Canadian soccer stadiums for the national team

psveindhoven

MLSE has a swank clause whereby a certain number of national team games have to be played there. There are a number of better options (no field turf and bigger crowds), including Edmonton and Montreal (new stadium can be expanded).

to paraphrase ... "we can get bigger crowds in Montral compared to Toronto if Montreal expands the stadium"

whiskey tango foxtrot. what the f*ck.

i have no problem with games in edmonton. if we have a game that will draw 30 000+ then let's party on west jet all the way to alberta. commonwealth is a massive stadium, and it should be used for the really big games. really, it should have held the u-20 final, but i don't make those decisions ...

on montreal: you're going to have to take my word for it that i love the city. actually, i would adore a trip to montreal from toronto to watch the nats. but to allude that montreal's imaginary expanded stadium is a better choice than bmo is reaching.

2500+ posts ed. you can make a better argument than that. then again, maybe i'm just sick of this board's rampant duming on Toronto just for the sake of dumping on Toronto.

if BMO were in montreal, halifax, quebec city, winnipeg or saskatoon then people would be singing its praises from dawn 'til dusk. but BMO is in toronto, and therefore, it's lacking ...

(edit so that the profanity shows up better)

Go back and then see if Ed's post agrees with your paraphrase. There's some nuance there.

As for Toronto vs Montreal, Montreal wins the surface battle, Toronto has a better overall capacity, but until they show they can make use of it (and stuffing it with opposing fans doesn't count) that one is a toss-up. I fully recognize that the Costa Rica friendly was poorly promoted, and for that reason Toronto deserves every opportunity to prove itself as a supportive host. But Montreal deserves that chance too.

From what I've seen Montreal's SSS looks awesome. BMO is also nice but the players hate the field turf!

Here in Vancouver, there would be no reason (weather wise) not to go with natural grass. Now if we could only break ground...

All-in-all the situation in Canada is about 100x better than even 5 years ago.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Go back and then see if Ed's post agrees with your paraphrase. There's some nuance there.

As for Toronto vs Montreal, Montreal wins the surface battle, Toronto has a better overall capacity, but until they show they can make use of it (and stuffing it with opposing fans doesn't count) that one is a toss-up. I fully recognize that the Costa Rica friendly was poorly promoted, and for that reason Toronto deserves every opportunity to prove itself as a supportive host. But Montreal deserves that chance too.

Toronto has some real ground to make up for that Costa Rica friendly. With the supporters groups chirping about what great supporters they are, they let us down in that game, but do deserve another chance. Given the options that there are out east, I think that all games should be played out there. Montreal fans deserve many national team games. Also, Toronto does deserve an opportunity to attone for the Costa Rica game, which I believe they will do very well. All in all, I see no reason that WCQ games should be played anywhere but Toronto and Montreal. And coming from a Vancouverite, that is saying something. They are more central for all players, and have better facilities in Saputo Stadium, and BMO Field. Edmonton would have to be an honourable mention, but the one benefit of Montreal and Toronto is the realistic expectation of filling those stadiums, which only makes the game better to watch.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Toronto has some real ground to make up for that Costa Rica friendly. With the supporters groups chirping about what great supporters they are, they let us down in that game, but do deserve another chance. Given the options that there are out east, I think that all games should be played out there. Montreal fans deserve many national team games. Also, Toronto does deserve an opportunity to attone for the Costa Rica game, which I believe they will do very well. All in all, I see no reason that WCQ games should be played anywhere but Toronto and Montreal. And coming from a Vancouverite, that is saying something. They are more central for all players, and have better facilities in Saputo Stadium, and BMO Field. Edmonton would have to be an honourable mention, but the one benefit of Montreal and Toronto is the realistic expectation of filling those stadiums, which only makes the game better to watch.

I was in the south end for that game, and I think this was one of the features of the crowd that deserves praise. The Canadian supporters were loud, and we got some good chants going, which is something that was lacking in previous home matches. The big disappointment was the crowd in the rest of BMO, which was either sparse or pro-Costa Rican. If we can find a way to pack the east and west stands with even modest Canadian fans, then the atmosphere at BMO would be similar for Canada to the way it is for TFC games.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Toronto has some real ground to make up for that Costa Rica friendly. With the supporters groups chirping about what great supporters they are, they let us down in that game

Name me one, just one, home game in the past 20 years that had a bigger block of hardcore, pro-Canada support than that sea of black and red that we saw behind the goal in the Costa Rica friendly.

Those were the supporters that were posting, and they showed up in fine voice.

Dumping on the hardcore support that showed up because the fairweather fans didn't is just plain ludicrous.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

I was in the south end for that game, and I think this was one of the features of the crowd that deserves praise. The Canadian supporters were loud, and we got some good chants going, which is something that was lacking in previous home matches. The big disappointment was the crowd in the rest of BMO, which was either sparse or pro-Costa Rican. If we can find a way to pack the east and west stands with even modest Canadian fans, then the atmosphere at BMO would be similar for Canada to the way it is for TFC games.

That's what it seemed like when I watched on TV. I'm not sure what it is that Toronto has to make up for vis-a-vis the CR game. For a weekday game, it seemed like it was pretty well done.

The only knock on BMO is the plastic pitch. I thought that's what Ed was alluding to. For me, the support in Toronto is no worse than it is elsewhere, and in many facets it's better.

Edit: I think people were expecting it to be an exact replica of a TFC game, and that's why it seemed like the support wasn't there.

You guys think Canada vs USA in the hex couldn't draw 40K in Edmonton in 2009? I don't have an issue with games being played in the East, but the players don't like the turf and the capacity is limited to 20K. Edmonton improves as an option the deeper we go.

I don't think that many of our top players have spent much time on turf Mr Tito and at least one has said he hates it.

The electric atmosphere you see at TFC games was not on display that night. What guarantee is there that it will be better in another game? Canada vs Jamaica could be a nice away game for the Reggae Boyz. I would prefer to freeze their nuts off in Edmonton in September.

Ed, I've been told by a 2 NT players that they're not big fans of Edmonton's pitch either. I was told that the pitch at Commonwealth is very hard and bumpy. Nonetheless, Commonwealth deserves at least 1 or 2 WCQ matches in the run up to 2010, IMO. Edmonton in October sounds ideal if you ask me, especially against a Caribbean opponent.

If we make it to the Hex, it would be good for BC, Ontario, Quebec and Alberta to get one match each. The 5th game should go to Newfoundland.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Ed, I've been told by a 2 NT players that they're not big fans of Edmonton's pitch either. I was told that the pitch at Commonwealth is very hard and bumpy. Nonetheless, Commonwealth deserves at least 1 or 2 WCQ matches in the run up to 2010, IMO. Edmonton in October sounds ideal if you ask me, especially against a Caribbean opponent.

If we make it to the Hex, it would be good for BC, Ontario, Quebec and Alberta to get one match each. The 5th game should go to Newfoundland.

With the contract between BMO Field and the CSA as it is, we will see a good number of our important matches in Toronto. But what MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN is for our semi-final round home match against Jamaica to be held in Toronto. I think there is building Canadian support in T.O., but this would still be a virtual home game for the Reggae Boyz. Play that one in Edmonton or Churchill, for all I care.

With the contract between BMO Field and the CSA as it is, we will see a good number of our important matches in Toronto. But what MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN is for our semi-final round home match against Jamaica to be held in Toronto. I think there is building Canadian support in T.O., but this would still be a virtual home game for the Reggae Boyz. Play that one in Edmonton or Churchill, for all I care.

Agree game against Jamaica should be played Newfoundland,BC or Alberta if possible in November :)

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Name me one, just one, home game in the past 20 years that had a bigger block of hardcore, pro-Canada support than that sea of black and red that we saw behind the goal in the Costa Rica friendly.

Those were the supporters that were posting, and they showed up in fine voice.

Dumping on the hardcore support that showed up because the fairweather fans didn't is just plain ludicrous.

I was generalizing, but if you read what I wrote, this is one of the few times I'm giving Toronto the benefit of the doubt. BMO should be hosting our WCQ games, because of the quality of the support that has been shown there(It hurts me to have just said that:()

Or we sell all three games as a package and give TFC season holders priority, then the PA's get a crack, Whitecap and Impact fans etc. and so on. DO NOT sell singles for these games until every avenue has been exhausted to sell package deals to Canadians. I can't think of too many Jamaicans who would want to pay for 3 games to see 1 game. And i can't see too many Mexicans having the foresight to buy tickets in July/August for an Oct. qualifier (and paying for 3 games to see el-Tri).

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Its not the hardcore section that most of us are complaining about its the other two-thirds that looked to be empty on TV.

Sure its pure jelously on my part, but I hate the Toronto excuses for those empty seats. Why is it that a midweek game at 7PM is too early for Toronto fans, but many of those same people who claim that are up in arms when only 30K people show up in Edmonton for a 5:30PM midweek game for a u20 game?

I guess it also bothers me (again jelously) that Toronto got that stadium built with alot of federal money and support from the CSA, where as in Vancouver the Feds don't even seem to be helping with the land swap with the port so the privately funded stadium can get built.

But then again mad props for those fans who did show up, and supported our boys.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75Or we sell all three games as a package and give TFC season holders priority, then the PA's get a crack, Whitecap and Impact fans etc. and so on. DO NOT sell singles for these games until every avenue has been exhausted to sell package deals to Canadians. I can't think of too many Jamaicans who would want to pay for 3 games to see 1 game. And i can't see too many Mexicans having the foresight to buy tickets in July/August for an Oct. qualifier (and paying for 3 games to see el-Tri).

I think this is definitely the only way to go if all games will be in Toronto. Sell it as a three game pack, with season ticket holders to TFC, the Impact, and the Whitecaps getting first pick.

But then in the HEX, maybe spread it out a little more.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

I would also say that when general tickets do go on sale, have a single section for away supports (104, or 127). Label it as such at point of sale, with a big disclaimer saying "fans sitting in the wrong section will be ejected due to public safety" or something.

I agree, and crack down on those scum bag scalpers who apparently bought some of the cheap seats against CR and sold them to a few Tico fans...

Edmonton is an embarrassing choice.

Hello Trinidad and Tobago. Why not just kick our players in the nuts before going out.

Hello the U-20 matches. The stadium was empty and did nothing to boost Canadas image. Canadian play did nothing inspirational, but neither did the cavernous empty stadium.

Sorry, but Edmonton had it run and it failed in my eyes. Until Edmonton is hungry for it and proves it can at least fill half the stadium without putting an opposing band on the field, I don't think it is the best place. Montreal or Vancouver is an option, but BMO is the national stadium and should stay that way. It has great sight lines and can provide an excellent atmosphere better than I have seen elsewhere in Canada.

The Costa Rica match was not marketed properly and there was little to none television coverage. The tickets were overpriced for the average fan and the Costa Ricans were given preferential seating in the midfield.

With that said, the south end from 112-115 was very good, from 116 onwards it was the sit down parade. If they were more intelligent with marketing and ticket pricing I think that things would improve. There could be more supporters in the south end instead of mixing families with supporters. Move the familes to the 200's or west stands, pack the south end with students, supporters and sports fans.

Also, it was a horrible wet night, which also should be taken into account.

quote:Originally posted by Number6

Also, it was a horrible wet night, which also should be taken into account.

No it shouldn't. I was outside all day that day and don't recall a drop of rain at any point, let alone during the game. Sure it was cloudy but no actual rain. If you're looking for an example of horrible, wet conditions for a soccer match then look no further than the congo game in edmonton in u-20s. 0 degrees and pouring rain in july. Now that was an experience. As for the CR match, there are a lot of reasons why the crowd was what it was, which have all been discussed to death in previous threads, but weather was not one of them.

Archived