Booing of National Anthem?

Ok guys, I think this is something we need to agree on.

As I'm sure we all know, the Canadian national anthem is often booed which I think is pathetic and disrespectful, especially when it's done in Canada.

Anyways my question is A) do we boo the Jamaican national anthem,

B) sing louder in an attempt to drown it out

C) ignore it to not bring ourself down to that level.

Anyways I hate being outchanted in our own backyard and am glad and hopeful that something will finally be done on August on our quest to the WC.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never condone booing another country's national anthem. wouldn't ever do it and completely disagree with it. It is disrespectful and it entirely brings us down to that level. We as a country and people are better than that, and it's definitely not part of the Canadian identity to disrespect other nations anthems. I propose we sing as hard and loud as we can for our own anthem and that's it.

Sitting here at my computer, over a month from the game, I feel comfortable saying that booing another country's anthem is plainly disrespectful, and not something we should engage in. I'll be singing O Canada at the top of my lungs, as I assume the rest of you will also be doing.

However, to be brutally honest, with the tension of matchday and a few pints in me, I'm not sure how I'll react if I see/hear people booing our anthem. I would like to think that I'll act with restraint and respect.

I agree with Grigorio's comments wholeheartedly. We need to belt out Oh Canada as loud and proud as possible. One thing that does piss me off to no end....I stand for your anthem, out of respect and you stand for mine.

Someone sits on their ass, other than someone physically challenged, during Oh Canada, then I'd probably pull you up by the ears, but that is just me...

quote:Originally posted by CanuckSoccerFan

I agree with Grigorio's comments wholeheartedly. We need to belt out Oh Canada as loud and proud as possible. One thing that does piss me off to no end....I stand for your anthem, out of respect and you stand for mine.

Someone sits on their ass, other than someone physically challenged, during Oh Canada, then I'd probably pull you up by the ears, but that is just me...

Sounds good to me.

I'll be belting it out too and standing and cheering and singing the entire 90.

From what I saw in the Jamaica/Bahamas games, they sit for the opposition national anthem. I'll be very interested if that continues here.

Also you best believe I'll boo their anthem if they boo ours. Hopefully we don't play the 7 minute version either.

One thing to be mindful of is that O Canada will be played after the Jamaican anthem, will it not? Therefore, it's critical that during the playing of their anthem, we are nothing but respectful. That way, even if some of the less sophisticated Jamaican fans decide to boo O Canada, there will be no perception of provocation on our part. It will simply reveal them as the ignorant fools they are.*

* I am, of course, hypothetically referring only to any Jamaican fans who decide to boo our anthem, not the Jamaican fanbase as a whole.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

Wouldn't they play the Jamaican anthem first?

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming. So if the Canadian supporters are all silent and respectful during the Jamaican anthem, then if some Jamaican supporters decide to boo our anthem, it simply reveals them as idiots.

Since the Jamaican anthem will come first, there is absolutely nothing for us to gain by booing it, and doing so would just make us look bad (and encourage retaliation by Jamaican fans once "O Canada" comes on).

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

If Jamaicans boo it....

**** will go down. I won't boo theirs but **** will go down

Yes, agreed, while I hope it would not happen, you can imagine some issues would develop.

Folks from Jamaica visiting for the game doing it is one thing, Jamaican- Canadians living here and using Canada's services, doing it, well...that is another. Those folks I'd show the airport too....

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

B) sing louder in an attempt to drown it out

definately, people need to sing it like they got some self esteem, who cares if you look like a foodie, belt that baby out like you don't care what people think, add a bit of beer to the mix and I think a united singing could drown out most anything.

btw, that reminds me, when I went to Canada Costa Rica, they refused to serve me beer, my license is expired but I had my birth cirtificate, sin card, and a few others, man was I cheesed.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

definately, people need to sing it like they got some self esteem, who cares if you look like a foodie, belt that baby out like you don't care what people think, add a bit of beer to the mix and I think a united singing could drown out most anything.

btw, that reminds me, when I went to Canada Costa Rica, they refused to serve me beer, my license is expired but I had my birth cirtificate, sin card, and a few others, man was I cheesed.

I was also refused beer at that game. It really sucks when you travel to the provinces where legal age is 19 when you're 18.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

You guys are much too decent for me.

If they boo our national anthem, then I have no problem giving them the same courtesy.

Agreed, but however, if Jamaican national anthem is played first, then I will just simply yawn. :D

Kind off-topic: is Jamaica our biggest rival in CONCACAF? Just reading some posts and threads on this website, sounds like there is some beef between Canada & Jamaica.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

Kind off-topic: is Jamaica our biggest rival in CONCACAF? Just reading some posts and threads on this website, sounds like there is some beef between Canada & Jamaica.

I'd say we probably have more beef (and recent history) with Honduras and CRC.

What we're seeing here is people stepping it up against our first real opponent (hell, we were even being pricks with the Vincy Heat), the memory of Canada-Jamaica at Varsity in 1999 (too many Jamaicans), the first WCQ in Toronto at BMO and since 2000 and finally a game that means something.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

Agreed, but however, if Jamaican national anthem is played first, then I will just simply yawn. :D

Its more beef because both boards are just completely underestimating the other team (in their own eyes). Of course, in six weeks one side won't be talking crap anymore.

Everyone is eagerly anticipating the match and emotions are high and that, but no need to get some self fulfilling prophecies rolling. Have the Jamaicans ever booed our anthem before? Every thing's cool we have no beef with them. Meanwhile Honduran fans are practicing throwing bags of piss at a life size cutout of Craig Forrest...

I don't understand why booing an anthem is disrespectful. What is the difference between that and booing the team as they come out of the tunnel? The anthem represents the country, and so too does the team, so why is one disrespectful and the other not? I think if our anthem is booed, there anthem should be too. Besides, when Oh Canada is booed in other parts of the world, I fully know that it is for competitive reasons, and not an attack against my country.

Without jumping all over me, I would like to open this discussion as to why it is actually considered disrespectful.

Archived