Canada U20 v T&T tonight

jonovision

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by hodgkiss

starting to wonder about fonseca already... 0-0 for 83 minutes and made one sub (at the half) t&t scores so he takes out a defender and puts in a forward? so it seems obvious he was playing for the draw. why?

maybe because he knows something about our forwards that we dont (they suck)?

Paris, Bonifacio, Gage, Igor and Porter better get their chance next game. we gotta change something up.

mexico and costa rica are both beatable. the tourny isnt over yet.

good to see at least some efforts by the CSA to update us with that write-up at the half. not good enough tho.

How expensive can it be to get a decent live match tracker on the CSA website!!??

MESSAGE TO THE PERSON at the CSA who was updating the CSA website (I know you are reading this): Sign up for a free account with our forum and post proper updates on the flow of play on our thread for the next game. Free. Easy. We will appreciate you more. Go on, you can do it.

I started to worry about a late goal against around the 70th minute. The heat and humidity in Trinidad has been pretty tough on the players these past couple of days of training (and they did not really get acclimated to the heat while training in Florida because the weather was unseasonably cold down there during their pre tournament camp).

I sincerely believe that Fonseca needs to commit to an offensive mindset, especially early in the games. By 70 minutes, the starters are not going to have a lot left in the tank.

All is not lost but a draw in the next game is not acceptable. They need a win.

I'm not convinced about Haber up front. Fonseca seems enamoured with him (from the very first camp in fact) but I'm just not a believer. I'm not sure he have the midfielders who can provide him with the service necessary to take advantage of his strongest asset (his size). I'd rather see Igor and Randy up front. According to a few coaches I've spoken to, Igor is a pure poacher. He might not be pretty to watch but the ball finds a way into the net when he's on the pitch.

I'm hopeful for a better result in the next game. We really need some good news for the first time in a long time.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I started to worry about a late goal against around the 70th minute. The heat and humidity in Trinidad has been pretty tough on the players these past couple of days of training (and they did not really get acclimated to the heat while training in Florida because the weather was unseasonably cold down there during their pre tournament camp).

I sincerely believe that Fonseca needs to commit to an offensive mindset, especially early in the games. By 70 minutes, the starters are not going to have a lot left in the tank.

All is not lost but a draw in the next game is not acceptable. They need a win.

I'm not convinced about Haber up front. Fonseca seems enamoured with him (from the very first camp in fact) but I'm just not a believer. I'm not sure he have the midfielders who can provide him with the service necessary to take advantage of his strongest asset (his size). I'd rather see Igor and Randy up front. According to a few coaches I've spoken to, Igor is a pure poacher. He might not be pretty to watch but the ball finds a way into the net when he's on the pitch.

I'm hopeful for a better result in the next game. We really need some good news for the first time in a long time.

I'm not convinced in Haber period. I think he's poor up front and a little better, but still poor at the back.

My concern with this side all along is that are missing the difference makers of sides from year's past. They have way more depth but that doesnt matter if you don't have the one or 2 players that can turn the game. The lead up to this match with all the 1-0 defeats and 0-0 draws has shown that to be the case. I suspect more of the same in the next couple of matches. Unfortunately, a wins are needed which don't seem to be forthcoming. That being said, I wish the boys luck.

My concern with this side all along is that are missing the difference makers of sides from year's past. They have way more depth but that doesnt matter if you don't have the one or 2 players that can turn the game. The lead up to this match with all the 1-0 defeats and 0-0 draws has shown that to be the case. I suspect more of the same in the next couple of matches. Unfortunately, a wins are needed which don't seem to be forthcoming. That being said, I wish the boys luck.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

How'd we lose? Was it a good goal? I was really hoping we could at least play this game to a draw. I thought we had a decent squad? Or do we, and that's why we didn't lose 4-0?

From the report on the CSA site, it sounds like the goal was a well taken free kick. Otherwise, not much separated the two teams.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

My concern with this side all along is that are missing the difference makers of sides from year's past.

That being said, I wish the boys luck.

Could have used Hoillet, but he was busy scoring a brace for St. Pauli.

Same here, good luck the rest of the way.

quote:Originally posted by hodgkiss

im surprised that paris and brandon don't get the start...

Yes, some of Fonseca's selections are strange. He started 4 players from the Whitecaps amateur Prospects but didn't start 3 professionals (Bonafacio, Nakajima Farran and Igor). He also didn't select Vukovic who is tied for Nakajima Farran for the most professional experience.

Vukovic's dad, who is a coach in Bosnia and who holds a UEFA Professional Coaches Certificate (the same ticket that Avram Grant had to get last year when he took over from Mourinho at Chelsea) told me that Nakajima Farran is one of Canada's best, his first touch is better and he makes better passes and he's better at reading the game and knowing where to move.

Fonseca has destroyed any chance of Canada making it to Egypt, and because of it, our next group of U20 players won't get any Sports Canada fundng next year.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Yes, some of Fonseca's selections are strange. He started 4 players from the Whitecaps amateur Prospects but didn't start 3 professionals (Bonafacio, Nakajima Farran and Igor). He also didn't select Vukovic who is tied for Nakajima Farran for the most professional experience.

Vukovic's dad, who is a coach in Bosnia and who holds a UEFA Professional Coaches Certificate (the same ticket that Avram Grant had to get last year when he took over from Mourinho at Chelsea) told me that Nakajima Farran is one of Canada's best, his first touch is better and he makes better passes and he's better at reading the game and knowing where to move.

Fonseca has destroyed any chance of Canada making it to Egypt, and because of it, our next group of U20 players won't get any Sports Canada fundng next year.

None of the 3 players mentionned is playing that much at the pro level. Bonifacio didn't made a single appearance with his club before he got loaned out to a Dutch second division team.

Paris is in the same situation with a second division Danish side.

I'm not sure about Igor but I don't think he is with the first team in Hungary (enlight me on this, I don't know his situation).

It's pretty tough to evaluate all those players because we haven't had the chance to see much of them. One thing is clear, the 3 guys you mentionned don't have an impressive club situation IMO, nothing that should guarantee you a place on the starting 11.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I'm not convinced about Haber up front. Fonseca seems enamoured with him (from the very first camp in fact) but I'm just not a believer. I'm not sure he have the midfielders who can provide him with the service necessary to take advantage of his strongest asset (his size).

I'm not convinced about Haber either. But I know that Teitur Thordason is in Fonseca's camp and really likes the kid. Mitchell and Dasovic thought he had potential as well given the amount of playing time he received. Can all of the higher level coaches we have in this country be wrong?

Archived