Can vs Guatamal Predictions?

Derosario23

Let's face it without Friend we are left with Gerba and Hume up front. Unless maybe Hutch can turn into a striker like he did for his club in denmark.Does anyone know if Ruiz is suspended? Either way our back four is shaky without mckenna and kluk. Unfortunately I get the feeling that we will fall short in this one I will have to say.

Guatamala 1 Canada 0 What do you guys say?

Obviously I hop i'm wrong but thats my gut instinct

You're off your nut.

I think Friend is a huge loss. For a man who hasn't netted anything yet I think his contributions have far exceeded his stat-sheet output. But,,,

I think Saturdays match will be decided game, set and match in the midfield. The Guat's are in for a very long afternoon and they won't have the heat to hide behind.

If Hart is smart he'll put the greyhounds (ie Hume and Issey) up front and use them to push the Guat line back. Make the field bigger in the Guat end and let Hutch, The Guz and D-Roe bring their kicking boots out.

If Ruiz is in-fact suspended 2-nil Canada. If he's not, a very flattering goal line for the Guats, Canada-2 Guatamala-1.

Guest speedmonk42

I agree with Cheeta.

I don't like to make predictions, but I feel the team has had time together and are acclimatized.

This kills the Guats prep time and usual climate advantages.

What about the fact that canada are already looking past guatemala towards USA lets face it we got beat flat out against an underclassed team. Regardless of suttons bad goal. We should of put in the equalizer! Hart will not read our posts so whos to say he won't play with 1 striker up front. Ruiz has screwed us over before. I hope he is there so that if we can beat them with Ruiz it would be a good test cause Donovan and company are on their way!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

You're off your nut.

I think Friend is a huge loss. For a man who hasn't netted anything yet I think his contributions have far exceeded his stat-sheet output. But,,,

I think Saturdays match will be decided game, set and match in the midfield. The Guat's are in for a very long afternoon and they won't have the heat to hide behind.

If Hart is smart he'll put the greyhounds (ie Hume and Issey) up front and use them to push the Guat line back. Make the field bigger in the Guat end and let Hutch, The Guz and D-Roe bring their kicking boots out.

If Ruiz is in-fact suspended 2-nil Canada. If he's not, a very flattering goal line for the Guats, Canada-2 Guatamala-1.

If, as has been stated, Canada is looking past Guatemala, then I hope we do lose as they will have learned nothing and are not worthy of even a fluke victory. Hopefully this is just disinformation meant to make Guatemala think we are taking them lightly.

Why they would take them lightly after they handed us our asses in Vancouver, I don't know (I was at that game and it was, for the most part, brutal). Also, the return game in Guatemala meant nothing as Guatemala had already qualified for the hex.

Prediction: the vagaries of penalties after a tight 0-0 game.

2-1 Canada. I don't expect a walk in the park from the Guate midfield or defence, they'll play tough and foul hard. I do think they might get clumsy and/or angry at the wrong time and cost themselves before Canada loses their cool. There'll be some mistakes and some nice goals.

Can anybody confirm that the Ruiz suspension thing was unfounded? I checked the match report from their last game and even spent some time searching google in spanish for something, to no avail.

For the record, the match report says:

GUA: 1-Ricardo Trigueño - 2-Leonel Noriega, 3-Pablo Melgar, 5-Henry Medina, 6-Gustavo Cabrera-C, 8-Jose Contreras, 11-Marvin Avila, 12-Carlos Figueroa (53: 19-Mario Rodrú„uez), 13- Nestor Martinez, 18-Carlos Quiñónez, 20-Carlos Ruiz (90: 23-Hernan Sandoval).

Booked: Noriega 45E

Thus, no mention of even a yellow for Ruiz. Why would anyone think that he is suspended?

This is a big factor, fellas. (I was in Vancouver, too) Although we arguably have more talented players, we don't have anyone with the same singular impact on our team - I do of course hope he's out but would also appreciate if this rumour is just someone's idea of a practical joke. With or without Ruiz we need to take Guatemala very seriously as our past has proven very clearly.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by nolando

Can anybody confirm that the Ruiz suspension thing was unfounded? I checked the match report from their last game and even spent some time searching google in spanish for something, to no avail.

For the record, the match report says:

GUA: 1-Ricardo Trigueño - 2-Leonel Noriega, 3-Pablo Melgar, 5-Henry Medina, 6-Gustavo Cabrera-C, 8-Jose Contreras, 11-Marvin Avila, 12-Carlos Figueroa (53: 19-Mario Rodrú„uez), 13- Nestor Martinez, 18-Carlos Quiñónez, 20-Carlos Ruiz (90: 23-Hernan Sandoval).

Booked: Noriega 45E

Thus, no mention of even a yellow for Ruiz. Why would anyone think that he is suspended?

This is a big factor, fellas. (I was in Vancouver, too) Although we arguably have more talented players, we don't have anyone with the same singular impact on our team - I do of course hope he's out but would also appreciate if this rumour is just someone's idea of a practical joke. With or without Ruiz we need to take Guatemala very seriously as our past has proven very clearly.

The interview with Hainault from the Journal de Montreal mentioned it as a "possible suspension" - but I haven't seen reference to it anywhere either.

The Duze on the upcoming game:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=543ee00c-0e8c-49ff-b5e8-b1ee5265d1f0

"Guatemala meanwhile has also enjoyed a good tournament. It finished second in Group B to the host United States, which was the only team to beat them, and that by a narrow 1-0 score. Guatemala is led by renowned goalscorer Carlos Ruiz, who could indeed be described as prolific. Ruiz has been one of the star performers in MLS in recent years, and plays for F.C. Dallas."

How can Friend be a serious loss if he has not scored a single goal. If we were to lose DeRo, that certainly can be classed as a serious loss. Hume has not scored either, but he has not played more than 10 minutes so at least there is hope that he will given an equal time as Friend has gotten. Ruiz will probably score and cause us to get a few yellows in our effort to stop him. The key to the game is for us to score more goals than Guatemala (duh), not an easy task. We will need the refs help with a couple of PK for us.

Guest Can. in UK

Guatemala 2 - Canada 1

Friend is a big loss, even if he hasn't scored. When he played, he held the ball up well - creating chances for our midfielders. I think he was the major factor in our 2 victories.

If we're going to win, I think we'll need to change tactics (maybe 2 strikers?). Gerba just isn't the same kind of player as Friend, so IMO it's not a straight swap.

I think Ruiz is going to have a field day with our central defenders.

Hey we were supposed to choke against Haiti, as well as finishing 3rd in

our group. We're good as underdogs, so whatever ...

Canada 2, Guatemala 0

I know there were reports of overconfidence, but with Onstad, Stalteri, De Rosario,

and Hutchinson ... I think they still remember the results from last WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

It's a play on the DoyleG "Portugal 5-0" prediction :P.

I stopped doing real predictions, because it's quite useless.

BTW, in the Guadeloupe game thread Juby made the following prediction:

Hopefully our boys will be taking it very seriously as a means of guareenting second round so the haiti game can have less pressure. I'm saying 5-0

inexperienced poster costed us the game........;)

Archived