These Announcers are Brutal

Well I am watching the match on Tape Delay and all I can say is that I am gonna turn the mute on, Those American Play By Play guys are Brutal!

Sportsnet should have flown Gene Principe from Edmonton to call the Match with Dick Howard instead of those dickwads...sheesh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've seen local cable access coverage of high school volleyball with better announcers.

you dont have to say 'canadian mens national team' every time...'canada' will suffice...we are all aware that the women arent playing tonight.

steve nash 5 times...even after he corrected himself once.

we must be used to seeing stalteri crack shots for goal like that in the premiership...yeah right.

they actually made it fun to watch because they were so brutal...every name pronounced with a spanish accent no matter where the player was from.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Sounds like Iron Chef over dub.Instead of referring to Canada as simply the Canadians they are constantly reffered to as Canada's Mens National Team.It's really funny.

Holy crap, that's too funny that we were saying the same thing. Definately reminded me of the Iron Chef. All we needed was a Hiy!

quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

Well I am watching the match on Tape Delay and all I can say is that I am gonna turn the mute on, Those American Play By Play guys are Brutal!

Sportsnet should have flown Gene Principe from Edmonton to call the Match with Dick Howard instead of those dickwads...sheesh

Those guys did not belong to Sportsnet. I believe they are the generic announcers provided by the host broadcasters. They did the Haiti-Guadeloupe match on GolTV as well.

I DISAGREE 100%!!!! These were not Canadian announcers so they will make a few errors but I think the horrible announcers are Dobson and Forrest. Even Vic Rauter is better than Dobson. They offer absolutely nothing when it comes to giving insight about the game. They just state the obvious for 90 minutes. Absolutely sickening for Canadian they should do more. These guys made some big mistakes but if they were to announce as many games as Dobson and Forrest, they would be million times better.

I think the commentary was from GolTV. It was standard for them. But they are essentially a low-budget channel so I'm okay with it. People who don't have GolTV may not recognize this.

On the other hand, Sportsnet (Rogers) have tons of money. Their problems (eg) are inexcusable. See the other threads.

Sounds like Iron Chef over dub.Instead of referring to Canada as simply the Canadians they are constantly reffered to as Canada's Mens National Team.It's really funny.

Yeah, sounded funny, but to me it was no worse (maybe even better) than the "Team Canada" (making it sound like we're watching an U10 house league game — "Team Red" vs. "Team Blue" sort of thing) that all Canadian sports announcers insist on using.

And usually it was at the end of an incredibly insightful comment such as "That was a great play by the Canadian Men's National Team".

My girlfriend and I cheered when they once shortened it to "Canada's National Team" but my hopes of them calling us simply "Canada" were not fulfilled. :D

Found that both funny and annoying. I laughed every time he said "Wholian De Guzman".

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

At the 20 minute mark I was going to hit mute and put some music on. It was just too funny so I left the commentary on.

NO ****, EH?

Hell, I actually turned-the-volume-up. I couldn't believe my ears.

It was as sadly amusing. As sadly amusing as when just for laughs you get a coffee and chit-chatting on the door step with the Jehovah's Witnesses who come 'round every so often.

I mean, YOU KNOW this isn't going anywhere but there's that certain pathetic entertainment in being continually surprised at how BAD things can get as you just play along.

I don't know. I guess it has sort of the same appeal as watching some of those "reality" television programs in that these experiences, viewed from a distance, remind us that no matter how crappy our individual lives are going we aren't the most pathetic creatures to walk the earth. Those guys are.

And I find that somehow comforting.

Yup. Comforting.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

You can mock all you want but if people in this forum think that Dobson is a brilliant announcer then I will never come here again being incredibly disappointed in the board.

I don't think that many would describe Dobson as brilliant. I think I enjoyed these American guys better. I just thought they were funny even though they were'nt trying to be. Not boring like Dobson.

Archived