Joe Public @ Montreal (R)

There was a huge rain before the game (or to be accurate, at the time when people leave home to go to the stadium). The cloud was so dark that it looked like the night was already fallen.

The rain continued after, but there were scattered showers. Too bad too much people didn't change their mind a second time.

The covered stand was almost full.

So : if there was a roof on all stands... almost everyone would have shown up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good result to start. Could have been more, but the 3 pts are all that matters for now.

The kop was alive tonight. My first time there and I had a blast.

Since JP players wore gloves at 17 degrees celsius, what will the Olimpia players do when in late October it will be around 5 degrees celsius?

One of the song of the night: Where is TFC... Watching on CBC ;)

quote:Originally posted by QuebecToon

One of the song of the night: Where is TFC... Watching on CBC ;)

ouch..that stings...well done though....the truth bloody well hurts

congrats Impact fans. definitely a good win. Your GK played quite well when he was needed.

Keep up the good work on and off the pitch Montreal. I thought the UM02 looked and sounded great tonight (shame about everyone else) and watching l'Impact play keep away for about two minutes until 90 was quite enjoyable. It was a nice, professional display.

Every time I see him Gatti leaves me quietly impressed. And I think if anyone from Montreal deserves a national team recall in time for Honduras it's Grande who has looked sharp since returning.

An enjoyable night watching a Canadian soccer team. Who'da thunk it?

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Keep up the good work on and off the pitch Montreal. I thought the UM02 looked and sounded great tonight (shame about everyone else) and watching l'Impact play keep away for about two minutes until 90 was quite enjoyable. It was a nice, professional display.

Every time I see him Gatti leaves me quietly impressed. And I think if anyone from Montreal deserves a national team recall in time for Honduras it's Grande who has looked sharp since returning.

An enjoyable night watching a Canadian soccer team. Who'da thunk it?

cheers,

matthew

Agreed it was fun to watch a good quality Canadian side play against international competition. And props again to the UM02, I was watching on a computer stream about 2 inches wide and the Ultras looked fantastic.

The Kop was 3 times bigger than usual and the rest of the "fans" were less than 1/3 of usual. In 15 years this is what they have achieved for fan support???? 3000 fans for the biggest game in club history???? Joe Public was would probably beat new England again but Esteli would kick their ass! I don't have any illusions, Atlante will be strong but we did not play any USL team that was even as close to as bad as Joe Public. MLS really needs to invest in its teams because at the moment they are really the USA/Canada 2nd division.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The Kop was 3 times bigger than usual and the rest of the "fans" were less than 1/3 of usual. In 15 years this is what they have achieved for fan support???? 3000 fans for the biggest game in club history???? Joe Public was would probably beat new England again but Esteli would kick their ass! I don't have any illusions, Atlante will be strong but we did not play any USL team that was even as close to as bad as Joe Public. MLS really needs to invest in its teams because at the moment they are really the USA/Canada 2nd division.

I agree I don't think Joe Public was that good, but worse than Esteli? I don't know about that.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

7631 the official attendance. Couldn't have been 5k in the stands.

Yeah, looked pretty bad in the one grandstand. CBC did mic' the supporters section. Sounded like the lads were having a gas back there.

Pitch is going to be a mess again on Wednesday.

Impact looked solid. Very solid all things considered. But these keepers they've faced in Champions League play so far make me wonder. They've been a pretty flaky bunch.

Not sure if the cool rain put Joe Public off or what but there is no way that side last night took two matches from NE. If they did then someone has to be in reman for theft.

Great start, but Atlante is going to be rough, tough and odviously way more skilled. That's going to be a fun one to watch.

Guest Jeffery S.

Must say I am very proud of the Impact, great show. Gotta have something to live for being a Canadian fan.

As a Vancouver supporter I have to admit I would rather be fighting for a knockout round in the Champions League than for a USL Div 1 championship, those britches feel tight, like we've grown out of them.

If only we had more USL teams in Canada, we'd deserve another Concacaf Champions spot and be able to have even more fun. How does Panama rate (and their teams doing well) and we below them, so frustrating.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, in an interview with Radio Canada, Joe Public coach Michael McComie said: "the next we meet the Impact we are going to crush them 4-0."

Maybe McComie is the "Special One" of T&T?

From La Presse

"I can't tell you the reasons, but we will score three or four goals. Jordan was brilliant tonight, but he won't for all games"

Maybe that's because there is none.

I was supposed to be in there with you guys but have been KO'd for three days sick as a dog. I'll be there Wednesday.

I don't know how to interest people. I notice a LOT of people in Fenerbahce or Milan or Celtic gear kind of sitting around and leaving at 80 minutes. Why are they not into it? Why do they kind of glance around embarrassedly when we join the chants? Who knows. Why do hundreds of ignorant but interested soccer moms and dads come out with their kids to Impact league matches but stay home for Canada and Champions League? Who knows. It's a little mystifying.

Joe Public was would probably beat new England again but Esteli would kick their ass! I don't have any illusions, Atlante will be strong but we did not play any USL team that was even as close to as bad as Joe Public. MLS really needs to invest in its teams because at the moment they are really the USA/Canada 2nd division.

Do you REALLY believe that the NE Rev's result against JP ( on its own) is reflective/indicative in any way of the of the relative quality and strenght of MLS and USL or USL and carribean and central america? Then what are we to conclude of these results ( posted below)that New England had just weeks before their matches versus JP. Recall that Pachuca are defending CL champs. Sound to me that Gianluca's suggestion earlier is the most credible (ie.; they had other fish to frey, overcrowded fixtures, They didn't take their game against JP seriusly, didn't put their best step forward, didn't try..etc)

Tue 7/1/08 7:00 PM vs Richmond Kickers (USOC) 3-0 W

Fri 7/4/08 10:30 PM @ Los Angeles Galaxy TV38 2-1 W

Tue 7/8/08 7:00 PM vs CP Baltimore (USOC) 1-1 T

Sun 7/13/08 8:00 PM vs Santos Laguna (SL) Telefutura 1-0 W

Wed 7/16/08 8:00 PM vs CF Pachuca (SL) Telefutura 1-0 W

Sun 7/20/08 8:00 PM @ Chivas USA (SL) Telefutura 1-1 T

Wed 7/30/08 8:00 PM vs Atlante (SL) 1-0 W

Tue 8/5/08 8:00 PM vs Houston Dynamo (SL) 2-2 T

Sat 8/9/08 7:30 PM vs Chicago Fire TV38/HDNet 2-1 L

Tue 8/12/08 7:30 PM @ D.C. United (USOC)

Sat 8/16/08 10:00 PM @ San Jose Earthquakes TV38/HDNet 4-0 L

Wed 8/20/08 7:30 PM vs D.C. United TV38 2-1 W

Sat 8/23/08 7:30 PM @ Toronto FC FSC 1-1 T

Tue 8/26/08 8:00 PM @ Joe Public FC (CCL) FSC 2-1 L

Sat 8/30/08 7:30 PM vs Los Angeles Galaxy TV38/HDNet 2-2 T

Tue 9/2/08 8:00 PM vs Joe Public FC (CCL) FSC 4-0 L

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Sound to me that Gianluca's suggestion earlier is the most credible (ie.; they had other fish to frey, overcrowded fixtures, They didn't take their game against JP seriusly, didn't put their best step forward, didn't try..etc)

Actually all I said was that they had a lot of injured players and didn't play well.....but with the fixture list you just provided indicates why the latter might be the case. Simply put, Houston & New England are playing way too many games over this period and I'm wondering if we are seeing a burnt-out De Rosario in World Cup Qualifiers as a result.

Archived