Here's the name!!

Guest Ed

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Yes, but I'm not talking about the Voyageurs Cup. I'm talking about the fact that it was initially called the "Nutrilite Canadian Champions League" (which the media picked up) but a couple of days later it got switched to "Nutrilite Canadian Championship" (which the media haven't picked up). Whatever the reason for this, it was badly mishandled.

My column this week was about the tournament. Every release I got said Nutrilite Canadian Champions League. I wrote the thing Sunday and luckily saw the change on this board Monday and was able to re-write it in time for Tuesday's edition.

But yes the naming was handled badly. On the upside at least they settled on a far better name. Writing about the 'Nutrilite Canadian Champions League' and the 'CONCACAF Champions League' in the same piece gets a little convoluted. Never mind that it's more of a championship than a league and none of the teams taking part in the Voyageurs Cup are really champions.

I'm not even sure I have the words for how cool I think it is that the Vees Cup is attached to this. I can't thank Dwayne, Danny, everyone who has really put in a lot of work on this thing over the years.

Somewhere I have some info from the early years. I wanted to really keep good tabs on the tournament (game summaries and career totals, etc), but I wasn't able to do it. I wish I had, but it didn't happen.

Somewhere I do have those files though. We really should try to hang onto as much pre-Nutrilite history as we can.

cheers,

matthew

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A cool little aside:

In the statistics section of La Presse there's a VCup standings section with a little explanation, mentioning what the winner gets and it says, among other things: le gagnant remportera la Coupe des Voyageurs et se qualifiera pour la Ligue des Champions.

It's cool to see it in writing (and in French) like that.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

A cool little aside:

In the statistics section of La Presse there's a VCup standings section with a little explanation, mentioning what the winner gets and it says, among other things: le gagnant remportera la Coupe des Voyageurs et se qualifiera pour la Ligue des Champions.

It's cool to see it in writing (and in French) like that.

when its stated in french, it sounds more like: " and the winner will capture the Travellers cup...."

Archived