Dasovic names provisional roster

loyola

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by NPE

Is it worth sending some reasonably toned emails to his Club?

Lensky has been non-commital about playing for Canada for years now.

Before we start blaming his club, maybe we should in fact hear that Lensky wants to play for Canada (and judging by recent history, it may mean little anyways).

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

I asked Lensky recently (good 'ole Facebook!). He said he'd like to play but his club hasn't given permission as of yet.

Well it's nice to know he would like to, but the bit about the club not giving permission is the real key. I'm not optimistic they will.

ISTR Gerry Dobson mentioning that Lensky was one of the people they had interviewed when Soccercentral went to Holland & Germany to interview Canadians, so hopefully we will see that soon.

quote:Originally posted by caccamo1

M/F -

I hate to be a pessimist but it's just the way I see it. Should we be worried?

I would answer that by saying that it depends on ones outlook. Specifically what is meant by being worried? If you mean worried that we wont grab one of the two qualifying spots, then I would say yes to your question. There are only two spots available in the region for Olympic qualifying and we would have to go pretty far back to find the last time canada qualified for an olympic tournament. If I am not mistaken, we would have to go way back to 1984 in LA. That was time during the which several counties boycotted the Olympics, the International Olympic committee had serious restrictions on professionals participating to Olympic team sports, and Soccer ( as a result) was not taken all that seriously as an Olympic sport aside from the eastern block.

So success at the qualifying tourny means different things to different people. Namely how you manage your expectation. IMO, finishing third or fourth would be a very good result. Unfortuntately, given a multitide of circumstances, expecting to qualify for the Olmpics would be unrealistic IMO and it would be unfair ( as I am sure some will) to point the finger at the coaching staff or other of the usual sourcess. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible for Canada, but it should be viewed as a pleasant surprise rather than a given. And, beauty of this is, anything is possible.

This weakness with this cycle has been up front. I think that's been apparent for years. This is still a much stronger team than I ever invisioned.

I think with both Johnson and Gyaki playing behind a forward we may be able to generate enough. I'm hoping so anyway.

Does anyone have any thoughts on who to play on the right side of the midfield? All of the names that occured to me as possible aren't there - Peters, D'Agostino, O'Neill, Chernowski.

I still wish we had a real hard-nosed ball-winning defensive mid in this group as well, but I like our back line and our depth, we have some quality in the midfield and if we can find goals, this might be doable.

A week ago I didn't like our chances at all. Now I think we may have a crack.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

This weakness with this cycle has been up front. I think that's been apparent for years. This is still a much stronger team than I ever invisioned.

I think with both Johnson and Gyaki playing behind a forward we may be able to generate enough. I'm hoping so anyway.

Does anyone have any thoughts on who to play on the right side of the midfield? All of the names that occured to me as possible aren't there - Peters, D'Agostino, O'Neill, Chernowski.

I still wish we had a real hard-nosed ball-winning defensive mid in this group as well, but I like our back line and our depth, we have some quality in the midfield and if we can find goals, this might be doable.

A week ago I didn't like our chances at all. Now I think we may have a crack.

cheers,

matthew

Hey Matthew,

I would say that Brandon Bonifacio or Keegan Ayre are potential starter on the right side. I'm pretty sure that's where Brandon is playing with his club. I'm not sure about Jankovik, he could be another option.

My lineup using the Canadian 4-5-1.

----------------Begovic

Hemming-----Edgar------Hainault----Ledgerwood

----------------Borgault

------------Johnson-------Gyaki

Rosenlund--------------------------Lensky

----------------Ornoch

I agree we are going to have trouble scoring goals, but if we get Edgar, Hainault & Ledgerwood, and have Borgault to protect them, we should be able to keep goals out.

Edit: Doesn't look right so Ornoch as lone striker, Rosenlund & Lensky as the wingers, Johnson and Gyaki a la DeGuzman & Hutchinson.

I would LOVE to see Edgar beside Hainault. Great experience and key squad members, most importantly, but also just to help see how the two compare. I am of the thinking that (post U-20) Edgar is a little underrated by many around her, and (post gold cup)Hainaut a little overrated, at latest based on their curent abilities. Arguing about who has the bigger future is an entirely different matter.

That's an interesting point Nolando. When I first saw Hainault I thought he even looked like DeVos. Figured he was the heir apparent. Then Edgar showed up and began his meteoric rise and Hainault fell off in a lot of people's minds - mine included.

Now it's switched a little and is almost back. I think I'd give Hainault the edge because he's a little older and has a more first team action, but it's an interesting debate. And one I don't think we've seen enough to reasonable debate [not that that would stop any of us I'm sure ;)]

Bonafacio on the right eh? Hmmm interesting. Right back is another spot there's a lot of good options.

cheers,

matthew

I'm thinking we're going to run into some issues getting Johnson and Lensky released...

My sort of starting XI:

-----------Wagenaar/Begovic-----------

Hemming---Hainault---Brittner---Ramalho

-----------Edgar----Ledgerwood--------

Bonifacio-------Gyaki-----------Jakovic

---------Ricketts/Ornoch/Lomb.--------

I wouldn't mind seeing Edgar at CB, but if we want to win now we need to shore up the middle of the park. Seeing Edgar in D-mid. for the match against Congo (where he played in 2005 with this group) and thinking of how Chile used Vidal as a ball winner and the difference it made in that game leads me to think we're better served with him there. I also put Ledgerwood at his quasi-usual spot at D-mid. There's no way we lose the battle in the midfield now. Gyaki ahead of them and free to go forward. Ramalho and Hemming are serviceable at FB and Brittner should give us enough at CB in place of Edgar.

The wings and forwards are all over the place, i have no idea who should be here. If Ornoch shows well (and he has been scoring for Esbjerg) then put him in. Ricketts has speed, Lombardo has....something to offer?

Like Edgar in the holding role as well but JBB will likely start there. Gyaki and Johnson taking turns breaking from midfield like in 2005, Rosenlund the playmaker. Would rather see JP and DeJong on the wings again but let's work with what we got. Lombardo and Ricketts come in when we're chasing, JBB and Ayre when we need to tighten up.

Solid squad, should get to the semis.

---------Begovic----

------Edgar----Hainault-

Ledgerwood-JBB----Kennedy

-------Rosenlund--

-Ornoch--Gyaki--Bonifacio

--------Johnson-----

Bench:

Wagenaar

Haber

Ramalho

Ayre

Gyan

Hemming

Nakajima

Lombardo

Ricketts

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I know a lot of people are disapointed with Lombardo but I really like the guy and would like to see him as the striker if we played a 4-5-1.

But he has yet to develop the skills necessary to be an effective target man, he's better playing off someone else. As the "1" in a 4-5-1, don't you need either a big man or someone very speedy?

i think lombardo is a midfielder waiting to happen. he's in our top eleven and should play.

--------Wagenaar

Ramalho Edgar Hainault Hemming

--------Ledgerwood

Lombardo Johnson Gyaki Rosenlund

----------Ornoch

Bonifacio and Ayre should get time as well. I doubt Lensky will be released, if he is even Canadian.

I was thinking:

---------------Begovic

KOA-------Edgar---Hainault------Ledgerwood

----------------JBB

--Bonifacio-----------------Lensky

---------Johnson---Rosenlund

-------------Lombardo

I'm really torn between KOA, PNF and Hemming. I think KOA has a little more going forward, though PNF may surprise me since I've never seen him before. If he has similar qualities to his brother he may have that dimension as well.

I don't particularly like Edgar in the d mid role, but it is tempting. You have to figure we have depth in the middle with Britner the most likely guy.

The nice thing about the difficulty in some of the choices is that we have depth (or maybe we just don't know our XI). Which could pay off in such a short tourney.

I'd give Lombardo a game and then give Rickets the next one. Haber could be an interesting target-man option, but I think Lombardo is the likeliest guy despite his woes.

cheers,

matthew

Archived