R - US & Brazil

CoachRich

Shocking loss will haunt U.S.

HANGZHOU, China -- It certainly was a nightmare night for the U.S. women's national team.

Not only were the USA denied in their quest for a third world championship, they were embarrassed by Brazil en route to a 4-0 loss in the FIFA Women's World Cup semifinals. It was the worst defeat in the team's proud and amazing 22-year history.

So what wrong?

mlsnet

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:

That has to be the weakest US team in terms of skill that I have seen in the last 10 years.

I watched all their games, and Wambach physically carried them there. I'll never forget the winning goal against England... don't think I've ever seen anyone attack a cross like that without any regard for personal safety. They didn't get her the ball, and when they did, the Germans came in numbers and size. The rest of the team couldn't elevate to compensate.

She too really impressed me with some very classy comments, and I have a whole new opinion of why she's as great as she is.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Scurry did not look good out there, the second goal was basically a keeper error IMO.

You mean that deflected shot that went to the low corner of the goal?? hmm...

But this match had blowout written all over it no matter who was in goal. Brasil hit the post at least twice while the Brasilian keeper wasn't even tested once! 'nuff said!

IT's funny how the US men's team was supposed to be world beaters by now but it is their women's team who were world beaters, but now teams have caught up with them (while the men's team continues to get schooled).

Fifty years from now, the the USWNT will be the Uruguay of women's football! :D

I think the quote of the week is from Hope Solo.

"It was the wrong decision, and I think anybody that knows anything about the game knows that," Solo said after the game. "There's no doubt in my mind I would have made those saves. ... You have to live in the present. And you can't live by big names. You can't live in the past."

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

You mean that deflected shot that went to the low corner of the goal?? hmm...

On the short side, at a speed that a more agile & taller keeper (ie. Hope Solo) would have likely kept out, yes.

I think mistake on the first goal shows a lack of confidence by the team in the keeper as well.

They would likely still have lost, but their chances of pulling off a victory were greatly diminished by that coaching decision.

quote:Originally posted by Jon Que

"It was the wrong decision, and I think anybody that knows anything about the game knows that," Solo said after the game. "There's no doubt in my mind I would have made those saves. ... You have to live in the present. And you can't live by big names. You can't live in the past."

With you there. It was great to hear that from her. I can't see how the coach will pick her again, but she is bang on. The keeper they put in was awful. Totally awful. On the first goal she had her hands up in the air, she is supposed to be in charge, she was not. The second goal was a goal that should not have gone in as well. Now who knows what happens if the game is close deep into the first half? Maybe the US get some pressure, maybe the red card is not taken out. Who knows, but it would not have been a 4-0 loss we all know that!

I am OK with criticism of Scurry but how in Christ was she supposed to do anything on the first goal, hands in air or whatever? Her own player placed a beauty diving header low left side, off a Brazil corner, before the ball even reached the keeper????

Get real, the corner kick was driven into the area. Even if Scurry yelled for the ball the player would not have had time to react. This site is terrible for people always second guessing coaches and players. You might think that if they understood soccer that well they would be coaching at a high level. Coaches will always have their critics but the US could have played Brazil with two keepers and the result would have been the same.

She did yeld (she said it in a post game interview)......but she did it too late.

Decision making/communication is one of the most important aspect of keeping. She looked indecisive on it and by calling it late might have had a bad effect on her defender.

It's not her fault 100% but she made a mistake on it that's for sure. Defending a badly taken CK like this one should be easy, but bad communications caused the goal.

Everyone is so focused on Ryan and Scurry they can't see the forest for the trees. Let's be real and put the blame where it should be - straight on Leslie Osborne's beautiful head. She makes about as complete an error in judgement as you can make, and isn't even looking at the ball when she heads it. She just freaks out. She completely loses her focus and the moment, which is completely inexcusable at this level of play, yet not one single person anywhere seems to see her at all accountable.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Everyone is so focused on Ryan and Scurry they can't see the forest for the trees. Let's be real and put the blame where it should be - straight on Leslie Osborne's beautiful head. She makes about as complete an error in judgement as you can make, and isn't even looking at the ball when she heads it. She just freaks out. She completely loses her focus and the moment, which is completely inexcusable at this level of play, yet not one single person anywhere seems to see her at all accountable.

First, the defense is badly place to defend a CK. One player should be standing 3-4 meters away from near post to clear those balls. That's either, the coach's fault, Scurry or the player that was suppose to be there and wasn't fault.

Second, it's tough to blame the defender when she has to go for it because her keeper is indecisive about it. That's why an "away" or a "keeper" call should be send by the keeper as quickly as possible. And looking at the replay, you ear it at the last second.

Osborne was 3-4 metres from the post, Chalupny was on the post, Lilly was on the back post, and Wambach and Markgraf were in the heart of the six.

Osborne had two choices, head it into orbit or leave it. She did neither. You can blame that on Scurry all you like, but even if the call was late, Osborne should have headed it into orbit and then had a word with her keeper. The moment you lose your focus you're guilty.

quote:Originally posted by Jon Que

Beautiful, I love this woman.

I doubt I'll change your mind, and that's fine. Soccer's full of gray area, and this is just another one. Whenever a ball goes in the net, or a team loses, the entire team is accountable.

My point was simply it's interesting no one finds the player who hit the ball into the net with the top of her head while looking at the ground at all responsible.

Osbourne was in the middle of the box, I'm talking about standing 3-4 meters away from the post (between the CK and the first post). That's where you should always have a player to deal with low CK.

Communications cause this mess, this wasn't an easy ball to deal with for someone coming from her position (a lot easier for a forward to put it on the net...).

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jon Que

Beautiful, I love this woman.

I'm the biggest Hope Solo fan in the country and have been for a long time. But in this case, she's the one living in the past. The present say's you weren't good enough to hold your spot, and it's time to shut up and train harder. Although she just made that about 10 times harder on herself. And I hope she has the perseverence to that, because there are a ton of great goalies in the US youth system.

Interesting comments from ESPN's Jemele Hill:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070928

"The first red flag was that Solo immediately pointed out she "would have made those saves." Translation: It's all about me."

"But that still doesn't give Solo the right to take the low road. She ran over Scurry like a two-ton semi. And Scurry has done a lot more for the U.S. team than Solo has.

Scurry has two gold medals and a World Cup championship. And she did not appoint herself the starting goalie against Brazil -- Ryan did."

"I must say, I can't help but wonder if we would view Solo's postgame tirade differently if she were a man. Or if she were less attractive. If a male athlete said what Solo said -- no matter if it were true or not -- I doubt so many people would be so understanding."

quote:

Osbourne was in the middle of the box, I'm talking about standing 3-4 meters away from the post (between the CK and the first post). That's where you should always have a player to deal with low CK.

Osborne was actually 4 meters in front of the post when it was struck. But now I see what you meant, didn't realize you meant towards the flag.

Interesting thing is... go to the start of the link below. The US player (could be Osborne) goes to the edge of the 18 to block the low penetrating corner (the most underrated set piece there is), and backs off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3UOjoOe80I

Osborne was actually 4 meters in front of the post when it was struck. But now I see what you meant, didn't realize you meant towards the flag.

Interesting thing is... go to the start of the link below. The US player (could be Osborne) goes to the edge of the 18 to block the low penetrating corner (the most underrated set piece there is), and backs off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3UOjoOe80I

I assure you, no one is at the 4 meters spot I,m talking about when the CK is struck (your link isn't showing it). I saw the US player back peddling from the corner flag but it takes a while before the kick is taken and that player is now at the level of the post.

If a player would've been there, we wouldn't be talking about it. Keeper's fault IMO, she has 2 posts and that spot to take care about and it's not like the CK was quickly taken.

Did anyone time the flight of the ball into the box. Both Scurry and Osborne would only have time to react and move towards the ball and since Osborne was in front of Scurry she got there first. If Scurry yelled immediately there still would not have been time for Osborne to react and get out of the way. Next you'll be telling me that the Norwegian player should have done better with Prinz' cross.

As to positioning on corners outside of playing on the posts you still have to mark the offensive players in the area. Perhaps someone ten yds from the corner might have helped, but that is usually used when there are two players at the flag. Soccer is not like the NFL (or CFL) you can't send plays in from the sideline. Once the game begins it's pretty much up to the players on the field.

The ball has just come off her foot. Osborne is 4 metres level from the post at the SPORTV logo:

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs119&d=07396&f=ck.JPG

The head coach and goalkeeper coach determine the defensive positioning on set pieces. That could mean Scurry didn't follow their instruction, or it could mean in that situation they prefer a different arrangement. We'll never know...

Interesting comments from ESPN's Jemele Hill:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070928

"The first red flag was that Solo immediately pointed out she "would have made those saves." Translation: It's all about me."

"But that still doesn't give Solo the right to take the low road. She ran over Scurry like a two-ton semi. And Scurry has done a lot more for the U.S. team than Solo has.

Scurry has two gold medals and a World Cup championship. And she did not appoint herself the starting goalie against Brazil -- Ryan did."

"I must say, I can't help but wonder if we would view Solo's postgame tirade differently if she were a man. Or if she were less attractive. If a male athlete said what Solo said -- no matter if it were true or not -- I doubt so many people would be so understanding."

Rubbish.

We'd all be saying she as a player said aloud what everyone in the press box and the grand stand was also saying aloud.

As stupid a move as ever was made in a WC semi final? If not, then pretty damn close.

Hey! I got a great idea. Lets put a fresh keeper in who hasn't played for 3 months against the best attacking team in the world.

On a hunch!

Riiiight....

Any Yank player (or journalist) who isn't barking, raving, mad about that is just being polite out of respect for Scurry's years of service. That or dumber than a bag of hammers.

And then to write that Solo gets some sort of free ride for saying what she did because she's a handsome lass is just the typical ugly girl argument usually made when the ugly girl runs out of legitimate arguments.

Hope Solo spoke up. She got more balls than a lot of men. Not exactly attractive were I come from.

Archived