Canada v. Jamaica: Seating Chart

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I wonder when the CSA is going to start promoting this game locally

They probably wont since promotion would cost money and Im pretty sure theyve already made a quick buck on this game so theyre probably satisfied.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Alex

They probably wont since promotion would cost money and Im pretty sure theyve already made a quick buck on this game so theyre probably satisfied.

That's disapointing though.

All things considered they have a good chance to put on a good face for the NT. No need to spend money, just call all the media outlets and start talking about how good things are looking with ticket sales.

Between the U20's, TFC, and the increased profile of the sport in this country (finially) the CSA can piggyback that success into creating a better public profile for the team.

only about 2000 tickets left.

I wonder when the CSA is going to start promoting this game locally

What promotion are you looking for? To what end?

1. Sell tickets? Doesn't look like they need to spend money to sell tickets...we can discuss why tickets have already been sold, but it seems unlikely that they couldn't sell 2000 prior to game day.

2. Raise awareness? CSA doesn't have enough money to raise awareness in the general Toronto market. Maybe some targeted spots in soccer-friendly print and specialty TV would help? It would be nice if they can get key CSA people in interviews with the media, but I'd suggest starting that after the August long weekend. Too early for the media to care, especially with the flood of pre-Olympic stuff we'll see over the next two weeks.

3. Generate support for the program? I'd suggest they did that (with a big helping hand) through their OSA sales and awareness there. Neutrals and general sports fans won't support the program until and unless it wins.

The Olympics should block out the sun for the two weeks surrounding the game, and most people with any familiarity with the program will be skeptical until they actually win a game. I wouldn't waste my time on August 20...get focused on September 6. Put a ton of effort into the Montreal market (where there are still significant tickets for sale?) and build both local awareness now and some national media support post-Olympics. Keep the August 20 activity to local media interviews - line up players for local interviews when they hit town before the game. And keep an eye on August 15 and have a plan on how to cross-promote leading up to - and hoping following - the match. Know who to talk to at the COC and CBC to mention the Men's team during broadcasts - I'm sure Nigel Reed would be happy to cross-promote, and you know Jason Devos will if allowed.

October 15 is the CSA's big opportunity - everyone "knows" Mexico is good (whether they are or not) and will see that Canada has a chance to qualify, but has a big game to get a result in. Unfortunately hockey will be up-and-running, limiting space for MNT articles.

It's all the sections in the middle that are still available. It's interesting because those seats are always the last to sell at BMO for friendlies and Voyageurs Cup matches. It's much different than the ACC or the Dome where there's a big difference between a 15 dollar seat and a 60 dollar seat. At BMO, there's no bad seats at all and therefore not much added value in paying double or triple to sit closer to the centre line. Although the club seats behind the benches with their private lounge and comfy seats do.

80 - 20, to be cautious, sounds ridiculously good. Are you telling me that you are confident that there will be roughly 15,000 pro-Canada fans at this game?

And how many--roughy--of these will be OUR fierce fans? 1,000?

Should we do a media release?

70-30

At best I would think. That is still REALLY good for a game in Toronto with all the jafakeans and traitors in our country. Let's get this sold out though. Sold out would work wonders since people at the game would be like "wow, this is actually big" and continue to buy tickets to MNT games early

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

80 - 20, to be cautious, sounds ridiculously good. Are you telling me that you are confident that there will be roughly 15,000 pro-Canada fans at this game?

And how many--roughy--of these will be OUR fierce fans? 1,000?

Should we do a media release?

Between the Voyageurs, Red Patch Boys, USector, the North End Elite, and other miscellaneous groups from Toronto and across the country, over 2,000 tickets have already been accounted for by Canadian supporters. That is a lot of people who will be standing and chanting for the Red and White.

I agree with Canadian Traveller, the CSA should not waste money on promoting the 20 August match to the general public. I would concentrate on the grassroots through the clubs as people have been doing. The media generated before the match should sell the remaining 2k tickets, and even a walk up crowd should fill anything that is left.

If they want to concentrate, I would do it in Montreal. That being said, a win on the 20 August could do wonders in the 15 or so days before that match. If I was the CSA, I would try to generate interest through the Quebec association at the club level up to 20 August. Depending on the result, they they could do a media blitz in the last 2 weeks. Its a tough cal but they don't have alot of money. A sell out crowd in Toronto on 20 August should get national attention which should generate ticket sales in Montreal.

^ I'm not talking about "promoting" the game for the purpose of selling the last couple thousand tickets. Selling those tickets will happen. I quite confident that this will be a sell out or very damn close to it (18,500 - 19,000).

I'm talking about promoting to create a buzz in the city about this game and this team. Like it or not, Toronto is the media capital of Canada and August is normally a dead sports month (the Olympics obviously changes that but some effort must be made nonetheless to get the hype machine working).

I've got some ideas about doing a media blitz throughout the month of August to promote our team and its players to the Ontario media, on behalf of the Voyageurs. I also want to give the media the heads up on what the supporters are planning to do around the game (i.e. the march, the fact so many V's are coming from around the country for this match, etc...)

I definitely think the CSA should invest its advertising dollars on selling out Stade Saputo and, more importantly, getting a big crowd into Commonwealth for the October fixture. But they should invest PR resources into promoting the MNT to the Toronto media. They need ride the strong wave of support for soccer in Toronto and promote the fact that this will be a very a big game, in front of a very big crowd that will be supporting Canada.

I suspect we are all in violent agreement on this one. July must be the quiet month for disagreement. :)

All I'll say is that to get a buzz for a one-time event in Toronto requires massive amounts of support. But the steps mentioned above are reasonable and, while not going to make a huge dent for August, would definitely be a good start towards 2010. Based upon the reaction to TFC that built up last year, it's reasonable to believe that a similar interest could be generated by this time next year. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get there from here, but the human-interest Voyageurs angle is certainly one approach likely to succeed.

IMHO, the team and the players are non-interesting to Canadian media at this point, and unless one star (i.e. DeRo or Julian) sign with TFC, that won't change until we are almost qualified for SA2010. But you've got to start somewhere, so getting their names out now won't hurt.

Hope you can share your media blitz with folks willing to do the same in Edmonton....

It would be a shame to not sell out this game when we are SOOOO close. 18500-19000 would be disappointing its sooo close.

If people knew how good our men's team was they would come. I mean they come out for Toronto FC, shouldn't that mean that the Men's team should sell out also? Anything less is a failure.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

Between the Voyageurs, Red Patch Boys, USector, the North End Elite, and other miscellaneous groups from Toronto and across the country, over 2,000 tickets have already been accounted for by Canadian supporters. That is a lot of people who will be standing and chanting for the Red and White.

Brings a tear to my eye!!

Bring a hankie to the game Beaver. you're gonna be sobbing uncontrollably. It's going to be a Canadian soccer love in on August 20.

Im so pumped im just gonna get ****faced in the parking lot, bringing a funnel and GIVIN ER

Bring a hankie to the game Beaver. you're gonna be sobbing uncontrollably. It's going to be a Canadian soccer love in on August 20.

Sad thing is there is no way I can get out to your fair city for the game. I'll have to cry tears of joy at home in front of the telecast, whatever that might be.

Archived