Dale Mitchell interview on Full Time

SthMelbRed

This will likely be of interest to the majority of us here.

On Full-Time, Vancouver's Soccer Show this Sunday night, January 18th, Tyler Green and Mike Martignago will be joined by Canadian Mens National Team Coach Dale Mitchell to talk about what happened in 2008 and what Canadian soccer fans can look forward to in 2009. Plus, although Andrei Arshavin is one of the names on numerous teams’ transfer lists, Tyler Green will let you know why he thinks a move to bring Arshavin on board would be the biggest mistake a top level team could make. Full-Time will also feature the popular segment "News and Notes", and we'll find out "What's on Setanta". It all gets underway at 10pm on the TEAM 1040 on Sunday, January 18th, following the Canucks vs. Blue Jackets game.

Also, coming up on Sunday, January 25th: He plays for AC Milan, has played in over 100 European matches and over 100 UEFA Champions League matches, and has won 4 UEFA Champions League titles. His next honour: joining Tyler and Mike on Full-Time. His name: Clarence Seedorf. Tune in January 25th at 10pm to find out what's on Clarence Seedorf's mind.

Past shows are also available as podcasts from the TEAM 1040 website.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:"...and what Canadian soccer fans can look forward to in 2009"

*crosses fingers*

Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation. Please say his resignation.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I don't expect to hear anything new or particularly erudite from Dale Mitchell, especially in a pre-recorded interview situation. Probably not even worth listening to.

Richard.. you dont seem to think our national coach is erudite ? ... SHOCKING.

I just heard from one of hosts (he's one of my best mates) that the interview has been recorded. Dale Mitchell answers questions on why he hasn't quit and about his future in the job. He also talks about his relationship with some national team players and about some young players who may be brought in in the very near future. I haven't heard the interview yet, so I don't know the full extent of his answers, but I'm certain that the questions we wanted were asked. I've been told the podcast will be up late on Sunday night, Vancouver time.

I just heard from one of hosts (he's one of my best mates) that the interview has been recorded. Dale Mitchell answers questions on why he hasn't quit and about his future in the job. He also talks about his relationship with some national team players and about some young players who may be brought in in the very near future. I haven't heard the interview yet, so I don't know the full extent of his answers, but I'm certain that the questions we wanted were asked. I've been told the podcast will be up late on Sunday night, Vancouver time.

Mitchell basically said the same thing he said after his 2007 U20 World Cup team bombed - that the team just wasn't good enough.

When asked what the main reasons were why Canada didn't advance his answer was "Honduras and Mexico".

The same excuses for the same result. Sorry, but Mitchell is a loser.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Mitchell basically said the same thing he said after his 2007 U20 World Cup team bombed - that the team just wasn't good enough.

When asked what the main reasons were why Canada didn't advance his answer was "Honduras and Mexico".

The same excuses for the same result. Sorry, but Mitchell is a loser.

No apologies nessisary. Only with our inpet monkeys running the game in this country could some one be allowed to get away with such drivel as a "reason" for failure. I would have atleast had a shred of respect for a well thought out technical answer.

Where is the accountability Mr. Montopoli? Or should we write you off already as well?

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

No apologies nessisary. Only with our inpet monkeys running the game in this country could some one be allowed to get away with such drivel as a "reason" for failure. I would have atleast had a shred of respect for a well thought out technical answer.

Where is the accountability Mr. Montopoli? Or should we write you off already as well?

Was he asked anything about his tactics, especially in the absolutely crucial second half in Montreal?

I don't really have a problem with him saying Honduras and Mexico were better teams than us. IMO, it's a fact and an objective observer would probably reach that conclusion. What I have a problem with is the 2 pts in 6 games, the fact we were out after 4 games and that we lost 2 1-0 leads at home.

I don't know how the questions were asked but that's the kind of questions I would've like see him answer.

What did he say about the GC and the younger names we could see? Did he say something about his relationships with our players? Thanks

Mexico is definitely a better team than us yet still beatable with a good game plan. Plus like every team they are going to play up to their potential sometimes and at other times not and we are and need to be capable of beating them when they are having an off-night. The way they played in Mexico I don't think we were capable of beating them no matter how well we played. We absolutely should have beat them in Edmonton given how they played.

Honduras is not better than us nor is Jamaica. They have a similar level of talent to us. What they were was better prepared, better coached and their players had better attitudes and more discipline. In CONCACAF there are only two teams who if they play to their potential we can not beat them, the US and Mexico. Yet both are inconsistent and often fully beatable. Then there is a group of teams with similar talent to ours, Honduras, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Jamaica, T and T and probably in the near future Panama. These are teams we should beat at least as often as we lose to them. However, we can not do this if we are not meeting them on an even playing field by also having good preparation, coaching and a proper team attitude.

I haven't heard the interview but if this is Mitchell's response it is completely unacceptable. It was unacceptable when he said it after the U-20 even though it was probably true then that the teams we played were more talented than we were. However, it is even worse in this situation because two of the three teams were our level and the team that was above our level had one game against us in which they performed poorly. Part of being a coach and leader is accepting responsibility and if Mitchell did this he would probably get more respect from his players. If he accepted responsibility he also would have resigned a long time ago. The sad thing is he has a legacy of being one of the best players to ever play for Canada and he is greatly tarnishing that legacy by refusing to resign.

Honduras have been inconsistent in their WCQ results in the past but I wouldn't call this 2008 group inconsistent. Unlike us, they have been really consistent in friendlies prior to WCQ, beating Paraguay, Colombia, Haiti, Belize and tying Venezuela. IMO, this team was better than us. I'm not saying they were too good for us, that's why I'm referring to the 1-0 lead and the fact that we only got 2 pts in 6 games but I feel like Honduras had a better squad than us in general.

Anyways, this doesn't excuse Mitchell not taking responsability for the whole debacle. This is just a shame to watch this whole thing with the players (except a few) and coaching staff refusing to take the blame. A lot of those guys (players and coaches) have no honor.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Honduras have been inconsistent in their WCQ results in the past but I wouldn't call this 2008 group inconsistent. Unlike us, they have been really consistent in friendlies prior to WCQ, beating Paraguay, Colombia, Haiti, Belize and tying Venezuela. IMO, this team was better than us. I'm not saying they were too good for us, that's why I'm referring to the 1-0 lead and the fact that we only got 2 pts in 6 games but I feel like Honduras had a better squad than us in general.

Anyways, this doesn't excuse Mitchell not taking responsability for the whole debacle. This is just a shame to watch this whole thing with the players (except a few) and coaching staff refusing to take the blame. A lot of those guys (players and coaches) have no honor.

I called Mexico and the US inconsistent not Honduras. I would strongly dispute that Honduras has better players than us. I don't dispute that with the exception of the first half in Montreal they played better than us for reasons not of talent but which had to do with them having a better coach and their players having a better attitude. This was a hard group and I could buy Mitchell's argument if we played well and played hard and were in the fight until the end. In a group like we had we could finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th but should have been in the hunt until the final game at least.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Mexico is definitely a better team than us yet still beatable with a good game plan. Plus like every team they are going to play up to their potential sometimes and at other times not and we are and need to be capable of beating them when they are having an off-night. The way they played in Mexico I don't think we were capable of beating them no matter how well we played. We absolutely should have beat them in Mexico given how they played.

I'm thinking you meant beat them in Edmonton. Yes, the match in Chiapas was going to be a tough one because the Mexicans were "on," but some top notch saves kept the game at only 1-0 at the half.

To me, the campaign hinged on that second half in Montreal. Down 2-1, we absolutely needed that point but I felt DM got the tactics wrong.

Archived