners, voices etc and also follow the team away in large numbers. This whole "Holier Supporter than thou" attitude has got to change. Toronto got a proffesional team and people got behind it, sorry if that bothers you in Vancouver. Supporting the Lynx was never a prerequisite for supporting Toronto FC. Basically, I tend to notice there is a lot of RPB bashing on this board and yet I thought the point of it all was to push Canadian soccer forward. Nice to know some of us aren't welcome.

I have nothing but respect for Jack, Mike, Connie et al. I've closed Shoeless Joe's more than once -- good times. But, I'm U-Sector.

I'm U-Sector because before I was anything I was a Voyageur. And that's the thing. What resistance to RPB that you find on here comes less from the fact that they weren't around in the Lynx days than it does that they weren't there suffering with us supporting Canada prior to TFC.

The Red Patch are the guys that filled the bars and pubs on College Street during the World Cups. They grew up hooked on the sport through access on their TV screens. They didn't support the domestic game -- national team or club -- because, frankly, they weren't given much of a chance to. As already stated, you couldn't find the Lynx, And, Canada never plays here. How is a mystery that they weren't there?

But you know what? They are out there supporting Canada now. Not all of them, but most. They helped fill the south end Aug 20 and a few have even trickled over here from time to time (although this place isn't really that welcoming to new Toronto posters -- or old ones. there area few long time T.O. Vs that have pretty much written this place off).

U-Sector does deserve respect for always being there. But, things evolve and I can honestly say that the appearance of the RPB have been a Godsend for the game in this city. The sport is really starting to matter here now. U-Sector alone could not have made that happen.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

But you know what? They are out there supporting Canada now. Not all of them, but most. They helped fill the south end Aug 20 and a few have even trickled over here from time to time (although this place isn't really that welcoming to new Toronto posters -- or old ones. there area few long time T.O. Vs that have pretty much written this place off).

I agree with the rest of your post, though I think the bolded part is a touch melodramatic. Personally, fun was poked at the RPB based on the early rumour that they evolved from a Man U supporters group. Obviously the group has since proven itself. Even if one wasn't impressed in early 2007, by the time the Jamaica WCQ came round, nobody in their right mind can take the piss out of Toronto when it comes to support. I know a lot of people out here follow the club (at least from a distance) and wish them well in MLS for the time being.

So I wouldn't take B&W Army's comments too personally. In Canada right now, TFC are a big club. The current Southside is the type of support you'd find in a lower league club. Supporters of lower league clubs will always take shots at the big clubs, it's the natural order of things. Obviously a lot will change in 2011. Regardless, I don't think he's saying RPB aren't good supporters or can't be good Voyageurs. They just have a different history. Perhaps there's also a little fear in the "Evil Bert" thread that we will soon be encountering a rival supporters group. Potential tifo envy.

I will say the anti TO sentiments on this board are not really helped by the need by several TO posters to actively promote club rivalry here. It's a lose lose situation for you because, as a big club, if you win you were supposed to, if you lose it's thrown in your face twice as hard. If RPB or U-Sector post about Canada, anyone who comes at them for who they are or where they're from certainly won't be tolerated by the majority here.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I will say the anti TO sentiments on this board are not really helped by the need by several TO posters to actively promote club rivalry here. It's a lose lose situation for you because, as a big club, if you win you were supposed to, if you lose it's thrown in your face twice as hard. If RPB or U-Sector post about Canada, anyone who comes at them for who they are or where they're from certainly won't be tolerated by the majority here.

Well, if this is the reason for the anti-TO sentiment here I'm wondering why there's not much anti-MTL sentiment. Let's be fair, a lot of Impact fans have also use this forum to promote clubs rivalry lately (Trillium, Mpenza and Grizzly to name a few).

In the end, this needs to be reduced at some point because a lot of threads have been hijacked by club fans who need to remember what happened between them and the opposing fans in last year games...

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well, if this is the reason for the anti-TO sentiment here I'm wondering why there's not much anti-MTL sentiment. Let's be fair, a lot of Impact fans have also use this forum to promote clubs rivalry lately (Trillium, Mpenza and Grizzly to name a few).

I'm glad somebody (ie. not me) said it. [:P]

Truth be told, I don't really care about the anti-TO sentiment on here. I mean yeah, it gets annoying at times, but I get it. We're big, bad Toronto. The Centre of the Universe. We don't look outside of the GTA borders. Blah, blah, blah.

Rivalries are good. Playing the villain role for the rest of the country is better.

Archived