Your Favourite MNT Moment

Inspired by the thread around "earliest" memories, let's have your favourite moments.

I'll start with a few:

1. George Pakos's goal that made it 2-0 over Honduras in St Johns in '85. It pretty well clinched our spot in the '86 finals. Still my favourite moment.

2. Richard Hastings golden goal against Mexico in the 2000 Gold Cup

3. Craig Forrest being interviewed (by Gerry Dobson?) on the field after winning the same 2000 Gold Cup, near tears and giving the interviewer a hug.

1. Richard Hastings Golden Goal against Mexico Gold, Cup 2000

2. Craig Forrest's Penalty Save against T&T, Gold Cup 2000

3. Julian Deguzman's goals against Costa Rica, Gold Cup 2007

4. Hirshfeld's performance against the USA, Gold Cup 2002

5. Eddy Berdusco's goal against Brazil

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

3. Craig Forrest being interviewed (by Gerry Dobson?) on the field after winning the same 2000 Gold Cup, near tears and giving the interviewer a hug.

That was actually Alf De Blasis talking to him after the T&T Semi Final match. Dobson & Lenarduzzi were calling the game back in the studio.

And as mentioned in the other thread, Pakos goal made it 1-0 for Canada. Sorry, I keep correcting everyone's memories. [:I]

The Gold Cup win was nice and all but my favorite MNT moment is my worst moment as well. It's when we got robbed during the last GC versus the US.

As bad as that sounds, that's when I realized that we had something special on the pitch and that if we continue playing the way we played in that GC, I'll be chanting Allez Les Rouges somewhere in South Africa in 2010.

:)

This might sound a bit strange but consider the source :)

My favorite MNT moment was hitting the crossbar with a header during the 1986 World Cup. It was against France and it was the closest we have come to a major upset in our only visit to the big show. Getting a tie against France would have been a great result and it was so close.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

This might sound a bit strange but consider the source :)

My favorite MNT moment was hitting the crossbar with a header during the 1986 World Cup. It was against France and it was the closest we have come to a major upset in our only visit to the big show. Getting a tie against France would have been a great result and it was so close.

That wasn't the crossbar according to the documentary about 1986. It was Ian Bridge who hit the board behind the net with a powerfull header but giving the impression it was the goal post.

Guest speedmonk42

All those above are great. But I will also mention the Gold Cup robbery against the U.S.

I mention it because it was the first time for me I watched a Canada game with more than one other fan and it was great.

It was at Scallywags.

quote:Originally posted by Montreal_FC_fan

The Gold Cup win was nice and all but my favorite MNT moment is my worst moment as well. It's when we got robbed during the last GC versus the US.

As bad as that sounds, that's when I realized that we had something special on the pitch and that if we continue playing the way we played in that GC, I'll be chanting Allez Les Rouges somewhere in South Africa in 2010.

:)

agreed. I will always remember this because my 7 year old son at the time said what I was thinking. and probably many of you.

he said 'F@#$ing ref'

he than made the mistake of telling mum. he got his moth washed out with soap. I got grief as well because I only wagged a finger at him.

Allez Les Rouge!!!!

If you can redefine 'moment' to be 90 minutes, then our first game in the Gold Cup in 2007. Where Julian stepped up. I've been waiting for 7-8 years for that moment. The team is now his. He will lead us to South Africa.

Runner up - Hastings GG in 2000.

Worst moment - tie between T&T scoring on a break after our hurried free kick in Edm in summer 2000 and the water bottle incident in 2004.

(note - had that T&T thing as summer 2002 but it was summer 2000 for WCQ 2002).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

That wasn't the crossbar according to the documentary about 1986. It was Ian Bridge who hit the board behind the net with a powerfull header but giving the impression it was the goal post.

The impression being helped by play-by-play man Jeff Gowan telling the CBC viewers that it went off the goal post when it actually hit the Seiko sign behind the goal. To be, he was callling the game with Sam Lenarduzzi off a tv monitor in a World Cup studio in Mexico because they couldn't get the audio hook up to work with Steve Armitage & Graham Leggatt who were actually in the stadium well into the second half (in fact not too long before the France goal late in the second).

Ill never forget being pretty much even with the goal line3 when Alex Bunbury opened to scoring at Varsity Stadium in 93 against Mexico, I went mad after that went in...

We lost 2-1, had we won that game, we would have been at the 94 tournament, the place was probably 75% Mexican, and not Toronto-Mexicans, Im talking guys right off the plane who flew here for that game.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

1. Richard Hastings Golden Goal against Mexico Gold, Cup 2000

2. Craig Forrest's Penalty Save against T&T, Gold Cup 2000

3. Julian Deguzman's goals against Costa Rica, Gold Cup 2007

4. Hirshfeld's performance against the USA, Gold Cup 2002

5. Eddy Berdusco's goal against Brazil (1994 Friendly)

Great choices. Let me add:

6. Corrazin's header against Mexico - Gold Cup 2000

7. Gerry Grey's corner kick vs. Brazil - 1984 Olympics

8. Paul Stalteri's goal vs. Costa Rica - GC 2003

9. Jason de Vos' header vs. Colombia - GC Final 2000

10. Julian de Guzman's goal vs. Brazil - Friendly 2008

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Incidentally I think my favourite memory is hearing dear old Steve Armitage shout "And there it goes!" referring to the final whistle in Canada's 2-1 victory over Honduras that took us to the promised land.

This stands out for me: realizing that we actually made it.

Second would be Hastings' goal.

quote:Originally posted by Niagara Hammer

agreed. I will always remember this because my 7 year old son at the time said what I was thinking. and probably many of you.

he said 'F@#$ing ref'

he than made the mistake of telling mum. he got his moth washed out with soap. I got grief as well because I only wagged a finger at him.

Allez Les Rouge!!!!

OHH HO HO...

Not THE "F" word!?

Oh, my.

Ahh the sweet pain of being a Canada fan.

3) DeVos winning goal against Honduras that doesn't hold up as the winner.

2) Attiba's equalizer against the USA that doesn't hold up as the equalizer.

1) Owen Whoregreaves stroking home a penalty on Canda Day and being named Man of the Match...for England.

I am a masochist and Benito is my master...but I am falling in love all over again with the new sexy Canuck football and I feel like this could be a turning point in my twisted relationship with the boys in red.

1. Exploding into celebration in my basement with my dad following Hastings' fortuitous blast in OT vs. Mexico. The rest of that tourney just seemed to fall into place from there.

2. Having Paul Stalteri raise his fist to our section following his goal vs Costa Rica at the Gold Cup in Foxboro. I will post the pic when I get home. The stadium, and my hotel was PACKED with TICOS and it was an epic day all round.

3. Iain Hume rocketting home a shot from 25 yards out in the quarters vs Spain at the U-20 WC in UAE. And he nearly won it from a free kick 5 minutes later.

4. Watching Lars stand on his head for 120 mins for Canada in the 2001 GC semi-finals vs. USA. I don't know how we survived a couple of those spells.

5. Watching JDG blast home the equaliser vs Brazil in Seattle. Was great to be jumping around with a bunch of Vee's whom I had never met and who live thousands of km's away.

1. Hastings / Corrazin's Goals / Forrest's Penalty save / Gold Cup Win

2. Hirsch at the '02 GC

3. Brennan's rocket into the Top Corner against Jamaica in '99

4. Hume's goal at the '07 Gold Cup. Dobson's call was great, it was so passionately biased and guttural- "Scores! Iain Hume!"

5. Raping the Guats of their dignity at the '07 Gold Cup, sweet revenge for the disaster in burnaby.

(There are other fuzzy memories of mobilio and bunbury scoring for us in WCQ, but from that era all i can clearly remember is bunbury hitting a crossbar from distance when we badly needed a goal, who was that against? states maybe?)

1. Sitting with 20 other Canadians behind at least a thousand blue clad Frenchman at Estadio Nou Camp in León on June 1, 1986. We were 11 minutes away from pulling off an improbable tie against France. We had a few chances in the first half and the Mexicans(most of the crowd) were on our side. Dolan played brilliantly, and his mum a little worse for wear from tequila, was in our group. Unfortunately, his error in handling the ball gave Pepin another opportunity and he capitalized. We wore our red and white proudly that night in Leon. What an atmosphere!

2. A few days later, we thought we scored against the USSR. From our angle, Dale Mitchell's free kick looked like it went in. We jumped up in rapture; It rippled the net, but unfortunately it was the top of it. Later, I jumped into moat like ditch surrounding stadium to retrieve ball for Bob Lenarduzzi. Nothing like 5 foot Mexican with a machine gun staring at you with malice to make one hurry.

3. Standing on the track of Swangard Stadium on a rainy Saturday in autumn of 1988. We lost to Guatemala 1-0 in Guatemala City the week before. Unbelievably, they went up 2-0 in Burnaby and we began a feverish comeback. We almost came all the way back. I remember Ian Bridge's header that made it 3-2 for us. I taped it and I can still remember him telling the others, who seemed to think that this was enough, that we needed one more due to away goals rule. We came close, but time ran out. A simpler hex for the next round could not be imagined. Mexico was out for fielding over age players in youth tourney. Honduras was put out by T and T. Arrrgh!

4. Needing a win against Mexico to qualify for USA 94. We went up 1-0 at home in Toronto and had other chances, but lost 2-1. So close. Had it been 1998, we would have qualified as they upped tourney to 32 teams.

5. Gold Cup win. Out of nowhere. What an achievement.

Definitely the 2000 gold cup, first the unbelievable game against the Mexican’s and then the romp of the Columbian’s

I’ll never forget that feeling I had that day, like all the missed chances & opportunity in years gone by had just disappeared.

We were on top

We were the best

We were champions

Archived