Unstoppable Islanders: 2- 0

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

PRI v. Cruz Azul: 2 - 0

http://concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4669

Man I missed this game. Would have loved to see it. Anyone see it? How was it? Good goals, iffy goals?

I hope they win it all. Would be great for the USL. I'm thinking a Santos Laguna v. Islanders final?

Both good goals, if you can get to see some highlights check out the 2nd PR goal from a free kick

I seem to remember all away teams late in the USL playoffs unable to score (Islanders, Whitecaps, Impact, etc). I think the PR goal in the final was the only away goal any of them scored in the last two rounds.

Great team and even greater year. Had the USL an ounce of integrity they would have been in the running for an amazing double.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

You think Concacaf should have chosen TFC.. whoever represents does so because they won it all, have some respect.

I don't know how you got that from what I said Trillium. What I was trying to say was it will be a ridiculous upset if Puerto Rico manages to win the region. Not that they don't deserve, of course they deserve it if they win. Remember this is the same team thats in a league with the Cleveland City Stars.

quote:Originally posted by kodiakTFC

I don't know how you got that from what I said Trillium. What I was trying to say was it will be a ridiculous upset if Puerto Rico manages to win the region. Not that they don't deserve, of course they deserve it if they win. Remember this is the same team thats in a league with the Cleveland City Stars.

The fact that they are in a league with Cleveland is irrelevant..Most football leagues in the world that don't have a cap system have a few very strong teams and many weaker ones. For example in the Honduran league, Marathon and Olimpia pretty much win it all year after year while the rest of the teams in the league are quite weaker and would get beat by alot of USL-1 teams...It is the same with USL-1 , since there is no cap you have teams like Montreal,Vancouver and Porto-rico that are much better then the weaker teams like Minnesota and Miami for example...

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Great team and even greater year. Had the USL an ounce of integrity they would have been in the running for an amazing double.

They are in the hunt for a double. PR won the 2008 USL-1 Commissioner's Cup (regular season title), beating Vancouver to it by a single point, garnered during the end of an intense PR-Vancouver match.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Ugly deliberate foul and justified red card.

Actually the replay showed it was a bit of a dive by the Islanders keeper but what was the Azul player thinking by making a sliding tackle on the keeper.

Archived