Dasovic names provisional roster

loyola

Men's Olympic (U-23) Team

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dasovic names provisional roster

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault

Photo: Dale MacMillan

Canada's men's U-23 team announced their provisional roster today for the upcoming CONCACAF Olympic Qualification Tournament in the United States. With just three weeks to go before Canada's tournament begins in Carson, CA against Mexico, coach Nick Dasovic has identified 30 players that are eligible to participate in the eight-team tournament.

"I am looking forward to getting the team together so we can finally start our preparations," says coach Dasovic of the team's road to the Summer Olympics. "The CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying tournament is a difficult one, but I feel confident in the players that we have selected to represent our country. I can't wait to get the tournament started."

Dasovic has up until 10 March to announce his final 20-man roster. He is not bound to the 30-man list, so he will be able to select any available players born 1985 or later. Dasovic will also be able to make changes after 10 March for medical reasons.

Canada's round-robin competition in Carson, CA features México (12 March), Haiti (14 March) and Guatemala (16 March). Should they finish amongst the top-two teams in their group, they will advance to the semi-final on 20 March in Nashville, TN (to be played against a team from the other round-robin group). The semi-final winner will advance to the 26 March final and book their ticket for the Summer Olympics in Beijing.

CANADA

G - Joshua Wagenaar - Grimsby, ON - Unattached

G - Asmir Begovic - Edmonton, AB - ENG / Portsmouth FC

G - Roberto Giacomi - Toronto, ON - Unattached

D - Nana Attakora-Gyan - Orangeville, ON - Toronto FC

D - Matthew Britner - Halifax, NS - Brown University

D - David Edgar - Kitcher, ON - ENG / Newcastle United

D - André Hainault - Hudson, QC - CZE / Sparta Praha

D - Tyler Hemming - London, ON - Toronto FC

D - Diaz Kambere - Surrey, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D - Nikolas Ledgerwood - Lethbridge, AB - GER / TSV 1860 München

D - Paris Nakajima-Farran - Calgary, AB - DEN / Næstved BK

D - Kennedy Owusu-Ansah - Toronto, ON - GER / Hertha Berlin

D - Brad Peetoom - Abbotsford, BC - University of Syracuse

D - Graham Ramalho - Calgary, AB - NED / FC Groningen

D - Alex Suprenant - St-Alexandre, QC - Impact de Montréal

M - Keegan Ayre - Coquitlam, BC - SCO / Berwick Rangers FC

M - Brandon Bonifacio - Vancouver, BC - NED / Cambuur-Leeuwarden

M - Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault - Île Bizard, QC - GER / FC St. Pauli

M - Ryan Gyaki - Calgary, AB - GER / FC Hansa Rostock

M - Dejan Jakovic - Etobicoke, ON - University of Alabama Birmingham

M - Jacob Lensky - Vancouver, BC - NED / Feyenoord Rotterdam

M - Cristian Nunez - Montréal, QC - Impact de Montréal

M - Andrzej Ornoch - Scarborough, ON - DEN / Esbjerg fB

M - Tyler Rosenlund - Port Coquitlam, BC - Unattached

M/F - Will Johnson - Woodbridge, IL - NED / De Graafschap

M/F - Kyle Hall - Toronto, ON - Syracuse University

F/D - Marcus Haber - Vancouver, BC - NED / FC Groningen

F - Frank Jonke - Pickering, ON - University of Louisville

F - Andrea Lombardo - Toronto, ON - Toronto FC

F - Tosaint Ricketts - Edmonton, AB - University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef :#8200;Nick Dasovic - Burnaby, BC

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint :#8200;Tony Fonseca - Vancouver, BC

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint :#8200;Mark Watson - Vancouver, BC

Equipment mgr. & goalkeeper coach / Gérant d’équipements et ent. des gardiens :#8200;Kevin Muldoon - Oakville, ON

Doctor / Docteur :#8200;Dr. Michael Campbell - Abbotsford, BC

National teams administrator / Administrateur des équipes nationales :#8200;Dave Nutt - Ottawa, ON

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note that guy has been included:

M - Jacob Lensky - Vancouver, BC - NED / Feyenoord Rotterdam

Newcomers:

D - Diaz Kambere - Surrey, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D - Alex Suprenant - St-Alexandre, QC - Impact de Montréal

M/F - Kyle Hall - Toronto, ON - Syracuse University

F - Frank Jonke - Pickering, ON - University of Louisville

It's nice to see that we have a pool of 30 players at that level and we're missing a few guys (Jackson, Peters, O'Neil, etc).

Clicking the names of Dasovic and Watson in the CSA website article, leads to a very complete list of the individual accomplishments as a player. However, here they are not players, but coaches, so why not indicate their qualifications and accomplisments as a coach? It has been posted here that playing history does not make a coach and that national duty requires an 'A' license. We already have one coach appointed (women U20) who does not have an 'A' license as reported by one of our posters. Are Dasovic and Watson two more examples??

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Clicking the names of Dasovic and Watson in the CSA website article, leads to a very complete list of the individual accomplishments as a player. However, here they are not players, but coaches, so why not indicate their qualifications and accomplisments as a coach? It has been posted here that playing history does not make a coach and that national duty requires an 'A' license. We already have one coach appointed (women U20) who does not have an 'A' license as reported by one of our posters. Are Dasovic and Watson two more examples??

Can we leave that stuff for another thread please. This is about the U-23 team roster and I would like us to be discussing the team/players instead of the qualifications of the coaches.

I guess Riley O'Neil's club didn't released him. Where's Elliot these days?

I think you can add Ornoch in the striker category.

EDIT: got my answer for Elliot, I guess he's in the same situation as O'Neil. D'Agostino and De Jong are also missing.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Did the CSA open an NTC in Syracuse, NY that I am not aware of? LOL.

Wow, that's a lot of pretty good Canadian talent at one school.

Alim Karim, Gabe Gervais, Richard Assante and Patrice Bernier are also Syracuse alumni.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I guess Riley O'Neil's club didn't released him. Where's Elliot these days?

I think you can add Ornoch in the striker category.

EDIT: got my answer for Elliot, I guess he's in the same situation as O'Neil. D'Agostino and De Jong are also missing.

Not a surprise about those players, particularly De Jong after what his club did to him after he didn't even miss a game. This is a better provisional roster than I was expecting, although we'll have to see in the end which ten players get dropped and how many of the clubs end up not budging after all.

The Lensky selection is very curious - just a hopeful pick or has he actually communicated an intention to play for Canada? Hopefully a member of the media will step up to the plate & get us this kind of info.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

I actually think you can draw a pretty decent 11 from this...obviously its a little frustrating to miss a handful of guys, but don't most national teams miss several guys for u23 qualifying?

It depends on how many of their players are on foreign clubs. FIFA no longer insists that clubs have to give up players for the qualifying tourney.

Naturally we are probably the country that gets most affected by this with only three club teams of our own. IMO De Jong & Peters will be big losses for this tourney, but it could (and still might be worse.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Naturally we are probably the country that gets most affected by this with only three club teams of our own. IMO De Jong & Peters will be big losses for this tourney, but it could (and still might be worse.

In an ideal world, though, De Jong to Ledgerwood and Peters to Lensky aren't huge drops (looking at it optimistically).

I actually think our midfield should have decent offensive pieces, even without Peters, but somewhat suspect defensive abilities.

Other names not mentioned, all Latin American-based:

Carlos Rivas Jr. - He's no longer with La Serena. I checked the rosters of all 1st Div. teams in Chile and he's not on any of them.

Isidro Sanchez - Has dressed, but been an unused sub for 2 out of 6 games for Puebla. Most recently suited up last Wednesday against UNAM, the team held on for a draw and subbed out a striker for a mid late in the game.

Manny Gomez - Argentine season just started, so maybe his 3rd Div club wants him around.

Nice to see that Nunez is now the the Impact. I didn't think Gyaki was still with Hansa Rostock though.

Much to my surprise, Ryan Gyaki is back with Hansa Rostock. Played the other day for their amateurs in a friendly.

Not a surprise about those players, particularly De Jong after what his club did to him after he didn't even miss a game.

I hate to say it, but i think the Dobber gave him the easy excuse and he ran with it. Marcel started losing his grip on a starters spot as far back as Oct 7th and went through a patchy ride up until the 4-2 loss at Ajax on Nov. 4th when he lost his spot for over 2 months. During that 2 month span Roda racked up a 5W-1L-3T record including wins of 5-1 vs. Groningen, 3-2 vs. Vitesse, 4-2 at PSV, 1-0 vs. Heerenveen, 2-1 at Exelsior. IMO they didn't play him because he chose Canada, but because he'd been playing mediocre ball for a month and a half and with him out of the starting lineup they had their hottest streak of the season.

Even if you have problems securing the euro based players I see a decent amount of respectability amongst that group if you were to focus on domestic based talent only.

To me, thats the pleasant surprise and most positive aspect about that group. If you were to assemble this kind of team just two years ago, you would have nobody or maybe a handfull of domestic based talent. The trump card and advantage of having domestic talent is that it makes team building easier. Specifically, there is more familiarity, they have greater flexibility in regards to their schedules ( ie they are mostly in their off season like the US players) to assemble for training and they dont have to travel as as far.

Success hopefully will be based on how well they play and not on whether or not they succeed in qualifying for the Olympics.

Perhaps, but we heard about this out of Holland long before the Dobson interview.

Yeah, someone spoke to Marcels' dad and that was his side of the story. Obviously there's no better source than his dad, but at the same time no more biased source either.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14177

When this was brought up the next time SCF08 believed it to be a tactical change, and the player (Bodor) who had replaced De Jong had really helped the club during their hot tear:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14299

Meh, either way, Marcel is playing again and won't be on the Olympic Team.

Archived