Dasovic names provisional roster

loyola

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well it's looking pretty good if he was both named to the squad and on a plane for California as we speak.

Now we just wait for Dasovic to cut Lenksy from the 20 man squad. Mitchell would.

A lot of people on the forum bashed the hiring of Dasovic for this job, so let's give him credit on this. It remains to be seen how he'll do as a coach, but he's done a good job at finding new names and getting as many people involved in the programme in a pretty short span of time.

Article on Nik Ledgerwood and our Olympic qualifying team from the 1860 website. Says he will be flying out Friday to join the rest of the team in California. States the games we will play, the other group and the semi-finals, final particulars. Of interest to us, some comments by Nik on our group and chances as well.

Original article here:

http://www.tsv1860.de/de/aktuell/news/2007/news_2008-03-05_ledgerwood.php

Quick translation of Nik's comments:

"It would be super if we could qualify", says Ledgerwood. "We have enough talent in the team, I am very optimistic and look forward to the games." The 23-year-old estimates Mexico as a "strongest opponent". "The first game is actually already like the final for us", notes Ledgerwood. For on paper, Canada should win against Haiti and Guatemala. And "If we win the group, there is a very good chance we will not have to play the USA (likely the best team in the other group) in a semifinal. "However we must keep keep our focus on game to game", emphasized Ledgerwood, "Step by Step" to Beijing

Keegan Ayre not in the lineup for today's make up game at Airdrie. Confirmed to play for Canada on Berwick Rangers site:

"Keegan Ayre will play his last game on Saturday for 3 weeks, as he is jetting off to the olympics to represent Canada."

Saturday's game was postponed so he is probably already in California.

http://www.berwickrangers.net/?page_id=5

Article on Rosenlund in the SB paper. The writer in incorrect about Tyler scoring in the championship match, he got an assist, not a goal.

Rosenlund returns to Harder on the other side

BARRY PUNZAL, NEWS-PRESS SPORTS EDITOR

March 6, 2008 12:00 AM

Tyler Rosenlund's soccer life a couple of years ago was like scoring a golden goal. He was feeling on top of the world after helping the UCSB men's soccer team to the 2006 NCAA national championship.

The satisfaction of that achievement, along with the quality of his performance during the Gauchos' incredible run to the title, convinced him that he was ready to take his game to the professional level -- a dream of his since he was 5 years old, he said.

Looking back on it now, Rosenlund said he wished he would've stayed one more year at UCSB rather than turn pro. He experienced some tough times last year while trying to make a go of it in Sweden. But things are starting to look up now that he's back on his home soil in Canada.

Rosenlund is a member of Canada's Under-23 national team that is preparing for the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying tournament at the Home Depot Center in Carson. In a warm-up before facing Mexico, Haiti and Guatemala in group play on March 12, 14 and 16, the Canadians will take on UCSB on Friday at 7 p.m. at Harder Stadium.

"It'll be a good tune-up for us," said Rosenlund from the team's hotel in Oxnard (Canada has been training at Oxnard College since March 1). "I know UCSB will come out 100 miles an hour. Knowing Tim (UCSB coach Tim Vom Steeg), they'll be putting a lot of pressure on our team. They won't give us any time on the ball."

Friday's exhibition will be Rosenlund's first game at Harder Stadium since he recorded a hat trick in a 3-2 win over Northwestern in a 2006 NCAA quarterfinal match before 8,784 fans.

"That was a pretty unreal experience," Rosenlund recalled of that magical night and the team's run to the title.

Rosenlund was the catalyst behind UCSB's championship surge. After the Gauchos struggled to a 7-6 record at midseason, the playmaking midfielder found his groove and the team went 10-1-1 the rest of the way. In those last 12 games of the year (including playoffs), Rosenlund scored four goals and assisted on four others, including UCSB's first goal in the 2-1 win over UCLA in the national final.

Rosenlund left school after the championship and headed to Europe with the hope of catching on with a pro club. He got a tryout with the Swedish team AIK, one of the country's top clubs.

"I thought I did pretty well there, but they have a rule on the number of foreigners a team could have and they already had too many imports," he said.

He wound up playing for a second division team in a small town in Sweden and felt miserable.

"It was a drastic lifestyle change, I thought," said Rosenlund, who grew up just outside of Vancouver. "It was definitely tough over there."

The club's style of play didn't suit his game, either. "There was a lot of long balls. Each team had a big target player up front and two big center backs. As a midfielder, I barely touched the ball. I was wasting my time over there," he said.

He played out his four-month contract and returned to Canada, waiting for the next Major League Soccer season. MLS club Toronto FC signed Rosenlund and he is currently waiting for the league to approve the contract.

In the meantime, Rosenlund got called into the U-23 camp by coach Nick Dascovic, and he has been playing nonstop for nearly two months.

"It got me sharp again," he said.

Rosenlund is receiving balls in the middle of the field and setting up his teammates for quality scoring chances -- just like he did for three years at UCSB.

Rosenlund is confident he'll be among the final 20 players Dascovic selects to play in the qualifier. The former Gaucho said several players in the camp were his teammates on Canada's Under-20 national squad that qualified for the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championships in the Netherlands.

While he admits Canada is a huge underdog to earn one of the two qualifying berths for the Beijing Olympics, Rosenlund thinks the team is capable of pulling off a surprise.

"It's going to be tough," he said. "Normally it's the U.S. and Mexico who qualify. Hopefully, we'll do something and hopefully get there."

Tickets for Friday's match are $10 for adults and $5 for youth under 13. They can be purchased in advance at UCSB (893-UCSB), Aggressive Soccer (963-4919), Xtreme Soccer (604-4707) or Soccer Action USA (685-0055).

e-mail: bpunzal@newspress.com

There is an interview with Ryan Gyaki, only in German

http://www.fc-hansa.de/index.php?id=154&oid=5644

1. Are you surprised that you´re invited?

Not at all, CSA knows me and knows that they can always count on me. I played 20 games in the different national teams they know I´m good, so they invited me and I will go to.

2. The Target

I want to go to Olympia. I want to show my skills. At Rostock I put myselfe to much under pressure that´s why I only played for the Amateurs. But I hope playing a good tournment and can offer for a position with the professional team

3. You had a try out in Austria in winter

Yes, but I had some problems with my injured knee.

4. The road for Canada to Olympia

Schedule 29 of February to 25 of March against Mexico, Guatemala nad Haiti. I hope that the team is good enough to qualify and I want to get more confidence.

5. How does your knee look n ow?

It is a injury sustained 2 years ago. It is treated and I feel better

6. You dated Miss Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Where in the hell do you know this??? But it´s true, we know each other and we went together to the game against Bielefeld

Good translation Frank but you left out the part of question 6 where the interviewer comments, "Your private life is Rostock is going better" (than his football career). (I find the name Miss Mecklenburg-Vorpommern rather hilarious, sure doesn't flow off the tongue) Anyway the extent to which his private life going better than his football career we can see from the following pictures of Miss Mecklenburg-Vorpommern herself:

powerline0099.jpg

Miss_Meck-Vor01.jpg

Unfortunately at the moment this seems to be the only scoring Ryan is doing in Germany!;) And she is only 17!

Keegan Ayre makes News of the World today:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/0903_in_off.shtml

HIBS kid Keegan Ayre could miss up to a month of Berwick's push for Second Division safety.

The 19-year-old defender, on loan at Shielfield, flies out to California this week to play for the Canadian Under-23 side in Olympic qualifiers. Depending on results, he could be away for four weeks.

A press release (that I can't find a link for) on TFC's pre-season friendlies indicates that Nana Attakora-Gyan is returning to the TFC camp, which suggests that he didn't make the final roster.

Given his age (he's young enough for the 2012 Olympic team) that's not a surprise.

Archived