Dasovic names provisional roster

loyola

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite being named to the provisional roster I am still not overly optimistic we will see (or more likely read about) Lensky being there. Apart from not knowing if it was a "hopeful" selection by Dasovic, Feynoord was also the team that put pressure on Brad Parker not to play for Canada's national team, never mind the Olympic one.

Despite being named to the provisional roster I am still not overly optimistic we will see (or more likely read about) Lensky being there. Apart from not knowing if it was a "hopeful" selection by Dasovic, Feynoord was also the team that put pressure on Brad Parker not to play for Canada's national team, never mind the Olympic one.

The German teams are typically very cooperative in releasing our players. Says something about their arrogance that the Dutch don't see national team duty quite so important for foreigners on their teams. Bit of a reverse of the stereotype. Freaky deaky Dutch!

The German teams are typically very cooperative in releasing our players. Says something about their arrogance that the Dutch don't see national team duty quite so important for foreigners on their teams. Bit of a reverse of the stereotype. Freaky deaky Dutch!

quote:Originally posted by villus

I don't see many goals coming out of this bunch unfortunately.

With that in mind, I'm even more disappointed not to see Haris Cekic' (Furman University) name on there.

Here's a bit more, for those of you who are not familier with him:

--------

Furman midfielder Haris Cekic has been named first team College Soccer News All-Freshmen and second team Soccer America All-Freshmen, it was announced this week.

The London, Ontario, native tallied 10 goals, including four game-winner, while leading Furman to a 19-4-0 record this season. The SoCon Freshman-of-the-Year and second team All-SoCon pick garnered league player-of-the-month honors for November after guiding Furman to both the SoCon regular season and tournament titles.

Cekic scored in overtime to give Furman a 1-0 victory over UNC Greensboro in the SoCon Finals and propel the Paladins into the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2002. He scored a goal as the 20th-ranked Paladins downed Campbell in the opening round of the tournament before falling to eventual national champion Wake Forest in round two.

---------

There's no way that he's not good enough to at least make that provisional roster. I know he once played for bosnia's u17 team, but he was born and raised in London, so I sure hope that someone from the CSA has contacted him to see if he would be willing to suit up for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by villus

I don't see many goals coming out of this bunch unfortunately.

With that in mind, I'm even more disappointed not to see Haris Cekic' (Furman University) name on there.

Here's a bit more, for those of you who are not familier with him:

--------

Furman midfielder Haris Cekic has been named first team College Soccer News All-Freshmen and second team Soccer America All-Freshmen, it was announced this week.

The London, Ontario, native tallied 10 goals, including four game-winner, while leading Furman to a 19-4-0 record this season. The SoCon Freshman-of-the-Year and second team All-SoCon pick garnered league player-of-the-month honors for November after guiding Furman to both the SoCon regular season and tournament titles.

Cekic scored in overtime to give Furman a 1-0 victory over UNC Greensboro in the SoCon Finals and propel the Paladins into the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2002. He scored a goal as the 20th-ranked Paladins downed Campbell in the opening round of the tournament before falling to eventual national champion Wake Forest in round two.

---------

There's no way that he's not good enough to at least make that provisional roster. I know he once played for bosnia's u17 team, but he was born and raised in London, so I sure hope that someone from the CSA has contacted him to see if he would be willing to suit up for Canada.

Ok, maybe he's good enough but you make a statement like that you need to provide us with the name of the guy(a striker) that would be cut to make place for him.

BTW, looking at Furman schedule and results it's not like they've scheduled a lot of tough opponents...

Well, he's actually an attacking midfielder (who can also play up front), so there's actually a few more roster spots available for him.

I don't claim to know enough about some of the guys on that roster to be stating that he should be replacing anyone on it.

My point is that if your attempting to field a team of your best available players, this is definetely a guy that should be

brought in and taken a look at.

So even if that means bringing in 31 guys , instead of 30, I think that's something that should be done.

I found this article that shows that he played some ol' pigskin Football at Lucas Secondary. It's gotta be him, but his Furman profile says he went to Montcalm.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/DallaCosta/2006/10/13/2016511-sun.html

Profile:

http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/cekic_haris00.html

High School/Club: Standout 2006 season for head coach Martin Painter and AEK London in the Western Ontario Soccer League...named team most valuable player after guiding AEK London to the WOSL Championship and a perfect 18-0-0 record, the first in league history....has trained at the National Soccer Training Center in Canada...member of Bosnian U-17 National Team in 2003...also lettered in basketball and volleyball, earning team MVP honors at Montcalm Secondary School.

Personal: Full name is Haris Cekic...born March 28, 1988 in London, Ontario...son of Ned and Saira Cekic.

So he's still young enough to switch back to Canada. The Bosnia business was when he was 15, so a while ago. I assume he's since trained at the NTC which means he's there to be invited if he's that good. Looks like he's an attacking mid and not a forward, which means 10 goals is pretty damn good.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

BTW, looking at Furman schedule and results it's not like they've scheduled a lot of tough opponents...

They played the National Champions Wake Forest, twice. Only losing to them in the NCAA tourny 1-0.

They also ended the season in the top 25. That's not something that Wisconsin-Green Bay, Syracuse or UAB did. And yet we called up players from those teams to have a look at.

So you'll have to excuse me if I don't see much validity in your arguement there.

quote:Originally posted by Acid-Tone

They played the National Champions Wake Forest, twice. Only losing to them in the NCAA tourny 1-0.

They also ended the season in the top 25. That's not something that Wisconsin-Green Bay, Syracuse or UAB did. And yet we called up players from those teams to have a look at.

So you'll have to excuse me if I don't see much validity in your arguement there.

Talk about boosting your argument. This is Furman regular season schedule (no exhibition and no post season games since those games aren't scheduled):

08/31/07 vs. Saint Joseph's Conway, S.C. W, 6-0

09/02/07 vs. Florida Gulf Coast Conway, S.C. W, 3-0

Diadora/Spinx Furman Invitational

09/07/07 vs. Presbyterian GREENVILLE W, 2-0

09/09/07 vs. Jacksonville GREENVILLE W, 4-1

Wofford/adidas Invitational

09/14/07 vs. Robert Morris Spartanburg, S.C. W, 1-0

09/16/07 vs. UNC Asheville Spartanburg, S.C. W, 5-0

09/21/07 vs. Portland Seattle, Wash. W, 2-0

Husky Classic

09/23/07 at Washington Seattle, Wash. L, 1-0 (OT)

09/29/07 vs. Georgia Southern GREENVILLE W, 4-0

10/03/07 at UNC Greensboro Greensboro, N.C. W, 2-1

10/06/07 at Davidson Davidson, N.C. W, 5-1

10/09/07 vs. Wofford GREENVILLE W, 1-0

10/14/07 at Appalachian State Boone, N.C. W, 1-0

10/17/07 at Clemson Clemson, S.C. L, 2-1

10/20/07 at College of Charleston Mount Pleasant, S.C. W, 2-1

10/27/07 vs. Elon GREENVILLE W, 2-1

11/02/07 vs. Belmont GREENVILLE L, 2-1 (OT)

11/04/07 vs. Lipscomb GREENVILLE W, 3-1

I'm sorry but aside for Washington and maybe Clemson, this wasn't a very tough schedule. Furman is a good program but you have to admit they are playing in a weak conference.

BTW, I want to know who at the forward or midfield position should he replaces? I've never seen him play so I can't judge, I just pointed out that the scheduling wasn't really impressive.

Do you have any informations suggesting he is indeed interested in playing for Canada?

I don't think they can put more than 30 names in the provisionnal roster, CONCACAF or FIFA do impose a certain limit for every tournament.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Now I thought the stereotype was that the Dutch are cheap :D

M/F - Will Johnson - Woodbridge, IL - NED / De Graafschap

M/F - Kyle Hall - Toronto, ON - Syracuse University

F/D - Marcus Haber - Vancouver, BC - NED / FC Groningen

F - Frank Jonke - Pickering, ON - University of Louisville

F - Andrea Lombardo - Toronto, ON - Toronto FC

F - Tosaint Ricketts - Edmonton, AB - University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

We can all agree Canada's main problem is scoring goals. It's been like that for years. First off, I don't find it very comforting when I see Andrea Lombardo's as one of the names responsible for actually putting the ball in the net. Secondly, I wouldn't want to be relying my CB to be scoring and stopping goals. Altough having Haber away from our 18 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world after watching what he did v.Chile and throughout the tournament. And finally, 4 out of the 6 strikers were members of the U20 World Cup 2007 squad. The same squad that failed to score one goal in 270 minutes of football. The other 2 strikers play at the university levels. I hate to be a pessimist but it's just the way I see it. Should we be worried?

quote:Originally posted by caccamo1

M/F - Will Johnson - Woodbridge, IL - NED / De Graafschap

M/F - Kyle Hall - Toronto, ON - Syracuse University

F/D - Marcus Haber - Vancouver, BC - NED / FC Groningen

F - Frank Jonke - Pickering, ON - University of Louisville

F - Andrea Lombardo - Toronto, ON - Toronto FC

F - Tosaint Ricketts - Edmonton, AB - University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

We can all agree Canada's main problem is scoring goals. It's been like that for years. First off, I don't find it very comforting when I see Andrea Lombardo's as one of the names responsible for actually putting the ball in the net. Secondly, I wouldn't want to be relying my CB to be scoring and stopping goals. Altough having Haber away from our 18 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world after watching what he did v.Chile and throughout the tournament. And finally, 4 out of the 6 strikers were members of the U20 World Cup 2007 squad. The same squad that failed to score one goal in 270 minutes of football. The other 2 strikers play at the university levels. I hate to be a pessimist but it's just the way I see it. Should we be worried?

I think it's fair to point our the attack as our main concern but basing this on only 3 games in the U-20 WC is misleading IMO.

First, for the exception of Mexico the level of play should be lower, it's a CONCACAF tournament.

Second, tose guys are young and let's hope some of them have gain some confidence since last summer.

Third, most of the squad was part of the 2005 U-20 that went 3-0 in Honduras during qualifications so let's hope they can repeat this!!!

Fourthly people should remember that the CSA lists Ornoch as a midfielder when he's actually a striker, scoring goals at the top level in Denmark and one would have to figure is scoring more regularly at a higher level than any of the other players mentioned.

Incidentally another name not on the list at the striker position would be Julian Uccello....

From CSA:

Hi

Potential players... all have been approached, though.. final list will be 20 players.

There will be a camp with 20-or-so north american-team players, then 10-or-so European players will be added/arrive, then final cut to 20-player team for the tournament.

And

Full details with information on exhibition matches will be announced over the weekend.

Cheers

Richard Scott

quote:Originally posted by NPE

From CSA:

Hi

Potential players... all have been approached, though.. final list will be 20 players.

There will be a camp with 20-or-so north american-team players, then 10-or-so European players will be added/arrive, then final cut to 20-player team for the tournament.

And

Full details with information on exhibition matches will be announced over the weekend.

Cheers

Richard Scott

So, this mean Lensky has been approached and said yes?

Archived