Dasovic names provisional roster

loyola

Quick question for the masses and I'm not eluding to anything... Should certain players not be released for Olympic qualifications and the team does well and we make the final 2, do we stick with that squad or bring in some of the players ommited and cut some that actually may have had a part in the qualification process when we head out to the olympics. Obviously some tough choices for the coaching staff.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by CDN4EVR

Quick question for the masses and I'm not eluding to anything... Should certain players not be released for Olympic qualifications and the team does well and we make the final 2, do we stick with that squad or bring in some of the players ommited and cut some that actually may have had a part in the qualification process when we head out to the olympics. Obviously some tough choices for the coaching staff.

We bring our top squad to the olympics no matter what.

This could become a tricky question with the Olympics being held between August 8 and 24. I think the first group stage game for WCQ is August 20 or 22.

Should we qualify and we could bring 3 O-23 players according to Olympics rules. We would have a big dilemna about who to bring ( I would call guys that aren't in our top 20 players for WCQ but could help the olympic squad. Also all the U-23's who would be call for the WCQ game should be present with the MNT.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

This could become a tricky question with the Olympics being held between August 8 and 24. I think the first group stage game for WCQ is August 20 or 22.

Should we qualify and we could bring 3 O-23 players according to Olympics rules. We would have a big dilemna about who to bring ( I would call guys that aren't in our top 20 players for WCQ but could help the olympic squad. Also all the U-23's who would be call for the WCQ game should be present with the MNT.

I thought they had abolished that rule and that the olympics was strictly a U23 tournament.Loyola are you sure that this rule is still in effect, as that could definately change things.

I thought they had abolished that rule and that the olympics was strictly a U23 tournament.Loyola are you sure that this rule is still in effect, as that could definately change things.

Answered my own question, sorry. From FIFA website. So it's a U23 for quals. and we get 3 O23 for the main event.

Men’s tournament

2. All players participating in the preliminary and fi nal competition of

the Tournament shall be born on or after 1 January 1985. However, a

maximum of three male players who do not meet this age limit may also

be included in the offi cial list of players for the fi nal competition.

Guest Jeffery S.

Just heard today that the Mexican team has been getting poor results, Hugo Sánchez under fire for that, and that they are not overly confident going into qualifying.

I wonder if Barça will be asked to release Giovanni Dos Santos. I think the theory goes that they should be able to qualify without him, but if things are going poorly for the squad in warm-ups we may see him in the end.

Guest Jeffery S.

Just heard today that the Mexican team has been getting poor results, Hugo Sánchez under fire for that, and that they are not overly confident going into qualifying.

I wonder if Barça will be asked to release Giovanni Dos Santos. I think the theory goes that they should be able to qualify without him, but if things are going poorly for the squad in warm-ups we may see him in the end.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Let's hope the Mexicans keep thinking they can qualify without him. ;)

I doubt Barca will let him go for 2 weeks, he's been coming off the bench regularly for them and they'll need him for the stretch run. He also started last weeks game (his 6th start) before being subbed off for Ronaldinho. Carlos Vela is another kid Mexico might want, but he's a regular for Osasuna so he's not going anywhere. Ditto for Andres Guardado, he's not leaving Depor at this time.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The CSA announced the team will play Westmount College on March 4 and UCSB on March 7.

Westmount did qualify for the NAIA regionals. Considering California's NAIA teams this should be a decent squad, but of course we should be much stronger.

If we're playing on tuesday, should't we be getting an indication of who the first twenty are going to be. I mean the camp should be starting this weekend and the CSA must have some idea of who is going to show, after all they do buy the flight tickets.

quote:Originally posted by ken

If we're playing on tuesday, should't we be getting an indication of who the first twenty are going to be. I mean the camp should be starting this weekend and the CSA must have some idea of who is going to show, after all they do buy the flight tickets.

I wouldn't expect a confirmation of who's attending the pre-camp but we'll likely have a confirmation of our final roster a few days prior to our first game.

Out of players from the provisional roster, I would like to see the following line up to begin qualifying against Mexico on March 12. We seem to be short on forwards so it's a 4-4-2, and I think a more defensive formation is a safe bet against the Mexicans. Of course it might prove difficult to get all our european based players but this is my best case scenario.

-------------Begovic--------------

------------------------------------

---------Britner--Hainault-----------

Ledgerwood-----------Nakajima-Farran

---------Ayre-----Gyaki-------------

Johnson---------------------Lensky

--------Ricketts--------------------

------------------Ornoch-------------

bench:

Frank Jonke

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgeault

Dejan Jakovic

Tyler Hemming

Tyler Rosenlund

Josh Wagenaar

Andrea Lombardo

Andrew will be arriving on the 11th as Sparta only released him after their Monday game. He is also expected to fly back to Prague should there be an issue with their back line while he is in California... Jet lag, what jet lag... NPE, I believe Lensky is arriving today.

Andrew will be arriving on the 11th as Sparta only released him after their Monday game. He is also expected to fly back to Prague should there be an issue with their back line while he is in California... Jet lag, what jet lag... NPE, I believe Lensky is arriving today.

Good to hear that Andrew will be attending but I agree that jet lag will be an issue for him.

Well, if Lensky shows up he'll pretty much be cap tie to us.

Any other informations about european players like Johnson and Begovic?

Again, thanks for your help.

Archived