Dale Mitchell interview on Full Time

SthMelbRed

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^While I readily admit that I have some bias, being friends with the hosts of the show, but I really do find that their interviewing skills are exceptional. They managed to ask the tough questions and at the same time keeping Dale Mitchell onside and the conversation very warm. If you listen to some of the other interviews on the show, you'll find that they consistently do so. I also think they have and will continue to get some of the best guests you'll find on any football related program in Canada. I hope you all continue to listen, as football definitely needs a stronger media presence in Canada.

Agreed. It was my first time tuning in, I will try and make it a regular listen. Like most media shows in Canada, it is a bit EPL-centric, but I found that they knew what they were talking about, had done some research and weren't afraid of asking the tough question. This is more than can be said about most soccer media in this country.

Wow, just wow. Everything that Mitchell said was just spot on. I mean the insight to tell us that Honduras and Mexico were the two main reasons we didn't qualify. This man is a genius, it's too bad we didn't think of this before qualifying. Well actually Mitchell must have known that we wouldn't know that. I mean the most dedicated group of soccer supporters in this country have obviously never seen Wigan or Inter Milan play. We had no idea that Honduras had good players. Mitchell's right though if we had known that Honduras wasn't crap before the qualifying started we probably just would have given up before it had started. I mean that probably is the smartest thing we could have done since our players had no chance of ever beating this unknown, might Honduras. Mitchell is also completely right in sticking with the same squad during the Gold Cup instead of developing for the future. I mean we'll always have the problem of Honduras and Mexico so why even try and change things for 2014. I mean this Honduras and this Mexico may be at the Gold Cup, but they'll be busy worrying about the hex so we'll win the Gold Cup and then we can just give up on World Cup Qualifying. I mean if anyone in Canada ever watched a soccer game in their life with a player from Honduras or Mexico they would obviously realize that Canada is much, much worse. I guess it's a good thing that Mitchell has said that Canadian soccer supporters were dumb for having any hope, I mean he must be right...

The end of the interview sums up the problem with our mentality:

"We can't plan for 2014. We have to take it one year at a time."

Wrong. Just plain wrong. I wasn't expecting much and yet I was still disappointed. So we will just lurch year to year and in 2012/3 we'll start to plan for 2014. :(

Brief Recap for history's sake.

Re. Player mutiny: bottom line is i'm here to win, and every situation is different, positives and negatives to any environment, tough enviro, you gotta be able to take your lumps. Supporters and media voicing their opinions affects the players.

Re. Honduras: not alot of people in canada knew about the quality of wilson palacios or david suazo. its a quality side, and we were close!

When did things go sour: depth is always a problem, need 3 or 4 guys on top of their game, deguz, dero, hutch... if those 3 guys are not on top of their game its always going to be tough for us to win. I think that everybody knew we were done after the second game, that's when things unraveled.

Can't say we deserve to be in the World Cup, top 5 or 6 in region.

Is this an enjoyable job? Tough part is time between games, not doing well makes it even tougher.

Friendlies? I want to play as much as we can, but there's budget issues that wont allow us to play on every date. the large amount of time we get together will be at the gold cup.

What needs to change? This campaign there was a lot of excitement, but if you look at this decade, we've won 2 matches out of 18 and both of those after elimination. we're not winning matches, that needs to change. we'll continue to work at it, try to improve...

[READ---> MITCHELL HAS NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!]

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

When did things go sour: depth is always a problem, need 3 or 4 guys on top of their game, deguz, dero, hutch... if those 3 guys are not on top of their game its always going to be tough for us to win. I think that everybody knew we were done after the second game, that's when things unraveled.

Thanks for the recap of the interview, BrennanFan.

So I infer from his statements that he knew that game was do or die, yet what did he do tactically in the second half after we fell behind and his mids were failing to generate anything? Make a like for like substitution and persist with a single (unsupported) target man striker, as he did in the South Africa friendly, but then near the death sub an earlier sub (Brennan for Hume) and leave his best aerial attacking option on the bench (McKenna) for the last five minutes. We're down a man (Bernier) and we desperately need a point to stay alive. At the time (and even now), I think DM choked with his coaching decisions.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Thanks for the recap of the interview, BrennanFan.

So I infer from his statements that he knew that game was do or die, yet what did he do tactically in the second half after we fell behind and his mids were failing to generate anything? Make a like for like substitution and persist with a single (unsupported) target man striker, as he did in the South Africa friendly, but then near the death sub an earlier sub (Brennan for Hume) and leave his best aerial attacking option on the bench (McKenna) for the last five minutes. We're down a man (Bernier) and we desperately need a point to stay alive. At the time (and even now), I think DM choked with his coaching decisions.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Now Mitchell has a new reason to thing that Honduras was stronger : doping !

Defender Sergio Mendoza was controlled positive after the october game against Canada and has been suspended by Fifa.

http://www.munhispano.com/?nid=247&sid=5377620

And what does Canada get out of it? Hondurans cheated against us in a World Cup Qualifying game, FIFA suspending their players for future games is all very well, but irrelevant to the victimized team that is already out of the competition.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

The point I made is that I think DeGuz is clearly better than Guevara and even though, so far as I can tell, you agree, you want to argue about it!

You said "get your facts straight" and then went on to list supposed "corrections" that were a mixture of your opinions and facts that I had never contradicted. That most certainly DOES amount to trying to put words into my mouth. By all means add you own facts but please don't put them forward as supposed "corrections" to things I never said.

Your point about Guevara being league MVP is a good one. That is certainly a big accomplishment. Being MVP in the championship game twice is also a big accomplishment, along with winning the championship FOUR times. To the best of my knowledge, Guevara has never been on an MLS winning team. De Ro has 86 goals and 295 appearances in MLS, to Guevara's 36 goals and 128 appearances (according to Wikipedia). I am still of the OPINION that DeRo is clearly the better player and I feel that the FACTS clearly support that opinion. You and others may disagree and I am happy to listen to your arguments. And I won't feel the need to try to bolster my case by putting words into your mouth in any rebuttal I may offer.

Stop playing the victim please. You came into the discussion with some arrogant manner and I corrected you on two things, no debate and no MLS MVP for DeRo. The rest was opinions to counter your point about DeRo being so obviously (that's the effect of the "nuff said") better than Guevara. I had no intention in putting words in your mouth, just putting some perspective on your point. But if you want to continue to play the victim, please carry on.

I've seen enough of DeRo with the MNT to tell you that he most of the time dissapointed me with his performances. He's very inconsistent and for every good game you have 3-4 games where you don't notice he's on the field. I've been a member of this forum long enough to tell you that most Canadians fans would agree with that assessment.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

And what does Canada get out of it? Hondurans cheated against us in a World Cup Qualifying game, FIFA suspending their players for future games is all very well, but irrelevant to the victimized team that is already out of the competition.

We should get the 3 pts from that game and watch Jamaica attending the Hex instead of Honduras [xx(]

So after we finally have our answer on the Dale Mitchell resignation question, we also have the answer to our biggest question.

Has the CSA or Canadian football changed since the last qualifying cycle? The answer: an emphatic NO.

Everything the CSA promised would change when we where without a Coach, Technical Director, President, proper planning, funding, and governing structure, has not. Nor does it look that way for the future.

After the antics of the last 3 years or so I now firmly believe that the future of the game in Canada will not advance unless the club culture of MLS and Usl 1, and the Cdn. Championship gets to a certain point of power and popularity where the Old Boys network of the CSA is put under pressure to change by the brass of the clubs. The change will gobottom up. Not Top down.

In some way, I find hope in this possibility. The game is ever growing in Canada. More so than ever befor. Sooner or later, it will grow to a point where enough people have their eyes fixed on the stagnation of the CSA, and they will have no choice but to change. So the theory goes anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

So after we finally have our answer on the Dale Mitchell resignation question, we also have the answer to our biggest question.

Has the CSA or Canadian football changed since the last qualifying cycle? The answer: an emphatic NO.

I have to disagree with your "emphatic NO" here. I think the accomodations and travel were vastly improved compared to the previous cycle. Also, the preparation games were (marginally) better as well as liasioning with the supporters to try to get a home field advantage.

So, while they still make numerous mistakes, most notably kacking up the tickets in Montreal and giving a lame duck coach too long of a contract with no escape clause, I do believe that they are actually getting better. Is it a total 180 since the last cycle? Of course not, but who expected that? Baby steps, baby steps.

UNBELIVABLE !

Canada is on the last place in qualification round for the world cup, and we discuss why taking Andrei Arshavin would be a big mistake. This is really CANADZIENNNNE style. Maybe we should take a better coach who might be not a CANADZIENNNNE but understands the game a bit better and tyalk about it a bit more ?

Let's face some facts here guys (I'm assuming there's no girls here), we're a weak team and we'd still be one internationally speaking even with a good coach. That being said, did anyone here watch Euro 2004? Greece were the worst rated team by a mile!!! They lacked skill and depth in almost every department (they had a good keeper), and who won that little tourney? With a good coach our qualification campaign could have been entirely different and there's no one too blame except the coach. We all know the players that we have. Even with our lack of depth and options we could have done better than this. There isn't any easier continental group in the world to qualify from, and we blew it again.

We're sure as hell not to blame, Mitchell is. However, I do think that this group/website is in the best position to do something about it so that it won't happen again, and from what I see we're not. Why aren't we banging down the doors of the CSA for this guy's resignation? Why aren't we doing what it takes to let joe public knwo that the CSA is disgracing us on the world stage by allowing this guy to keep the reigns? Week after week I'm reading the same statements from everyone here but why aren't we actually doing something other than agreeing that something needs to be done?

^ Because the CSA is broke and we all know that.

Also, I don't know why anybody is at all surprised that Dale Mitchell continues to refuse to accept any responsibility whatsoever for the abject failure of the two national teams he led most recently. We see here a classic example of the Peter Principle at work.

It's not futile, I just became the 24th person to sign it!!! Hahahaha. Well, cheers for doing something tmcmurph. That's what I'm talking about. I think this site is great but I see a lot more talking than acting. I'm not suggesting anything drastic, but hey man, this is North American, we have the power to change whatever we want! Yes we Can!

I know that the CSA is broke. Hiring a great coach or even a miracle worker (my God could you imagine Guus Hiddink here) is simply out of our league. A good 8 million pounds out of our league actually. That doesn't mean that the CSA can't buck up and fire Mitchell's ass and try it with someone else. There are other options. I read a lot bere about how it would be expensive to let him go before his contract is up, but in my opinion, that's too f###ing bad. What the CSA were thinking signing a guy with DM's experience without a clause to fire him for underachieving is beyond me, but they should deal with their own mistake.

^ I agree completely. What's the worst that happens: we send Mitchell home and continue to pay the rest of his contract? Hire somebody else already on payroll to do the work on at the very least, a temporary basis. That sounds like a great idea to me in comparison to letting him coach the team and waste everybody's time.

We cannot sink any lower than we already are. Every single dollar being spent to run the MNT from this point forward with him in charge is wasted. Our best players won't show and he's already proven to be an ineffective coach who can't accept responsibility.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

^ I agree completely. What's the worst that happens: we send Mitchell home and continue to pay the rest of his contract? Hire somebody else already on payroll to do the work on at the very least, a temporary basis. That sounds like a great idea to me in comparison to letting him coach the team and waste everybody's time.

It will likely cost you money to do that. If you take the U-17 coach to act as a caretaker for the MNT (like Stephen Hart did in 2006-2007) you'll need to pay him for his added work.

I would think it's the best solution but it won't be free.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/canadian-soccer-association.html

For what it is worth (probably not much). At least I do feel better when I do something, no matter how futile. Up to each person if they want to sign or not.

Based on the qualifying results, I don't feel the players should have SFA to say about the new manager. I can't sign on that basis.

Archived