R - US & Brazil

CoachRich

Ryan has to make a decision that will define his program down the road. And I get the feeling he's man enough to make it. Should be interesting to see.

Mia Hamm played great in nets against Denmark, and Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault did great for the U20 men this Summer when Begovic flipped his noodle. I'd love to see Ryan start Nicole Barnhart, see her get injured early, and then see Ryan bypass both and put Wambach in nets.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Ryan is between a rock and a hard place when it comes to selecting a starting keeper for the 3rd place game. In his shoes I'd go with my third string keeper i.e. neither Scurry nor Solo. He doesn't have much to lose frankly since the defeat by Brazil was the worst suffered by the US WNT in its 21 year history - how much lower can they go? But I have been known to be wrong in such matters :-)

quote:Originally posted by Vic

The ball has just come off her foot. Osborne is 4 metres level from the post at the SPORTV logo:

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs119&d=07396&f=ck.JPG

No, I meant 4 meters away from the goal and maybe 3-4 meters away from the goal line too.

Nevermind, that wasn't good team defense and the GK has some blame to share on it and we're coming back to that stupid decision by the coach of switching keeper at this point in a tournament.

I'm fine with sharing the blame on it. And I really hope the US camp isn't as divided on it as we are, but I presume they probably are. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, and I would love to know the coaching strategy they will use to try and overcome it.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Does anyone really, really believe that the US would have won the game with Solo in net?

It might have change the dynamic of the game. Maybe avoid that first goal and second goal. You never know, the USA could've also lost 8-0 with Solo in goal

Solo and Scurry are two different type of keeper, so yes I think Solo could've made the difference because Scurry has some blame to share on the first 2 goals.

I don't like the fact that Solo made those comments when she did, but she said exactly what she was feeling (all game long). She looked so pissed coming off the field you could tell she was going to blow. I don't know, I like the fact that she feels (quite strongly) that she could of made all those saves if she was in there. You want that in your keeper. If I was a US team member that is exactly what I would want to hear, because next time the US plays Brazil (Olympics 08) they can think that this time we have Solo back there. I bet you some of the U.S. players are already thinking that way.

I think if Ryan was shrewd he would start Solo in the Norway game. If she loses then Ryan can show people that she's not unbeatable. If she wins (and you know she will be super motivated) then the US at least gets the bronze. But she probably has to be punished for breaking the code.

Must read related to Solo's comments. Puts everything in context.

CBCsports

And no, I think the USA wasn't advancing to the final no matter who was in goal. Doesn't mean that I don't think Ryan "submarined" their (that is the teams) slim chances with that roster change, not to mention spitting in Solo's face at the same time.

I think people are getting on Solo not so much for saying what she did but for how she said it. Had she only torn a strip off Ryan I doubt anyone would have been too upset. It's her bad-mouthing Scurry (intentionally, directly or otherwise) which has upset some people.

She's toast...

Goalkeeper Hope Solo will not be in the starting lineup when the United States takes on Norway Sunday in the bronze medal game of the FIFA Women's World Cup in China (CBC, 4:45 a.m. ET).

In fact, Hope won't even be sitting on the bench, as American coach Greg Ryan said the goalkeeper will not be allowed to attend the game with the rest of her teammates.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/fifawomens/story/2007/09/29/hope-solo.html

I dunno.

Ryan is penalizing Solo because she stated the obvious and stated her confidence in her own abilities. Politically, sure, he has no choice.

She voiced the lack of confidence in the coach that the other players won't speak in front of open mics. I expect they will express that dissent during the consolation game now, one way or another.

Ryan should be fired for choking in this tournament, for mishandling the team's response, and for making his side look like poor losers, even though they have otherwise presented themselves as one of the best "fair play" squads in the tournament. This stuff is all self-inflicted nonsense stirred up by the coach.

It is going to take a real leader amongst this team to reset expectations and that may mean taking the lead out of the hands of the coach by simply asserting a pride in the squad by playing and leading by example.

But even this can be undermined by a coach who swings a heavy axe or makes poor decisions under pressure. Mind, he is probably demoralized as well, not just by the loss but also by the way the team responded to his poor decision. He said he would live with that decision, which is not his choice but simply the fact, but the rest of the team, including Scurry and Hope, will also be haunted by the aftermath of that decision, obviously. A great coach would try to lighten that burden on his players. Ryan does not seem inclined to do so.

It is not like this is only team in a big tournament to go through stuff like this. But this time it is almost entirely due to a coach's naive miscalculation. The rest is response and reaction. And Ryan hasn't fared well on that score, either.

Not surprised at the decision, but didn't expect keeping her off the bench. Have to agree after seeing her sulk last time. It wouldn't help the team to have that again. Really curious how she reacts to this. Her maturity is about to get the biggest test of her life.

from myspace...

2007 worldcup

To all my old fans, to all my new fans, and to those who find me disgraceful,

I have felt compelled to clear the air regarding many of my postgame comments on Thursday night. I am not proud or happy the way things have come out. Although I stand strong in everything I said, the true disheartening moment for me was realizing it could look as though I was taking a direct shot at my own teamate. I would never throw such a low blow. Never. Many of this goes way beyond anyone's understanding, and is simply hard to justify. In my eyes there is no justification to put down a teamate. That is not what i was doing. I am confidant in knowing that i would have made a major difference on the field. I have to believe that. I have to believe that I should have been on the field or why am I a professional trying to be the very best? I also have agreed to disagree with our head coach and I stand firm in my beliefs that it was the wrong decision. However, to put down a teamate was never, ever my intent. I only wanted to speak of my own abilities yet also recognize that the past is the past. Things were taken out of context, or analyzed differently from my true meaning of my own words. for that I am sorry. I hope everybody will come to know I have a deep respect for this team and for Bri. For all of whom I disappointed I am truly sorry. There is a fine line of being a professional and being yourself. I can only do what I feel is right, and then hope that my true meaning is understood. I have an uphill battle now, and I have already suffered many consequences. For those who have been in my corner, your support means more than you'll ever know. I cannot thank you all enough. Truly there are too many to respond back to. I feel very fortunate to have the many different people from all different ages, countries, and personalities, standing behind me. It is extremely humbling. I only wish I could tell you all individually. For those who despise me, well, I can only hope that in due time you can find the understanding needed to forgive me.

all the best,

Hope

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Must read related to Solo's comments. Puts everything in context.

CBCsports

Wow. Totally ridiculous conduct from the USSF & the US Women's team. I had been wondering why the only clips of Solo criticizing the coach's decision was from CBC, this explains why. Not a fan of national association's trying to put the muzzle on player's speaking to the media, particularly after a team has played & has been eliminated (3rd place game's not withstanding).

I think the reason that the only clips of Solo criticizing her coach was because CBC were the only media that got it on tape. I understand that the "loaned" the tape to ESPN. Solo's punishment was probably meant to be a message to other players and it appears to have the support of the "older" players on the team since Ryan evidently met with senior players> I would also bet that the "punishment" was discussed at higher levels within USSF.

One for the road on Hope Solo. Doesn't escuse her actions, but perhaps lends some insight:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/28/hope-solo-on-her-homeless-father/

And after watching that, I noticed something in this photo from their first Korea game that really stood out (don't miss the gloves):

http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/teams/team=1882884/photolist.html#592887

quote:Originally posted by Vic

One for the road on Hope Solo. Doesn't escuse her actions, but perhaps lends some insight:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/28/hope-solo-on-her-homeless-father/

And after watching that, I noticed something in this photo from their first Korea game that really stood out (don't miss the gloves):

http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/teams/team=1882884/photolist.html#592887

Wow!! Hope Solo is the real thing.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Solo and Scurry are two different type of keeper, so yes I think Solo could've made the difference because Scurry has some blame to share on the first 2 goals.

Well if it was the difference, it was the mental impact that made the difference. There is no-way anything Scurry did or didn't do on the field made much difference.

Sometimes 3 minutes would go by where the USA barely even touched the ball or crossed mid-field. Even when it was 11 v 11. This was a one-sided affair which had only one possible outcome.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well if it was the difference, it was the mental impact that made the difference. There is no-way anything Scurry did or didn't do on the field made much difference.

Sometimes 3 minutes would go by where the USA barely even touched the ball or crossed mid-field. Even when it was 11 v 11. This was a one-sided affair which had only one possible outcome.

Don't you think that avoiding the first goal would've had a mental impact on the team?

I agree, they were badly outclassed but with a more favorable scoreline at the half, they might've been able to rebound and play better in the second half. Who knows, it's not like Brazil are so far ahead of the USA at the women level...

Of course having a decent coach might've helped the US on that day.

Don't you think that avoiding the first goal would've had a mental impact on the team?

I agree, they were badly outclassed but with a more favorable scoreline at the half, they might've been able to rebound and play better in the second half. Who knows, it's not like Brazil are so far ahead of the USA at the women level...

Of course having a decent coach might've helped the US on that day.

I don't put the blame on Scurry for that first goal. If she had any affect, it was a mental affect (defenders felt less secure with her back there and perhaps tried to do too much).

Let's not forget that Brasil was better than the USA throughout the tournament.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I don't put the blame on Scurry for that first goal. If she had any affect, it was a mental affect (defenders felt less secure with her back there and perhaps tried to do too much).

Everytime a corner is taken a keeper must call either "keeper" if he goes for it or "away" if he stays on his line. Scurry admitted calling for it (you can hear it live or see it on the replay) but it was too late, Osbourne already in motion to play the ball.

A quicker call by Scurry would've definetly helped her defenders dealing or not with that ball. Her indecision didn't help ont hat play and she must share a part of the blame with Osbourne.

BTW, look at Scurry on that play, how can she call "keeper" and not charging the ball? As a keeper you don't wait for that kind of ball to reach you, you get there as quick as possible.

In the end, it's not even a question of blaming Scurry, it's a question of knowing how Solo would've dealt with that ball and after seeing her play a few times, I think it would've been an easy pick up for her.

Everytime a corner is taken a keeper must call either "keeper" if he goes for it or "away" if he stays on his line. Scurry admitted calling for it (you can hear it live or see it on the replay) but it was too late, Osbourne already in motion to play the ball.

A quicker call by Scurry would've definetly helped her defenders dealing or not with that ball. Her indecision didn't help ont hat play and she must share a part of the blame with Osbourne.

BTW, look at Scurry on that play, how can she call "keeper" and not charging the ball? As a keeper you don't wait for that kind of ball to reach you, you get there as quick as possible.

In the end, it's not even a question of blaming Scurry, it's a question of knowing how Solo would've dealt with that ball and after seeing her play a few times, I think it would've been an easy pick up for her.

In any event, Brasil is the better team.

Goalkeeping was a much bigger factor in the result of the final than it was in that blowout semifinal game.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

But Germany are the champions.

Yes, you have to get a shot on goal to have a chance at winning. That's why the USA didn't have a chance no matter who was guarding their nets. And even though Germany was thouroughly outplayed too, they did enough to expose Brasil's flaw -- their goalkeeping.

Archived