May 27 - Voyageurs Cup: Montreal vs Toronto [R]

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Ah ha ha ha.

Ohhhhh. THAT has got to hurt.

(And there's our 1st standout piece of V-Cup trivia. TFC. Velez. 74 min. Header from dead ball to keepers left).

And so, let it be known, that the first goal scored at Saputo Stadium was scored by Marco Velez!

Will we be taking up a collection to erect a bronze statue?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I'll be stunned if Velez isn't skinned for an Impact goal today. Well, maybe not stunned but surprised. 10 black shirts or no.

I think TFC should convert him to a striker. On the one hand, he's more dangerous than Cunningham (and now has more goals on the season to prove it ;)) and on the other side he showed that he could get taken to the cleaners by strikers in the USL, never mind the MLS. Placentino was getting the better of him the whole night & Velez was extremely fortunate not to be called for that should-have-been PK against Rocco in the first half.

A shame for Montreal, they should have have the lead in the first half and probably would have come away with a draw were it not for the utter stupity of Pesoli. Given that Suprenant totally outperformed him at the back, I think the Impact can safely ship him back to Italy.

I'm surprised De Santis didn't bring on Gbeke as a target man striker instead of that Brazilian guy who came on. The speed game was working for Montreal when it was 11 on 11 but they needed a big guy who could bring the ball down, hold it up or at least make (as Nigel Reed is perhaps too fond of saying) "a nuisance of himself".

On the TFC front, we need to replace Cunningham. A little disappointed that Carver didn't give a couple of young Canucks a few minutes on the bench at the end there, given that he knows how excited the Canadian players were. I would have taken off Harmse & given a few minutes to Rosenlund at the very least.

That result sure throws a wrinkle into everything... I suppose things will be more clear after another match. It sure hurts Montreal though. I'd say they now need maximum points against the 'Caps, and points in Toronto. Great result for TFC. Bad result for the 'Caps though.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

On the TFC front, we need to replace Cunningham. A little disappointed that Carver didn't give a couple of young Canucks a few minutes on the bench at the end there, given that he knows how excited the Canadian players were. I would have taken off Harmse & given a few minutes to Rosenlund at the very least.

I agree 100%. Since this game was likely not watched by many MLS coaches, and they would still remember Cunningham being the 2006 Golden Boot winner, I think his trade value is still alot higher than his on-field value. The problem is that Dichio has a minor injury problem, Smith is just ok and I assume that Lombardo is still not ready for primetime. How Mo is doing with the rumoured DP striker will determine when Cunningham can be moved.

The Canadian players probably were more geared-up for this. They understand the historic rivalry between cities better. When Harmse got the yellow I hoped that he would be taken off as a precaution. The Impact lost their player very soon after. With Montreal down a man and having a weakened midfield in a scoreless game, I would have entrusted Robbo to handle the defensive duties and put Rosenlund at the top of a diamond formation midfield that pushed for a goal. In the end, it wasn't necessary, but I still think that Carver took an unnecessary risk in keeping Harmse in there. He could have easily made the game ten-a-side.

I didn't bother posting in any of the prediction threads, but I thought before this tournament started that TFC would get eight points from two home wins and two away draws. This away win messes up my prediction, but it sure makes things easier for TFC. The club is very strong at home, so even if they were to lose at Vancouver they could still finish with nine points.

The key match-up might not involve TFC. If one USL club dominates the other for six points, then they have a chance of winning the Voyageurs Cup. If they split wins or draw each other, then I think TFC will walk away with this easily.

One possible scenario: TFC wins both home games plus this win for nine points, and Vancouver beats Toronto at home and wins both against Montreal for nine points. Toronto and Vancouver finish tied on points with a home win against each other. What's the tie-breaker? Is it aggregate score + away goals? Is it goal differential for the entire tournament?

Good 1st half my Montreal. Nice kits too I might add. I was actually worried at 1st but am glad Velez got the goal. Nice assist by Robert.

I HIGHLY doubt the 'Caps or Impact will win at BMO. BMO is a fortress and TFC thrives off the 12th man at home. I'd be shocked if either man managed a win.

1 step closer to the Champions League! :)

I would have liked to see some of the younger players get some mins. Ah well.

LA is next!

Really positive showing from a Montreal supporter's point of view. Gatti especially stood out as having made some excelent smart distributions. Barnett was absolutely atrocious, but what else is new. It's hard to tell if the Impact strikers really just can't finish, or if they are under strict orders from DeSantis A) not to shoot unless inside the 18 yard box, and B) not to time their runs until the pass has already made it over their own heads.

So, apparently UM02 boyz were burning a TFC scarf after the match and there was a fight between TFC fans and UM02, can you montreal ppl confirm this, I also heard two TFC fans got jumped before the game? Is this true?

quote:Originally posted by Pawel

So, apparently UM02 boyz were burning a TFC scarf after the match and there was a fight between TFC fans and UM02, can you montreal ppl confirm this.

Yes it happened.

*As I heard*

No, there weren't 40-50 UM02.

While the fight went on a girl with the UM02 was harassed by some kindly old TOFC fans.

The girl is 15.

quote:The Toronto goal cast a deathly silence over the near capacity crowd of 12,083 at Saputo Stadium, save for a small corner of the crowd made up of a travelling contingent of Toronto fans, wearing their red jerseys, waving flags and making their presence felt with loud chants throughout the match.

Wrong.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

I HIGHLY doubt the 'Caps or Impact will win at BMO. BMO is a fortress and TFC thrives off the 12th man at home. I'd be shocked if either man managed a win.

1 step closer to the Champions League! :)

The worst home team last year in MLS with the 12th man there to "help" them?

This whole business has to stop if anyone has any respect for reason, logic or statistics. It is all very well to spout these comments as a way of lauding home support, but the results on the field in the first year were disastrous. And if they were the worst team with 12 playing how much worse would they have been with 11?

If TFC played with a 12th man last year his effect on the team's results was similar to that of a psychopathic alchemist in science class. Better get rid of him if that is the reasoning. World soccer stats demonstrate that teams do better at home and worse away, 95% of the time. And that includes amateur teams playing on home field in front of 35 silent spectators. And pro teams with thousands of crappy fans who sit on their hands.

On the other side of things, anyone want to make a list of teams with great noisy fans in the 12th man vein who get chronically poor results and have relegated way below the level of the support in the stands? Or are there just too many of them?

Go Caps, bad result for us though as a draw would have been better for our chances.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Pawel

So, apparently UM02 boyz were burning a TFC scarf after the match and there was a fight between TFC fans and UM02, can you montreal ppl confirm this, I also heard two TFC fans got jumped before the game? Is this true?

There was a small group of jerk offs who were looking to fight. Challenging people before the game.

They got their wish later.

Probably 10 idiots at most caused 99% of the problems.

What the security did though was just inexcusable.

Probably lots of isolated incidents of stupidity on both sides.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The worst home team last year in MLS with the 12th man there to "help" them?

This whole business has to stop if anyone has any respect for reason, logic or statistics. It is all very well to spout these comments as a way of lauding home support, but the results on the field in the first year were disastrous. And if they were the worst team with 12 playing how much worse would they have been with 11?

If TFC played with a 12th man last year his effect on the team's results was similar to that of a psychopathic alchemist in science class. Better get rid of him if that is the reasoning. World soccer stats demonstrate that teams do better at home and worse away, 95% of the time. And that includes amateur teams playing on home field in front of 35 silent spectators. And pro teams with thousands of crappy fans who sit on their hands.

On the other side of things, anyone want to make a list of teams with great noisy fans in the 12th man vein who get chronically poor results and have relegated way below the level of the support in the stands? Or are there just too many of them?

Go Caps, bad result for us though as a draw would have been better for our chances.

TFC plays better at home, hence the 12th man comment.

Road games, uhh... not even going to go there, let's just say it ain't pretty.lol But that just goes for pretty much all teams.

quote:Originally posted by martinm182

I've heard they do this to their own...

Can't comment about the fight, as I wasn't there myself.

But as for the harassment comment, I hope it wasn't true. As for harassing "our own", I think what is meant (and hope this is the case) is that the supporters heckle the mom and pops who go to sit down at games and not chant for 90mins. Unfortunately everyone doesn't fit in the south end.

That's it in a nutshell.

But like I said, I wasn't there so I can only guess.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Trident

Yes it happened.

*As I heard*

No, there weren't 40-50 UM02.

While the fight went on a girl with the UM02 was harassed by some kindly old TOFC fans.

The girl is 15.

That said, I also saw teenagers on more than one occasion walk up to with two fingers in the air screaming and endless stream of insults at TFC fans just to be told to calm down and go away. So in isolation we can find anything we want.

Lots of isolated acts of stupidity and common sense were there on both sides.

But if anyone can point to a group of TFC fans who actively, hours before the game started went around looking for fights, grabbing people, pushing and hitting people... tell us who they are.

UM02 knows exactly who these people are. And no, I am not saying they are responsible at all or have any control over such things.

These ten(ish) idiots have caused us all huge problems and those who responded to them.

What do we want?

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Trident

Wrong.

Totally agree here.

Below the TFC supporters section the crowd responded very well.

The kids were hilarious and they had something going pretty much the whole game. There is definitely a generation of mentally warped future UMO2 fans there.

Not at all surprising to me, and I am sure many others, but this particularly should be noted:

Toronto FC coach John Carver admitted he was a little surprised by the quality of the Impact's players, and he would love to see more Canadian rivals join his club in North America's top soccer league.

"Some of the opposition performed and opened up my eyes, there's not that much difference between the two leagues," Carver said.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Not at all surprising to me, and I am sure many others, but this particularly should be noted:

Toronto FC coach John Carver admitted he was a little surprised by the quality of the Impact's players, and he would love to see more Canadian rivals join his club in North America's top soccer league.

"Some of the opposition performed and opened up my eyes, there's not that much difference between the two leagues," Carver said.

Well it probably makes a difference when he gets a chance to see the quality of players in the opposition, as opposed to taking Mo Johnston's word for it. ;)

Archived