Here's the name!!

Guest Ed

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBC to broadcast Nutrilite Canadian Champions League

Last Updated: Friday, May 23, 2008 | 6:31 PM ET Comments0Recommend0

CBC Sports

CBC announced on Friday that it will broadcast the inaugural Nutrilite Canadian Champions League — the Canadian qualifying tournament for the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) Champions League.

The tournament will feature three Canadian teams — Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and the Vancouver Whitecaps — who will compete for the right to represent Canada at the new continental club championship.

The CONCACAF Champions League winner will then qualify as the CONCACAF representative at the 2009 FIFA Club World Cup.

The winner of the Nutrilite Canadian Champions League will also receive the Voyageurs Cup trophy, awarded to the top professional Canadian team since 2002 and donated by the Canadian Soccer Association for the event.

"We are thrilled to add coverage of the first-ever Canadian Champions League to our soccer lineup," said Scott Moore, executive director, CBC Sports. "Our agreements with FIFA and MLS show that CBC is committed to helping to grow the game in Canada.

"This will be an exciting tournament with intense competition between Canada's professional teams. Bringing it to Canadians is an important part of our commitment."

CBCSports.ca will provide video streaming of four matches, providing coverage both live and on demand.

Toronto FC is enjoying an excellent start to their sophomore season in Major League Soccer. The club is currently riding a six-game unbeaten streak, sitting fourth in the league's Eastern Conference (4-2-2).

The Whitecaps and the Impact both play in the United Soccer Leagues' first division.

Vancouver has posted a record of 3-1-1 through five games, good for a third-place tie in the first division standings. Montreal has struggled in its first seven games, sitting in eighth place by virtue of a 2-4-1 record.

Coverage of the Nutrilite Canadian Champions League kicks off live on the CBC digital channel bold and CBCSports.ca, on Tuesday, May 27, at 7:30 p.m. ET, as the Montreal Impact hosts Toronto FC at Saputo Stadium. In other Nutrilite Canadian Champions League action:

* Tuesday, July 1 - Vancouver Whitecaps at Toronto FC (3 p.m. ET, CBC, CBCSports.ca

* Wednesday, June 25 - Montreal Impact at Vancouver Whitecaps (8 p.m. PT/11 p.m. ET, bold and CBCSports.ca)

* Tuesday, July 22 - Montreal Whitecaps at Toronto FC (7 p.m. ET, bold and CBCSports.ca)

Perhaps Nutrilite didn't want to have their name on the Voyageurs Cup (or somebody thought we didn't want their name on the trophy), so they had to call it something different. It would have been also strange to call it the "Nutrilite Canada Cup", but actually give away the Voyaguers Cup.

In some way the tourney determines the champion of Canada and it is a league format (ie, there is no elimination), so the name isn't completely strange. In the future, it should be Cup format involving lower leagues, and then I guess you could call it the "Canadian Championship Tournement".

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Whatever, the VCup is the trophy and there's no sponsor name on it.

Yes there is.

It's sponsored by an obsessive compulsive group of lawless Canadian football fans driven to insanity after years of cheering alone in the wilderness.

And yes, it does seem like somebody has leaked something doesn't it?

P.S. Great to see we have broadcast confirmation on at least 3 of the V-Cup fixtures.

P.S.S. You know what's great about the sponsorship? NO ONE is going to call this tourny the Nutrilite Canadian Champions League. Not a soul. It's going to be Voyageurs Cup more than not. Guaranteed.

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

Perhaps Nutrilite didn't want to have their name on the Voyageurs Cup (or somebody thought we didn't want their name on the trophy), so they had to call it something different. It would have been also strange to call it the "Nutrilite Canada Cup", but actually give away the Voyaguers Cup.

Think of it this way - imagine the NHL Playoffs were sponsored by Nutralite (or whoever), but they are still playing for the Stanley Cup ( a trophy that existed prior to the existence of the NHL (just like the Voyageurs Cup was around before this tourney).

I would like to extend my thanks to Winnipeg Fury for all the good work he put in in helping to make this a reality. Not sure if the "donated by the CSA" reference was intentional or a slip up, but the fact that the Voyageurs Cup is the official trophy they are aiming for is fantastic news IMO.

Firstly, here is the media release I received:

Along with a chance to represent Canada in the 2008-09 CONCACAF Champions League™ (and hopefully a chance to represent the confederation in the 2009 FIFA Club World Cup), the first-place team will be awarded the Voyageurs Cup. The Voyageurs Cup has been donated by Voyageurs to the Canadian Soccer Association for the purposes of being awarded to the champion of the new Nutrilite Canadian Champions League.

So yes, it states the V's donated the Cup. An earlier one must have gone out with an error.

This has been some time in the making, and it is now official. As Cheeta has said, there is no way this will be called anything but the Voyageurs Cup down the road.

No question the Voyageurs Cup is now the Holy Grail of Canadian soccer.

This is only for a two year agreement, as the CSA has only been granted to the Champions League till 2010 (although I expect and hope this will last forever).

In reaching the agreement, it is understood that we offered the Voyageurs Cup to the CSA, to be awarded to the Champion of the CONCACAF Qualifying tournament, and as part of this agreement the CSA will own, manage and be 100% responsible for the upkeep of the Voyageurs Cup.

Starting in 2010, the terms of the agreement will be reviewed, and if we don't feel the Voyageurs Cup is being run properly or is being misrepresented, we can retain the Voyageurs Cup.

Overall I am very happy with the agreement. While the CSA has the trophy, we relinquish all rights to it, but we can also take it back if we feel it isn't working the way we like (as can the CSA). In my discussions with the CSA, I told them that this was the key point raised by the membership. That if something goes sideways, we want to reclaim the trophy for our use. We have that guarantee.

There is also no sponsorship attached to the actual trophy, which is ideal. They can call the qualifying tournamnet anything they like. Sponsors will come and go. But there is no question they are playing for the Voyageurs Cup, and this will be our legacy.

In my discussions with Peter Montopoli, he stated that he hopes the Voyageurs are proud of what they have achieved, as it is history in the making. He hoped that by recognizing the Voyageurs Cup, it was acknowledgment and respect towards the Voyageurs for their dedicated support of Canadian soccer.

Well done boys. I could not have done it without you.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am a bit stunned, but it is great news.

A couple things. They do not tamper with the plaques indicating winners already on the Cup?

They pay for the new plaques to be added for each winner.

We have the right to link to any site they set up for the Cup, and they link to us (something I don't think the CSA has done in the past).

We have a rep at the trophy awarding ceremony.

Having our name on the cup obviously raises our profile. So can we get anything out of that, like a firmer ad committment to help pay for the site?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I am a bit stunned, but it is great news.

A couple things. They do not tamper with the plaques indicating winners already on the Cup?

They pay for the new plaques to be added for each winner.

We have the right to link to any site they set up for the Cup, and they link to us (something I don't think the CSA has done in the past).

We have a rep at the trophy awarding ceremony.

Having our name on the cup obviously raises our profile. So can we get anything out of that, like a firmer ad committment to help pay for the site?

Many of these issues were touched on during negotiations.

-Regarding the trophy (and plaques), the CSA is 100% responsible for the upkeep of the trophy. And I mean everything.

-We will have no right to link to any site regarding to Voyageurs Cup. In fact, the Voyageurs Cup sub-site we have (that most of you have probably never looked at) that has all the statistics will have to be taken off-line. For all intent and purpose, if the CSA are using the Voyageurs Cup, it is their show.

-A rep at the presentation was discussed, and although not part of the agreement, the CSA stated that they would not have a problem with it. The understanding was that I would give them a name every year and this individual would assist in the trophy presentation. This would have to be discussed with the club that wins etc....I don't see any problems. I think it's a wonderful acknowledgement to Voyageurs that contributed/support the Voyageurs Cup.

-Yes, having the most valuable award in Canadian soccer certainly raises our profile. It may take a couple of years to begin to see the benefits, but there is no doubt it is a huge boost to our profile. That can only help in every way.

If there are any other questions, ask away.

Archived