TFC - KC April 28th @ BMO Field

jpg75

I just want to thank the people on here from outside Toronto for their kind words towards TFC and their fans regarding todays home opener. I was at the game and I must say the fans in the stadium were amazing. I'm a soccer fan who was introduced to the game by my father taking me to the old NASL games in the 70's and 80's. My heart was broken when the NASL died in 1984. I still remember attending the last NASL game ever played in the fall of 1983. It was the NASL championship game at Varsity Stadium in Toronto between the Blizzard and the Chicago Sting. Little did I know that it would be the last game by a Toronto team in a major North American soccer league for about 24 years. Therefore, you can imagine how I waited for today to come when Toronto was awarded a MLS franchise. So there I was today with my father almost 24 years later witnessing the return of a top tier North American league back to Toronto. I must say I had tears in my eyes seeing the packed stadium with it's amazing atmosphere watching a sport I have loved since childhood. I realy hope that a few other Canadian cities will eventualy come to the league so that other Canadians across the country can support their city in this league. I have no doubt that cities like Montreal, Vancouver and even Calgary and Edmonton have what it takes to support a team in the MLS.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first of many rarities, but Well Done Toronto! I know the that Toronto FC is still expierencing growing pains, but the support and atmosphere by watching that game on the tube was amazing. It was almost like watching an English Premiership on TV.

CBC Broadcast team of Nigel Reed and Craig Forrest is brilliant. I thought they had good chemistry in their first broadcast together.

Now I am wondering if TFC will sign Pesch now that he will be a free agent?

Because of work I only managed to see the first half but I thought Dichio looked pretty good. One of the reasons TFC looked better this game was they managed to produce some sustained attack. In previous games the opposition was free to do what they wanted because their didn't seem to be much chance of TFC scoring but they had to be more careful this game. Thought TFC was bit unlucky not to be up 1-0 in first half and maybe salvage a draw from the game. Dichio impressed me more than the other two Brits, physical and dangerous and aware of where he can make plays. Robinson seems very average, good enough to play MLS but doesn't seem to possess any abilities that make me think he will be a standout player. Not good enough to use an import spot on in my opinion. Welsh played better than previously but seems to lack any physicality whatsoever, it seems like a strong wind could knock him over. How did he get as far as he has in English football like that?

all we are saying is give us a goal

like another post - this brought me to tears

the fans were truly fans - didn't sit on their hands, didn't hear 9 yr old kids screaming

been reading posts from US MLS fans on other sites:

Terrific crowd. Great stadium. Wonderful announcers. And the audio is set up nicely so that you can hear the crowd on t.v. throughout the match.

THIS is how MLS should be.

quote:Originally posted by red card

all we are saying is give us a goal

like another post - this brought me to tears

the fans were truly fans - didn't sit on their hands, didn't hear 9 yr old kids screaming

been reading posts from US MLS fans on other sites:

Terrific crowd. Great stadium. Wonderful announcers. And the audio is set up nicely so that you can hear the crowd on t.v. throughout the match.

THIS is how MLS should be.

was done at the stadium about 7:15 this morning to soak in every thing, had a wee chat with Craig Forrest around 10, this whole day minus the score was brilliant. I was sitting next to the rpb/u sector group and they were amazing. Win will come no doubt but lets

soak in were back in pro soccer big time with a fantastic stadium,

the Lynx must be cursing something awlful. General soccer fans are

finding out how tough MLS is and that it's not a pushover league.

Now if we could MLSE to run the CSA we might be on to something

for the good of the game!!!

Hey I had the time of my life,was in contact with the Toronto FC management at 4 am in the morning and they were even more excited about this game. I was on the Score at about 10.30 and before that I did my own radio show.Getting closer to the stadium all I saw was the crowd we want,young girls and guys.The stadium is magnificent. My background was the CN tower,The guy behind me was the MLS commisioner and the guys in front of me well it is all about skill skill skill. I liked the bald guy,has lots of potential,other than that we have a way to go.

The crowd was what dreams are all about and I really think they stole the show. Guys you were magnificent and incredable.

I have been for many years it seems talking about what the crowds mean to the players and I am very sure that in post game interviews this will be talked about. Guys it is all about us,we are the ones they really play for and we can't leave them alone and tonite you did not. I am sure that even the other team must be full of envy,yes sir we in Toronto know how to do it the right way.Even the guy who sung the National anthems must have been Canadian,the stars etc lost this one,kind of funny that was.

Can you imagine in years to come when our players have come together as a team what we will experience and what we can do,hey bring on Man U.

Some change in the sporting scene in Canada. During half time the most amazing thing I never ever expected, there was the no 1 guy with the MLSE opening beer cans and filling up the plastic glass did that for twenty five minutes.These guys mean business. I have some pictures and I will sent them to Paul, no he was not the one.Even the Carlsberg guys who saw him opening these cans took pictures and yes this guy even carried the beer cases to the concession. Saw Paul during and after the game and he looked quite happy.Recommendations from a Duthman don't ask. It will be a matter of time. I whish I could spent some time with Mo.It is all about skill skill skill.

I met a whole slew of guys I have not seen for years and I feel very good about that.Met George Gross,Gerry Dobson,Dick Howard and Mike Povey and many others,this is soccer family stuff,I mean the real life things.

History history and more.

The best scoring chance was at 43 minutes but a big fat miss. Now about that offer, well Im have to think about that. But it will be done again,just don't know how yet.

Just got back in Ottawa after leaving this morning at 5:30 AM for Toronto.

I have to echo everything said here, the crowd was great, team played much better, like Grizzly impressed with Dichio. Big improvement over Buddle, Dichio was a physical beast out there, he will pick up a few yellows and put the fear into defenders. I think that most of his weaknesses tonight were from not playing with the team, at times he had trouble finding teammates.

Congrats to U-sector/RPB. Not a bad seat in the house.

My girlfriend who is a recent convert to soccer, said "it was well worth getting up at 5AM to be at the game"

"You can only be at the first game once"

Hey, all. I was there too, and what can I add to what's been said about the crowd? A sea of red in the stadium and fans in full voice. I scammed a seat in the top row at the south end of the stadium, right beside the steel drums and megaphone man. Those guys were a freaking party.

So how many folks here were in the huge parade of singing, drumming fans walking in around 11:30? I was helping a friend set up his Suckerpunch lemonade stand this morning -- you think TFC had a tough time, try selling lemonade in this weather. I was the one yelling "beat the heat with ice-cold lemonade!" Tough crowd.

Anyhow, I'll be working a lot more weekends and scamming a lot more free game-day seats this summer. Hope the crowd continues to be this great all season.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Some quick thoughts,

Marvell Wynne has amazing pace, but his crosses were terrible. That needs to be worked on.

Nigel Reed is indeed awesome, but I didn't find him to be that great today. I don't know why, but he seemed to stumble alot with his words.

Great to see the faces of the players at the end. Looks they are giving it their best, and that is all anyone can asks for.

I can not wait until the next game comes around.

Nigel looked nervous during his on-camera moments so I think he's just going through the adaptation process of radio to television. He didn't appear all that comfortable in front of camera so give him a few games and we'll see how he does.

His commentary was generally good but ya, there were a few moments where he seemed to lose his train of thought.

db

Go show Toronto. I was totally impressed with what I saw and heard on the CBC. The commentary was classy, the crowd was noisy, knowledgeable and in to it and the game was good with plenty of intrigue. The stadium appeared impressive as well and seemed to add to the quality of the entertainment.

Too bad the results added a bit of a downer to the show, but I did enjoy the edgy play of Danny Dichio. Just have to fix that back line and I think TFC will be competitive.....

Lennie

The Star says give us your best chant.

Mary Ormsby,a former soccer writer covering the Blizzard and Robbie it seems umpteen years ago is throwing a challence at the Toronto FC fans.

She says we have a team name and staduim,but no song.

Well it seems she must have been reading my mind or may have listened to me these years ago.

She says Toronto FC needs a song or chant,she is so right on.

I anyone can publish this article,we will all be able to figure this out.

This is one amazing and great suggestion.

you can sent your suggestion to:sports@thestar.ca.

all they ask for is to keep it clean,nothing blow the belt that is. I guess lm may have some problems with that.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Mary Ormsby,a former soccer writer covering the Blizzard and Robbie it seems umpteen years ago is throwing a challence at the Toronto FC fans.

She says we have a team name and staduim,but no song.

Well it seems she must have been reading my mind or may have listened to me these years ago.

She says Toronto FC needs a song or chant,she is so right on.

I anyone can publish this article,we will all be able to figure this out.

This is one amazing and great suggestion.

Sounds pretty corporate to me.

Or I'm being overly critical and she's just having a bit of fun and that's what footie is all about isn't it? If so, bravo.

Thought everbody looked 1,000% better Saturday but there's still odviously A LOT of work to do. At least the lads have found some intensity and initiative. Hopefully the legs will come sooner rather than latter, along with a bit better organization.

Shame about the goal. Looked like it came off JB there.

Dichio had a very good match. Once everybody is on the same page things will be very much improved up front. He's going to work great with a raiding midfielder. Absolutely great. Hope he stays healthy and TFC get less whistle happy ref'ing in the future.

Oh, MLSE has to find a million bucks or two and put a roof over that end grandstand. It'll hold the noise in and project it over the rest of the stadium and that alone will keep people coming back for more.

Not a bad broadcast at all but the CBC camera crews and Nigel have a bit of learning ahead of them. They'll get the hang of it though. They've certainly got the idea right they just need to polish up the delivery a bit. And remember how bad Craig sucked when he started? Man's turned it around hasn't he?

No this article is extremely meaningfull and about as important as you can get.Not corporate at all in fact to the contrary. The Star promoting song(s) during a pro game yet not done at any other sport,wow.

You can read it at their web site,under soccer Cheeta,lol

Cheeta I am more than blown away,you tried to give it a sland that does not exoist. This is amazingly crazy and very disturbing to me as well. Is your heart in soccer or what. Canada's largest newspaper and you of all people come up with the worlds largest cop out. Come on wake up or get out. Make your choice,this is way beyond effen crazy.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

all they ask for is to keep it clean,nothing blow the belt that is. I guess lm may have some problems with that.

I swear thats written in english but it's all jibberish too me, I thought it had talk of clean chants but thats just crazy talk. Like to see how they'd react to some of the bosna chants

I got one though: I smell London, I smell France, LA GALAXY SUCKS *joke

Juby are you a boy or girl or in between I mean jibberish crap.I again can't believe this. Read the Star'e website and as I suggested to that little cheating animal under soccer read it and feel kind of liberated.The Star really wants to get involved and you tried to screw it up. Read the Star and ignore me ok.

Archived