• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm glad somebody (ie. not me) said it. [:P]

Truth be told, I don't really care about the anti-TO sentiment on here. I mean yeah, it gets annoying at times, but I get it. We're big, bad Toronto. The Centre of the Universe. We don't look outside of the GTA borders. Blah, blah, blah.

Rivalries are good. Playing the villain role for the rest of the country is better.

IMO,promoting rivalries in a decent fashion is good for the sport in the country. It also helps people who aren't into the sport/team much, get into the spectacle of rivalries. e.g. fans from other MLS teams watching the matches between Toronto and Columbus. It'sone thing to support rivalries, it's another to get totally out of hand and bash an entire population of a certain city....and I've seen this happen before.

I personally don't care to argue which supporter group is better by whatever metric can be skewed. I do have a big problem with some of the Toronto supporters who think they invented supporting football in North America. I think we all know the ones. They are the ones posting on the message boards daft things like "Vancouver and Montreal should start supporter groups" and "I went to the Southsiders pub night in Vancouver, and they didn't compliment my TFC jersey". I also think alot of people on here are too sensitive. Like the TFC supporters that are in utter denial that any club or support group is doing anything better than them, and the Montreal & vancouver supporters that argue that the RPB aren't real supporters.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

I personally don't care to argue which supporter group is better by whatever metric can be skewed. I do have a big problem with some of the Toronto supporters who think they invented supporting football in North America. I think we all know the ones. They are the ones posting on the message boards daft things like "Vancouver and Montreal should start supporter groups" and "I went to the Southsiders pub night in Vancouver, and they didn't compliment my TFC jersey". I also think alot of people on here are too sensitive. Like the TFC supporters that are in utter denial that any club or support group is doing anything better than them, and the Montreal & vancouver supporters that argue that the RPB aren't real supporters.

Nah, they're just plastic supporters. Right? ;)

There is no real parallel between Toronto FC and the Whitecaps where a USL-D1 legacy is concerned. In Toronto, the Lynx still exist alongside TFC. That won't be the case in Vancouver where an pre-existing franchise is being "promoted". A lot of people rightly or wrongly don't see the relevance of anything related to Bruno and Nicole Hartrell's semi-pro bush league operation to TFC and see the NASL-era Blizzard as having been the last pro team in a Toronto context. That posture doesn't work so easily in a Vancouver context.

I question the degree to which anybody made an emotional investment in the Lynx (on a personal level although I followed how the Lynx were doing online I couldn't get into it to any significant extent after watching the original CSL descend into farce and fold). If they had to the extent people do over in Europe switching teams would not have been an easy thing to do. The fan group was the big thing for the people involved more than supporting a club through thick and thin in other words. Now that there finally is a truly professional team on the scene with 16,000 season ticket holders rather than a revolving door of a few hundred youth soccer group sales with very few regular supporters that's a mentality that people maybe should try to move away from.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest speedmonk42

Vancouver, Southsiders ect... should help people form other supporters groups.

This works well in Toronto because they are different groups of people. Having the different groups has made all sorts of things happen that might not have if all the eggs were in one basket.

speedmonk42,

The current setup really doesn't allow for room for another group.

There was/is a Japanese contingent that sits there and cheers for Taka Hirano all game, but aside from that the SS'ers is probably all you will ever see at Swangard, once we go Dt and to BC Place the other groups will probably come out the woodwork. The Soccer snobs from Commercial Drive, the ethnic groups, etc etc etc.

We have never been against the idea of other groups, we just don't want other groups to invade the SS and confuse/disjoint everything. it makes more sense to have one group of 400 singing/chanting in unison than two groups of 200 within earshot of each other, singing/chanting two seperate things.

Guest speedmonk42

I was talking about the move to MLS.

MLSE did well in allowing people mobility in the season tickets into and out of supporters sections.

The groups have a lot in common, but are all different also. This is a good thing. More people involved.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Where to begin...

K-head is fully welcome in the Southside, as far as I'm concerned. He has a sort fuse for stupidity, occasionally doesn't restrain his comments on internet forums as much as he perhaps should (I suppose posting while drunk doesn't help...), has a sharp style and a willingness to return smack-talk. Ultimately it can lead to falling out with people. Hell, him and I have had the odd go at each other over the years. But I'd like to think that we have a mutual respect, knowing that we both have the sport in our blood, and have supported (and will continue to support) during good times and bad. (Oh, and a mutual intolerance for poor spelling/grammar. ;))

You're joking, obviously.

Since this appears to be the embarrassing videos thread, here is one from some TFC fans posted with the remark:

It's sad to note Vancouver has the weakest fan base I've seen and the stadium only ever cheers for a goal.

Toronto has a lot to teach this up and coming city of soccer fans.

If this is what TO has to teach Vancouver or any other city about how to support your team then No Thanks. The best thing is they posted this video themselves because they seem to think it is cool.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Since this appears to be the embarrassing videos thread, here is one from some TFC fans posted with the remark:

It's sad to note Vancouver has the weakest fan base I've seen and the stadium only ever cheers for a goal.

If this is what TO has to teach Vancouver or any other city about how to support your team then No Thanks. The best thing is they posted this video themselves because they seem to think it is cool.

LOL :D

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I have to agree that Vancouver's support is weak as in small. Hopefully when you guys in Vancouver start playing in MLS things will pick for you. Not only does the league need it but also the national team.

As for the video, I have no idea who the hell those folks are. As far as I know their weren't any RPB's that made the trip out west, but I do know that some Vancouver based people posted on the board about going to the game. Not sure if it's the same group though. :s

But as it's been echoed before for you guys out west, definitely get control of your own section. Not having control of your own section hampers the effort to get unified chanting.

And yes I'm an RPB, but I do not speak for the group.

I'm also a Canadian soccer supporter and I will admit that until MLS came to town, I had no idea this group or that any soccer besides UofT/York existed in the city.

Regarding the Redpatchboys. How many Ultras are left from the original group that are incorporated into the RPB?? You can say that we were the "forefathers" of the RPB, when the Lynx was the only "USL" team in TO. I might head to TO for a visit, but want to know who's left that I recognize.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

I have to agree that Vancouver's support is weak as in small. Hopefully when you guys in Vancouver start playing in MLS things will pick for you. Not only does the league need it but also the national team.

As for the video, I have no idea who the hell those folks are. As far as I know their weren't any RPB's that made the trip out west, but I do know that some Vancouver based people posted on the board about going to the game. Not sure if it's the same group though. :s

But as it's been echoed before for you guys out west, definitely get control of your own section. Not having control of your own section hampers the effort to get unified chanting.

And yes I'm an RPB, but I do not speak for the group.

I'm also a Canadian soccer supporter and I will admit that until MLS came to town, I had no idea this group or that any soccer besides UofT/York existed in the city.

These types of posts show a complete ignorance of the modern history of soccer in Canada. 'Support' is not a concept which was born with the Red Patch Boys. The Whitecaps have a long and storied history of being the best supported pro soccer club in Canada and will very likely surpass Toronto in their 1st year of operation in MLS.

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

Regarding the Redpatchboys. How many Ultras are left from the original group that are incorporated into the RPB?? You can say that we were the "forefathers" of the RPB, when the Lynx was the only "USL" team in TO. I might head to TO for a visit, but want to know who's left that I recognize.

Zero.

As Marc posted, the Toronto Ultras are now known as U-Sector. I don't think I've heard of a single person from the Lynx-era Toronto Ultras who joined RPB.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

These types of posts show a complete ignorance of the modern history of soccer in Canada. 'Support' is not a concept which was born with the Red Patch Boys. The Whitecaps have a long and storied history of being the best supported pro soccer club in Canada and will very likely surpass Toronto in their 1st year of operation in MLS.

The Whitecaps you speak of aren't even the same club that uses that name today.

I respect the current Caps as an organization, especially on the developmen t side, but I think it is highly misleading when they refer to the NASL Caps' history as part of their own.

As far as them "likely" surpassing us in their first year of operation of MLS, I say bring it on. This is exactly what we need to make soccer grow in this country. Clubs trying to one-up each other in all areas is good for the game.

That said, I'll be the first to call out all of those who point to Vancouver's instant success at the gate in MLS in two years and continually refer to TFC fans as plastic.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Zero.

As Marc posted, the Toronto Ultras are now known as U-Sector. I don't think I've heard of a single person from the Lynx-era Toronto Ultras who joined RPB.

So I take it that TFC has 2 Supporter's Groups supporting them?? I remember seeing G-L and the Keay's on CBC that I recognized. I was always under the impression the U-Sector evolved into RPB, for some reason. Didn't know they were 2 separate supporter's groups.

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

So I take it that TFC has 2 Supporter's Groups supporting them?? I remember seeing G-L and the Keay's on CBC that I recognized. I was always under the impression the U-Sector evolved into RPB, for some reason. Didn't know they were 2 separate supporter's groups.

There are four that are recognized on the Toronto FC website, although there are three major groups.

The are completely separate from one another, although the groups combine forces on road trips, in-stadium displays, etc.

Archived