Here's the name!!

Guest Ed

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is all down to Winnipeg Fury getting this done. He has guaranteed this ragtag group of Cdn soccer supporters will be remembered for one of their contributions to the game in Canada. Great work D.

Excellent job, WF ! We should be proud that our informal

organization of supporters is getting the RIGHT recognition

for our passion and efforts. Cheers to all the founders, contributors,

and supporters of the Voyageurs and the Voyageurs Cup.[^]

quote:Originally posted by Cashcleaner

So....we can just call it the Voyageurs Cup then, right? :D

I'm going to. Is is so much shorter than the other option "Nutrilite Canadian Champions League" that I don't see anyone other than the announcers using the latter.

I want to thank and acknowledge a number of people that assisted in this endeavour at various points along the way:

All the Voyageurs that sent an e-mail to the CSA voicing their opposition to anything but the Voyageurs Cup being used.

Paul Beirne, General Manager of Toronto FC and Bob Lenarduzzi, President of Soccer Operations for the Vancouver Whitecaps. They gave me valuable feed-back and frank, insightful discussion of their views. After a couple of productive conversations with these two, I knew we had both clubs behind us. Although I never spoke directly with Joey Saputo, President of the Montreal Impact, I was told on a number of occasions that he was 100% behind us.

With the clubs lined up behind us, I moved to the various supporters clubs in Canada. All of the major supporters clubs in Canada strongly endorsed the Voyageurs Cup. U-Sector, Red Patch Boys, Southsiders, and Ultras Montreal. It was great to see all the various factions stand beside the Voyageurs in supporting Canada.

John Billingsley, Chief Operating Officer of the CSA, did much of the detailed leg-work in putting together the agreement between the CSA and the Voyageurs. He did a great job incorporating all of our concerns and was a joy to work with. Tanya Colburne, Events Manager of the CSA, also assisted and her effort was much appreciated. General-Secretary Peter Montopoli was true to his word and had the courage to admit that the CSA was wrong all these years not to have worked with us. He has made amends.

And last but not least, to the Founders of the Voyageurs Cup (there you go Franky, no more grandfather), who had the vision, passion and balls to get this project rolling in 2002. Dreams do come true.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

John Billingsley, Chief Operating Officer of the CSA, did much of the detailed leg-work in putting together the agreement between the CSA and the Voyageurs. He did a great job incorporating all of our concerns and was a joy to work with. Tanya Colburne, Events Manager of the CSA, also assisted and her effort was much appreciated. General-Secretary Peter Montopoli was true to his word and had the courage to admit that the CSA was wrong all these years not to have worked with us. He has made amends.

Wow. Sounds like an olive branch peace offer if I've ever seen one. I know that nobody is going to change their opinions about the CSA overnight and we are all waiting to see what the CSA will do to implement the changes that are desperately required but this is a good start.

Thanks to Winnipeg Fury for making this happen. Seeing our trophy lifted is something that will make us all proud. Also, well done on the terms of the agreement. I think it satisfies all Voayageurs!

And without a doubt, I nominate you to present the trophy on our behalf this year!

I want to thank and acknowledge a number of people that assisted in this endeavour at various points along the way:

All the Voyageurs that sent an e-mail to the CSA voicing their opposition to anything but the Voyageurs Cup being used.

Paul Beirne, General Manager of Toronto FC and Bob Lenarduzzi, President of Soccer Operations for the Vancouver Whitecaps. They gave me valuable feed-back and frank, insightful discussion of their views. After a couple of productive conversations with these two, I knew we had both clubs behind us. Although I never spoke directly with Joey Saputo, President of the Montreal Impact, I was told on a number of occasions that he was 100% behind us.

With the clubs lined up behind us, I moved to the various supporters clubs in Canada. All of the major supporters clubs in Canada strongly endorsed the Voyageurs Cup. U-Sector, Red Patch Boys, Southsiders, and Ultras Montreal. It was great to see all the various factions stand beside the Voyageurs in supporting Canada.

And last but not least, to the Founders of the Voyageurs Cup (there you go Franky, no more grandfather), who had the vision, passion and balls to get this project rolling in 2002. Dreams do come true.

;)

good stuff, WF. This is definitely history in the making.

I still have to pinch myself over and over again, just to make sure this is not a dream, with TFC and now the Voyageur Cup becoming valued across the nation (well, actually vcr-tor-mtl, for now).

the supporters have played a huge role in the development of the pro game here in Canada. This is something, all of us, should take pride in.

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

Meanwhile, in the shadows, the tournament has had a name change : Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

But the media are still using "Canadian Champions League". It's the CSA's fault, not the media's.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Out of curiosity, has the CSA got the actual trophy now, or is it somebody else's hands?

My guess would be that the Impact still have it. But it's just a guess.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

But the media are still using "Canadian Champions League". It's the CSA's fault, not the media's.

My guess would be that the Impact still have it. But it's just a guess.

The CSA sold the rights to the Qualification, so of course they are going to release it as such. Hopefully the media do an ounce of homework and realize this is not the first and there is already a history behind the V-Cup (maybe the fans should be pointing this out to those that need to be clued in). I think it is inevitable it will be called the Voyageurs Cup.

Yes, Montreal still has the trophy.

The CSA sold the rights to the Qualification, so of course they are going to release it as such. Hopefully the media do an ounce of homework and realize this is not the first and there is already a history behind the V-Cup (maybe the fans should be pointing this out to those that need to be clued in). I think it is inevitable it will be called the Voyageurs Cup.

Yes, but I'm not talking about the Voyageurs Cup. I'm talking about the fact that it was initially called the "Nutrilite Canadian Champions League" (which the media picked up) but a couple of days later it got switched to "Nutrilite Canadian Championship" (which the media haven't picked up). Whatever the reason for this, it was badly mishandled.

I'd like to echo the comments thanking Dwayne (Winnipeg Fury) for his excellent work in having the Voyageurs Cup become THE Cup of Canadian Soccer. I think "Another Voyageurs Cup Sighting" takes on a new status! I'd also like to thank Danny (DJT) and the others (and I am sorry for not having names) involved in Keeping the Voyageurs Cup competition in the public eye over the last 5 years, because there is no doubt that was huge part of why we obtained the result we have.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

I don't understand why the old V-Cup site would have to be taken offline? Couldn't it exist in some format just for statistical purposes?

I don't want everything deleted, but hopefully we can archive all the information somewhere.

But yes, the CSA wanted the site taken down, and that was one of the conditions of the agreement.

While they have it, they are in control of it.

I don't want everything deleted, but hopefully we can archive all the information somewhere.

But yes, the CSA wanted the site taken down, and that was one of the conditions of the agreement.

While they have it, they are in control of it.

Why don't you just transfer all the content to wikipedia? May not be the most glamorous location, but its somewhere thats easy to do.

Archived