These Announcers are Brutal

I definitely agree, they were awful. I hadn't thought of the Iron Chef comparison but now that I think of it, it was uncannily similar. One thing I did prefer was the way the goals were called. To me, GOOOOOOOOOAAL sounds better than he shoots he scores.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Did anyone notice that for a second there, the screen graphic claimed that Costa Rica were subbing in George Herbert Walker Bush? :D

I did see that!

I too found them entertaining! I think they gave our "Canadian Mens National Soccer Team" respect throughout! They did mix up our players on several occasions, but so does Gerry! Did anyone catch the colour guy saying Costa Rica were going to play a 4-3-2?

Got to agree with the consensus here. I just saw the second half, I wasn't so annoyed with the way they called the game ( though that wasn't good either) as much as how poorly prepared and informed that they were. It was laughable. It was very obvious that all the info they had on Canada consisted of what they must have been getting from the media guide or the tournament program. And in so many instances it was just incomplete or plain wrong.

As far as description, the commentator was a little more balanced but the play by play guy was obviously wearing a TICOS shirt.

1) the fact that they thought that DeGuzman had only defensive skills shows that they knew nothing about him

2) The statement that Deguzman was the 1st Canadain to play in the Bundesliga... wrong again

I can go on and on.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Did anyone notice that for a second there, the screen graphic claimed that Costa Rica were subbing in George Herbert Walker Bush? :D

Yeah I did catch that !!!!!:D

But I didn't clue in imediately since my initial thought was that there must have been a tico player with that name. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by puskas

I DISAGREE 100%!!!! These were not Canadian announcers so they will make a few errors but I think the horrible announcers are Dobson and Forrest. Even Vic Rauter is better than Dobson.

Hmmm!!! your losing me. Rauter???? when is the last time that you ever heard him call a soccer game. Cripes. Bob Cole might be preferrable, his understanding of soccer is probably better.

They also claimed that Hainault was currently playing for the Montreal Impact, while at other times mentioned his actual club team, Most.

They were un-intentionally funny, except for whoever threw up the graphic about George Bush being subbed on for Costa Rica (as that was obviously intentionally funny, and quite amazing that it was broadcast).

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Holy crap, that's too funny that we were saying the same thing. Definately reminded me of the Iron Chef. All we needed was a Hiy!

I was thinking MXC, but basically the same idea. It was definitely high on the unintentional comedy scale.

Someone should set up a live audio stream and provide the commentary themselves! Sounds like it would be comparable/better to the alternative.

Wasn't there a member that used to provide some sort of audio clips of European games?

Though brutal and not the standard we as fans are used too. I had a nice laugh and found myself waiting for the next non soccer term to come out of the play by play announcers yap.

I agree with Master maybe we have some positive mojo with them.

quote:Originally posted by harwood

Someone should set up a live audio stream and provide the commentary themselves! Sounds like it would be comparable/better to the alternative.

I was going to do just that for the game. Who knows, maybe I still will for the knock out games, I don't know.

These guys would be great on infomercials (if they aren't already doing them). So white, so robotic, so confused. I loved how the one guy had to try and over pronounce every name with a hint of non-Anglo ethnicity. I would prefer a couple of Cylons from the original Battle Star Galactica do the commentary - it would not be as monotone as these two.

The play by play guy is actually on bigsoccer.com in the Canada forum asking if he got any pronounciations of the Canadian players wrong. I gave him three corrections on "Wholian" De Guzman, Kevin "Harm-zi" and Ali "Jerba". Hopefully these will be corrected next time (not that it matters to much to us with Dobson calling the rest of the games). I also gave some suggestions for a short form version of "the Canadian Men's National Team". :)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The play by play guy is actually on bigsoccer.com in the Canada forum asking if he got any pronounciations of the Canadian players wrong. I gave him three corrections on "Wholian" De Guzman, Kevin "Harm-zi" and Ali "Jerba". Hopefully these will be corrected next time (not that it matters to much to us with Dobson calling the rest of the games). I also gave some suggestions for a short form version of "the Canadian Men's National Team". :)

Actually the Whitecaps announcers used to pronounce it "Harm-zi" as if that is the correct pronunciation.

A question here - how is "Jazic" pronounced? Because the guys on TV say "JAZZ-ik" when I always thought it'd be closer to "YAW-zich." (If I knew people here could read IPA, I'd type in that lol :D)

Because with the way you said people's names were being butchered, I was kinda wondering. Especially given that some of the online spellings of AJ's name have the acute accent over the "c" which is a "ch" sound but not exactly like the one in English.

Archived