• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because he works for the team? It's easy to be in all the right (wrong in this case)places if you know when those events are going to happen. I saw that clip ages ago, and even though I'm no longer a southsider it was still embarrassing. Nothing wrong with the guy, but probably not someone you want to represent your supporters group. I'm not even sure if the guy is a regular southsider anymore.

I gave him the name evil Bert before he worked for the club. When the Whitecaps website posted fans pics after every game it always seemed his face appeared in nearly half of the pictures, no matter where in the stadium the photo was taken. I mentioned that he was like "evil bert" on those websites where berts face is posted into the pictures. He thought it was funny and that became his nickname.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Considering the Yanks all dress identically, like clones, you can see them wandering about the cities of Europe from a mile a away like preppy robots, they should not be the ones criticizing poor style. They are the worst, you can always tell them apart from Canadians who have individual identity, because their are so afraid to be different it is scary, they might as well wear Maoist jackets.

John TV, I presume?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The only real problem are the shorts, the way he is dressed. Nothing more.

Considering the Yanks all dress identically, like clones, you can see them wandering about the cities of Europe from a mile a away like preppy robots, they should not be the ones criticizing poor style.

The video does make you cringe though, but for those shorts, or because they did not have more guys on the set, which would have made one oddball look more exceptional.

Agree pretty much. Not the best tv appearance, but supporters

are supporters and they're needed by every football team.

(Poor Zach.;) I bet he just didn't want to be there.)

Reading that comment thread, all I'm seeing is thirty versions of "stupid Canadians, supporting their teams! They should be like us Columbus fans and sit politely, applaud gently whenever a goal is scored, and leave in the eightieth minute to beat the traffic."

Wait, sorry, that was unfair. There are no Columbus fans.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I feel sorry for Zach too! Cool guy in an embarrassing situation. Somehow I don't have the same feelings of sympathy for Morbital though!:D

I'm with you there.

Lets face it though, the more I think about it the more it makes sense why it's the three of them there. It was a promotion piece that the club set up. So there are two southsiders who happen to be employed by the club, and one southsider who never would utter a foul word. So in essence it was all going to be very PC. I could only imagine if it were some of the other southsiders that had appeared on that show.

quote:Originally posted by Streets

K-Head, is it realistic to suggest that there may be a substantial amount of supporters in vancouver that would prefer another alternative to Southsiderness?

First off lets be serious for a minute. In no way does that clip represent the Southsiders. I'm not sure if there is there is another group of supporters that would prefer an alternative. Whether or not another group comes out of nowhere when the club is about to go into MLS, such as the Red Patch Boys did when TFC was born is another question.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

First off lets be serious for a minute. In no way does that clip represent the Southsiders. I'm not sure if there is there is another group of supporters that would prefer an alternative. Whether or not another group comes out of nowhere when the club is about to go into MLS, such as the Red Patch Boys did when TFC was born is another question.

I thought the white shorts were something southsiders wore .... like all of them .. so you mean you guys do dress in black and have scarves over your faces like some of the Montreal Ultras .. like a bit of hard edge?

Or do you go in shorts and visit Whitecastle after the games ?

Maybe worth bearing in mind that in Vancouver a relatively well-supported USL-D1 side is stepping up to MLS, while in Toronto a completely new franchise was being created with the Lynx still carrying on at PDL level in much the same level of obscurity to most soccer fans in southern Ontario as before. Rightly or wrongly (I won't be following up any posts arguing this point as from my perspective this is just a statement of fact), it wasn't obvious to a lot of people what anything related to the Lynx had to do with TFC.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I thought the white shorts were something southsiders wore .... like all of them .. so you mean you guys do dress in black and have scarves over your faces like some of the Montreal Ultras .. like a bit of hard edge?

Or do you go in shorts and visit Whitecastle after the games ?

I'm not a southsider, I have been banished. Trying to troll me into an argument here in regards to the hardness of the Southsiders won't work.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Maybe worth bearing in mind that in Vancouver a relatively well-supported USL-D1 side is stepping up to MLS, while in Toronto a completely new franchise was being created with the Lynx still carrying on at PDL level in much the same level of obscurity to most soccer fans in southern Ontario as before. Rightly or wrongly (I won't be following up any posts arguing this point as from my perspective this is just a statement of fact), it wasn't obvious to a lot of people what anything related to the Lynx had to do with TFC.

I won't argue your point. The thing that will be similar in both cases is that I can see a lot of people who haven't followed the Whitecaps because they were minor league will now want to be a part of the scene and be part of a supporters group. They may or may not wish to be part of the Southsiders.

I won't argue your point. The thing that will be similar in both cases is that I can see a lot of people who haven't followed the Whitecaps because they were minor league will now want to be a part of the scene and be part of a supporters group. They may or may not wish to be part of the Southsiders.

How well known are the Southsiders known among average, Euro-first soccer fans? If you were to walk into a pub during a Champions League day would most of the people there know about the group even if they don't follow the 'Caps all that closely?

If the answer is yes, then I suspect that there will only be one group. If it's no, Vancouver will have its own Red Patch Boys within a year...

And that's a good thing. As much as U-Sector are confused by Red Patch from time to time there is little doubt that its useful having the two groups (plus an ever expanding NEE). We attract slightly different types.

Of course, I saved $25...;)

^Most of the people standing in the Southside are "Euro First." I remember a couple of confused members when Sunderland came to town. Not many of them post on here or the Southsiders forum. Tractor Boy is the only one I can think of as an example of someone who posts here regularly, who is also an Ipswich supporter. I don't think he'll be joining any other groups. I can't imagine the Liverpool oor West Ham supporters who stand in the Southside will go off and find another faction. As for those who have never been to a game and now want to join a supporters group? Honestly, the culture is different here and don't think they'll be enough people who would be interested to merit another group -depending on the damage this video has done. :D

Archived