Two Canadian teams in the Champions League?..

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

thats interesting, so even if Toronto (as ridiculous as we all know it sounds) wins the MLS championship they would not get in unless through Voyageurs cup.. seems a wee bit harsh.. Good to know though, cheers!

Seems about right to me. Champions League spots are allotted to national federations, not to leagues per se. In the U.S., CCL spots are awarded to the MLS Cup winner, MLS Cup runner-up, MLS Supporters' Shield winner, and the US Open Cup winner. Even though it may appear on the surface that at least three of those spots are the domain of MLS, they actually belong to the USSF. Just as no American club can qualify for the CCL through the Canadian Championship, no Canadian club can qualify for the CCL through any of the United States' qualifying channels.

because of all this, Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto have to take their appearances very seriously. Montreal has done well this year but if were ever to earn a second birth, were gonna have to at least make it out of the group stage every year.

If each years Voyageurs Cup winners do well in the Champions league, I still don't think they will give us 2 spots. How unfare is it that 3 pro teams compete for 2 spots and in the US with similar skilled level teams, they get 4 spots but with about 30 pro teams. The only way Canada can get 2 spots is if we get some more teams in MLS and USL 1 and have a decent Canadian Soccer League that can participate in the qualifying tournament (or Voyageurs Cup). With the 3 teams we have now, it would be ridiculous to get 2 spots.

they should just add a slot to the voyaguers cup, amateur teams have a tourney, winner moves on to a CSL, PDL, maybe a couple others tourney, that winner gets the fourth birth in the cup. Then for all intents and purposes we could say 2 slots, god knows how many teams.

We don't need to get a second birth right now. We need to have our representative to skip the preliminary round and to go straight to the group stage. As for next year, whoever qualfies for the CCL needs to go tot he group stage and probably go to the quarters for us to get a place in the group stage.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

they should just add a slot to the voyaguers cup, amateur teams have a tourney, winner moves on to a CSL, PDL, maybe a couple others tourney, that winner gets the fourth birth in the cup. Then for all intents and purposes we could say 2 slots, god knows how many teams.

This is a great idea, talk about developing Canadian soccer! Throw in one or two slots to the Voyageur cup. No one will make it through by fluke with three high quality teams in the way. It offers a legitimate and realistic way to up the quality of some of our lower league clubs...

quote:Originally posted by Ed

The CSA would never allow the CSL into the Cup with that league's tribal bull****. Why do you think the Australian FA was overhauled?

Not only that, but how does any team outside of the "Big Three" demonstrate the level of professionalism needed to host Voyageurs Cup games?

I can see it now. The four participating stadia in the 2011 tournamet will be BMO Field, Stade Saputo, a newly-renovated soccer-friendly BC Place, and what? A public park?

Unfortunately, I can't see the tournament expanding past the current three teams for a very long time, and expansion would only be feasible if more proper pro teams (Ottawa in MLS, for instance) came into existence.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

The CSA would never allow the CSL into the Cup with that league's tribal bull****. Why do you think the Australian FA was overhauled?

Answers on a postcard to the "Why do you wear orange jerseys?" department of the Queensland Roar. :) The main reason to exclude the CSL is that they are only a provincial level league and if they get in why not PCSL teams and teams from the semi-pro league that is being launched in Quebec? It would set a precedent that could soon make the competition unmanageable and much less attractive to broadcasters and sponsors. As things stand the three team round robin format provides a national full-time pro level league in miniature.

It is a very interesting discussion. Expand it to the Caribbean ... 17 teams last year and this year 12? No entry from Jamaica or Cuba. Is this just based on the travel cost? Surely the promise of a top Mexican or MLS club coming to a small island must have the same "FA Cup" appeal. The same can be argued for Canada. The idea of a team paying their entry fee to get a shot at playing on a bigger stage appeals to me. I love the idea of the Impact playing in St. John's or TFC playing in Thunder Bay or the Whitecaps playing in Cold Lake, Alberta. The CSA needs to look seriously at our system of play. Has the CSA approached the Ottawa MLS group (with Montreal and Vancouver) and said "hey if you don't get the MLS, get on board with the USL because of these benefits."? The CSA needs to encourage owners in Ottawa, London, Halifax, Calgary, Edmonton and Victoria to consider getting into the USL and thus the Canadian Championship. I know it adds fixtures to the packed schedule but with a few indoor facilities across the country it can work. England's Fa Cup has 14 dates to go from 761 clubs to 1. Canada can figure out a way to handle 3 more clubs in the Canadian Championship.

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

thats interesting, so even if Toronto (as ridiculous as we all know it sounds) wins the MLS championship they would not get in unless through Voyageurs cup.. seems a wee bit harsh.. Good to know though, cheers!

No different then Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham etc. not being able to get an English CL or UEFA spot if they were to win one of the domestic cups or finish top four in the prem.

World Cup, USA '94 was awarded on the premise that a domestic league would be started. Not having enough strong markets at the the time (or bids, take your pick) they allowed a Canadian team into the AMERICAN league. Until we have our own coast to coast Canadian league, you can expect the Canadian champion to be decide in some tournament style format.

It's not harsh, it's quite fair actually.

What would happen if MLS were declared a North American league(USA, Canada) and Toronto didn't finish top 4, then Canada would receive no representation in the CL. The current tournament is the best option, that doesn't involve a Canadian league.

Only way Canada would get more spots in the Champions League, is if they expanded from the current 24. If they expanded to 32, I could see it feasible that the first place team was seeded to round play, while the second place team went to elimination. It's not like USA or Mexico would get any more spots if they expanded it.

Not sure that Wales is a great example. Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, and Newport County can't qualify for a European spot through the Welsh system; I thought Cardiff were told by UEFA that they would get a UEFA Cup spot if they won the FA Cup, even if the English didn't let them.

• 3 weeks later...

Peter Montopoli was just on the Soccer Show on the Fan 590 in Toronto and said that the Canadian entry was granted from CONCACAF on a two year trial basis that would be reviewed afterwards. He said that discussions are on-going with CONCACAF in trying to get a 2nd berth for Canada. He added that last night's game blew away the CONCACAF honchos. Considering CONCACAF gets 5% of gate receipts and with Jack Warner we all know money talks, I'm certain we'll see a 2nd berth for 2010

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Peter Montopoli was just on the Soccer Show on the Fan 590 in Toronto and said that the Canadian entry was granted from CONCACAF on a two year trial basis that would be reviewed afterwards. He said that discussions are on-going with CONCACAF in trying to get a 2nd berth for Canada. He added that last night's game blew away the CONCACAF honchos. Considering CONCACAF gets 5% of gate receipts and with Jack Warner we all know money talks, I'm certain we'll see a 2nd berth for 2010

That's fantastic news.

Archived