Joe Public @ Montreal (R)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Actually all I said was that they had a lot of injured players and didn't play well.....

I know. But the bigger point was that they weren't able to put their best representation on the pitch against JP for one reason or another. I added other plausible reasons.

Also, with the SL title, NE might have figured that with current resouces available and salary limitations imposed by MLS, putting a serious challenge in CL would have been bitting more than what they could chew what with MLS play off in Oct and so forth. One more reason why the MLS cap limit has to go up. Teams will not be able to acquire and pay for the player depth needed compete in all these tournaments.

If more MLS teams start to think the same way, then we could have problems that could trickle right down to the prestige of our own Voyageurs cup. Gaining a spot in CL has to mean something and it has to be viewed as important because superliga is not within Montreal or vancouver's reach and it could be a while until TFC gets to that level.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Using similar logic, I can say that the Mexican league is worse than both the USL and MLS because New England won the SuperLiga (the only tournament where I've seen MLS and FMF sides use their full rosters for so far this year).

With all that, someone should tell Eugene Melnyk that he's an idiot and that he is totally wasting his time and money. USL, not MLS is the way to go.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

With all that, someone should tell Eugene Melnyk that he's an idiot and that he is totally wasting his time and money. USL, not MLS is the way to go.

Try and sell your USL franchise for $40 million... let me know how it goes. Melnyk is a lot of things including crazy like a fox :D

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Actually all I said was that they had a lot of injured players and didn't play well.....but with the fixture list you just provided indicates why the latter might be the case. Simply put, Houston & New England are playing way too many games over this period and I'm wondering if we are seeing a burnt-out De Rosario in World Cup Qualifiers as a result.

Houston and New England have played in MLS, US Open Cup, CONCACAF Champions Cup and now CONCACAF Champions League so far this year.

Obviously the dual CCC and CCL thing won't happen again, but MLS will need to address very soon the issue of player burnout at the top end, unless they are happy with the continued embarrassments.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Do you REALLY believe that the NE Rev's result against JP ( on its own) is reflective/indicative in any way of the of the relative quality and strenght of MLS and USL or USL and carribean and central america? Then what are we to conclude of these results ( posted below)that New England had just weeks before their matches versus JP. Recall that Pachuca are defending CL champs. Sound to me that Gianluca's suggestion earlier is the most credible (ie.; they had other fish to frey, overcrowded fixtures, They didn't take their game against JP seriusly, didn't put their best step forward, didn't try..etc)

Tue 7/1/08 7:00 PM vs Richmond Kickers (USOC) 3-0 W

Fri 7/4/08 10:30 PM @ Los Angeles Galaxy TV38 2-1 W

Tue 7/8/08 7:00 PM vs CP Baltimore (USOC) 1-1 T

Sun 7/13/08 8:00 PM vs Santos Laguna (SL) Telefutura 1-0 W

Wed 7/16/08 8:00 PM vs CF Pachuca (SL) Telefutura 1-0 W

Sun 7/20/08 8:00 PM @ Chivas USA (SL) Telefutura 1-1 T

Wed 7/30/08 8:00 PM vs Atlante (SL) 1-0 W

Tue 8/5/08 8:00 PM vs Houston Dynamo (SL) 2-2 T

Sat 8/9/08 7:30 PM vs Chicago Fire TV38/HDNet 2-1 L

Tue 8/12/08 7:30 PM @ D.C. United (USOC)

Sat 8/16/08 10:00 PM @ San Jose Earthquakes TV38/HDNet 4-0 L

Wed 8/20/08 7:30 PM vs D.C. United TV38 2-1 W

Sat 8/23/08 7:30 PM @ Toronto FC FSC 1-1 T

Tue 8/26/08 8:00 PM @ Joe Public FC (CCL) FSC 2-1 L

Sat 8/30/08 7:30 PM vs Los Angeles Galaxy TV38/HDNet 2-2 T

Tue 9/2/08 8:00 PM vs Joe Public FC (CCL) FSC 4-0 L

Excuses are for losers ... just like people who support TFC.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

At least Esteli knew how to contain. JP were leaving us acres of space.

Joe Public tried to be a little more positive then Esteli in MOntreal though. Estlei just defended for 90 minutes and didn't do a bad job. Joe Public tried to get something going, but Montreal just bossed the midfield.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Joe Public tried to be a little more positive then Esteli in MOntreal though. Estlei just defended for 90 minutes and didn't do a bad job. Joe Public tried to get something going, but Montreal just bossed the midfield.

Yeah Grande had a whale of a match. Breaking them up as well as distributing well.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Using similar logic, I can say that the Mexican league is worse than both the USL and MLS because New England won the SuperLiga (the only tournament where I've seen MLS and FMF sides use their full rosters for so far this year).

Taken from another thread and posted here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1058535/Gullit-I-saw-Zola-boss-I-hope-succeeds-West-Ham.html

Archived