Eriksson to coach Mexico?

Free kick

Eriksson vs. Mitchell in a battle of tactical wits. I don't like. That article also speculates that Grant could take over at City. This is what happens when a sociopath Thai businessman owns your club I guess.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Eriksson vs. Mitchell in a battle of tactical wits. I don't like. That article also speculates that Grant could take over at City. This is what happens when a sociopath Thai businessman owns your club I guess.

LOL

Seriously though, against Mexico, we'd be f*cked. Don't think it would take a genius to see who the better tactician is...

If he does as badly with Mexico as all the English fans figure he did at the helm of their national side then it would be great news. As far as all the English people I work with were concerned (and that's quite a few), he was the major, if not only, blame for the lack of success.

Note; I type this with tongue firmly planted in cheek in regard to the notion that he will be bad for Mexico and that he was ever bad for England. He did become quite a scapegoat at the end of his stint with England which I always thought was unfair.

Another interesting thing, with WCQ matches only a month away, the mexican federation still hasn't hired a full time coach to replace Sanchez who was sacked after the the failed Olypmic qualifying.

While this is a bit of an extreme case and probably doesn't speak highly of the way things are run down there, it also make me laugh when I think back to about two years ago reading all the doomsayer going on about the urgency of hiring a full time national team to replace Yallop. I recall quotes of urgency along the line of " its now too late" or " we need a MNT coaches ASAP" Or " any further delay hurts our chance". But the fact is, there was absolutely no rush and the only games of any importance in Concacaf start this summer. Everything else is really not importance. The other countries in Conacaf seem to have clued into this.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Another interesting thing, with WCQ matches only a month away, the mexican federation still hasn't hired a full time coach to replace Sanchez who was sacked after the the failed Olypmic qualifying.

While this is a bit of an extreme case and probably doesn't speak highly of the way things are run down there, it also make me laugh when I think back to about two years ago reading all the doomsayer going on about the urgency of hiring a full time national team to replace Yallop. I recall quotes of urgency along the line of " its now too late" or " we need a MNT coaches ASAP" Or " any further delay hurts our chance". But the fact is, there was absolutely no rush and the only games of any importance in Concacaf start this summer. Everything else is really not importance. The other countries in Conacaf seem to have clued into this.

The urgency from our supporters was because we need games. Mexico is inherently better than every team in Concacaf(arguably), and is a lock to qualify for the World Cup. They don't have the same need for warm up games like we do(though they sure would help), and they don't need managerial input as much as our guys do.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Even though the circumstances are exaclty the same, the nature and experience of the 2 countries makes the situation entirely different. For us World Cup Qualifying is the equivilant to the World Cup itself. We need to have all systems firing as soon as WCQ starts to have a chance at success. For the Mexicans this isn't the case. Their experience and talent allows them to treat WCQ almost like a training camp. A better analogy would be to say "Would Mexico not have a manager 1 month prior to the start of the World Cup?" Probably not.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Ericksson is a horrible tactician, and uninspirational. Singlehandedly threw away the victory against Brazil in 2002. This would be great news for Canada. :)

Really? I could have sworn some moustachioed dick with a ponytail and a fella that could suck the juice out of an orange while he had a tennis racket over his mouth had a hand in it. Inspirate that would ya?

All the England players were playing tentatively in the last half of the last match. You could see the ground almost shifting under their feet. They had no confidence whatsoever, it seemed to the players, not just the spectators, that the result was a foregone conclusion. Not fair to blame it on a minor keeper error, that is rather simplistic like blaming a disease n a symptom instead of the cause.

It was not the man at the helm at the moment that was responsible for the Titanic going down.

Nice image of "Safe Hands", though, Mr. Ed!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/06/03/eriksson_mexico/

From Sportsnet.ca

Eriksson takes over in Mexico

MEXICO CITY -- Former England soccer coach Sven-Goran Eriksson was hired Tuesday to lead Mexico.

Eriksson spent last season as coach of Manchester City in the Premier League and is leaving with two years remaining on his deal.

The 60-year-old Swede was chosen in a vote Tuesday by the owners of the 18 first-division clubs. Hugo Sanchez was fired in March after failing to qualify the under-23 team for the Beijing Olympics.

Eriksson is the ninth foreigner and seventh European to coach the Mexican team. The previous one was Serbia's Bora Milutinovic, who resigned in 1997. Before Milutinovic, Mexico was coached by two Spaniards, two Hungarians and an Englishman.

"I want to thank the owners and the Mexican federation for their trust, I'm very happy to be the manager," Eriksson said in a statement in Spanish. "I accepted because it is a big challenge, Mexico is a big country. Our goal, everybody's goal is to play in the World Cup in 2010, I'll try to do better than in the past."

Mexican Federation President Justino Compean said Eriksson's contract would last until 2010, but the economic terms were not disclosed.

Several of Mexico's stars, including top scorer Jared Borgetti, were against Eriksson.

"This is not the time to hire a European coach, because if you do that, you are not thinking in soccer terms," Borgetti said before the vote.

Some players, including PSV Eindhoven defender Carlos Salcido, argued that the language barrier could be a problem. But Eriksson -- who speaks five languages -- he was confident he could win over skeptics.

"That means that the challenge is even bigger, is up to me to convince the players that I'm the right man for the job," Eriksson said. "It's very easy, I'm Swedish, I managed to do an OK job in England, Portugal and Italy. After learning Portuguese and Italian, you have to be very stupid not to be able to learn Spanish".

The Mexican Federation announced that Eriksson would fly to the U.S. to watch friendly matches against Argentina on Wednesday in San Diego, and against Peru in Chicago on Sunday.

He will be at the two World Cup qualifying matches against Belize on June 15 and 21, then return to Mexico City the first week of July.

"I will have better ideas (about the Mexican players) after these four games, right now I do not want to talk about players, or style of play," Eriksson said. "Please respect that. I don't think that is very professional to talk about a team that has a manager."

Mexico will be coached the next four games by Jesus (Chucho) Ramirez, who won the U17 World Championship in Peru 2005.

Mexico' goal is to reach a World Cup quarter-finals for the first time since Mexico hosted in 1986. Only under Milutinovic was the team able to play a fifth game.

"That's everybody's dream, the players, the coaches," Eriksson said. "First we have to qualify, then we can begin to talk about that famous fifth game. I think we are going to do well."

Well, I really like Sven as a club manager and was sad to hear the psycho chairman ousted him from City -more so because it proved the chairman was a complete nutter, but that's another story. However, the Mexicans are a temperamental bunch in their own right and it's quite a risk appointing someone who the players don't like this close to qualifying. Not sure that it really affects us one way or the other as the best I'm hoping for is a point at home from these guys but, who knows, maybe they'll have a total breakdown in Edmonton and we can take three.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Mexico are eternal Bridesmaids.

What does that make us?

mexico lost 4-1 to the Argies last night in San Diego. Sven was in the stands with 68k others.

SAN DIEGO -- A record 68,498 soccer fans packed Qualcomm Stadium to see Argentina defeat Mexico 4-1 on Wednesday.

Maximiliano Rodriguez scored the last of three unanswered goals in the first 30 minutes, as Argentina took control against Mexico on the way to the win.

The loss came in the first game for Mexico since Sven-Goran Eriksson was hired as the team's new coach on Tuesday. He watched from the stands while interim coach Jesus Ramirez continued a five-game tenure that lasts through June 21.

The two teams last played one another during the World Cup in 2006 and Argentina won 2-1 in overtime.

Colorful fans walked into Qualcomm wearing lucha libre masks, sombreros and the Mexican flag. One family from Mexicali all painted their hair green to reflect Mexico's team color.

Two fans, one of Argentina one of Mexico, agreed that "friendly" is not the correct term because the two teams have become rivals and fans of El Tri are still burned about getting eliminated from the last World Cup by Argentina.

The parking lot around Qualcomm Stadium quickly filled to near capacity as fans came from Mexico and all around Southern California to watch the match played under damp conditions. Despite the rain and cool temperatures, the crowd was expected to be the largest ever to watch a soccer match in San Diego County.

Back in 1993 -- the first time the two teams faced off against one another -- Interstate 805 commuters were faced with gridlock for hours. Some people actually parked on the freeway and walked to the game.

During that game 20,000 fans were expected and more than 63,000 showed up. At the game, fans rushed the field and were beat up by security guards.

I can't see how Sven in charge of Mexico will be good for us. He's used to dealing with a team full of Prima Donnas and there are plenty of those on Mexicos. If he manages to bring the team together we will have a very tough time getting points out of them.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I can't see how Sven in charge of Mexico will be good for us. He's used to dealing with a team full of Prima Donnas and there are plenty of those on Mexicos. If he manages to bring the team together we will have a very tough time getting points out of them.

Agreed. Simply put, no other Concacaf coach comes close to the achievements, accomplishments and experience of SGE. He has coached at Benfica, Lazio, Man City, England and even won titles. Unless you believe that a coach means little in the game of soccer, you have to view this as a big plus for Mexico and its prospects. This is significant given that we are slated to be in same pool as Mexico in the semi final rounds. I would have been far more confident in stealing points from them with someone like Hugo Sanchez in charge.

Archived