New Coach Prediction Thread

Grizzly

What a bunch of BS. Have we really decided on anything. No date to end negotiations or make an announcement. You would think that negotiations would have been agreed in principle long time ago when they interview the candidates. Why they had to meet at a hotel? they think their offices are bugged?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by The Ref

What a bunch of BS. Have we really decided on anything. No date to end negotiations or make an announcement. You would think that negotiations would have been agreed in principle long time ago when they interview the candidates. Why they had to meet at a hotel? they think their offices are bugged?

Wow, that post shows why you're a fan.....

First, I've rarely heard of candidates negotiating during the interview process. Of course you can have some offer/comments during interviews but the real negos is when they call to tell that you have the job.

Second, their office is in Ottawa if I'm not mistaken so Toronto would make more sense for transportation issues, no?

As a fan, I find the process a little bit frustrating but as I said in another thread, does it really matter if we hired the coach in the end of march or the end of april???

Bottom line is that nothing is final until a formal offer is made. I doubt a formal offer could be made until the CSA was in a position to make the offer. I suspect everything will be done very quickly.

Again, this was supposed to be a regular Board Meeting so the location was probably set some time ago.

Since this is a prediction thred, let me predict that the New Head Coach of the Canadian Mens National Team will be a Brazilian with the initials, R.S.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Bottom line is that nothing is final until a formal offer is made. I doubt a formal offer could be made until the CSA was in a position to make the offer. I suspect everything will be done very quickly.

Again, this was supposed to be a regular Board Meeting so the location was probably set some time ago.

Since this is a prediction thred, let me predict that the New Head Coach of the Canadian Mens National Team will be a Brazilian with the initials, R.S.

I'm making the same prediction.

I am sure that the coach before he accept apart from the salary will also negociate the role the CSA and what is expected of them to make sure that he has the necessary tools and support when needed to prepare and work with the team so that he does not have to find out later that he is faced with broken promises by the CSA.

he has to table his short term and long term plan and what is required to make Canada a contender for a spot South Africa 2010 comes WCQ.

Let me share some more wild speculation on my part.

I am still wondering if this is a 1 and 1A entry from Brazil. RS was TD in Jamaica, T&T and Honduras too (I think?). Second point, a number near $500,000 was suggested as the stumbling block and the reason for having to go to the full Board. When I look at the positions RS has held since Jamaica, I don't see a $500,000 annual salary attached to any of them. So who is 1A? Applicant #4? Without naming names, I know there was another Brazilian Coach who applied and probably would be a bigger name in Brazilian Club soccer than RS and currently available.

Where it gets very surreal is that both these coaches were in Qatar together.

Also, RS would never get involved in a program without being sure that the pieces are in place. He has been burned a few times in the past.

in your opinion (without names) do you think the other Brazilian might do a better job than Simoes? RS seems a bit quirky to me, to be honest.

I will only say that the other guy has the highest professional respect for Simoes and has called him one of the best in Brazil. The other guy does not have CONCACAF experience so would not likely be considered on his own. He would have been very interesting since he has won titles on three continents.

Unbeleivable :D. This is hilarious. By the way, I heard that they ordered coffee and doughnuts at lunch as well. Damn, why the hell are they even eating? <sarcasm>

I suspect Linford had to secure Board approval to exceed the budget for the new coach so nothing could be finalised until then. On the bright side this could be a good sign in that we are probably not getting a 'cheap' coach :-)

CSA negotiating with new coach

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20070421_195622_5440

TORONTO (CP) -- The board of the Canadian Soccer Association has decided on a new coach for the men's national team, but it isn't revealing the name of the successful candidate.

The 19-member board reached a decision Saturday but won't announce the new coach because contract negotiations are still ongoing, said a CSA spokesman.

The CSA gave neither a timetable for negotiations nor a date for an announcement.

The board met at a hotel near the Toronto airport to vote on the choice of the four-person selection committee. The vote was supposed to have taken place the weekend of March 30, but not all board members were available to make the trip to Toronto.

CSA president Colin Linford said Saturday that he is comfortable taking whatever time is necessary to find the right person to lead Canada to the 2010 World Cup.

"Our objective is to qualify for the FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010," said Linford. "We are moving the right direction by working as a team and ensuring that each and every member of the board is on the same page."

In March, Linford said two Canadians and two foreigners are in the running for the post. He added that he knew who he wanted and that soccer fans would know his preferred choice.

continued....

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I suspect Linford had to secure Board approval to exceed the budget for the new coach so nothing could be finalised until then. On the bright side this could be a good sign in that we are probably not getting a 'cheap' coach :-)

Or, CSA politics has gotten in the way, and all this delay was just a way to make sure the 'cheap' coach is the one that we get.

I sure hope this new coach works out. This process has been handled in an incredibly poor manner and speaks volumes about how the CSA works and how it is structured (very related issues).

Does anyone know who governs the CSA or gives the board its mandate? If there was ever going to be serious change, it would have to come from there, I think.

Some insight from Peter Mallet

"The CSA's 19-member board of directors met over the weekend, but could not reach agreement on a contract for Simoes."

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070423.wxsoccan23/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Truly unbelievable that this is being played out in public. So embarrassing.

I wonder how long the board spent debating and approving the budget to order lunch at their meeting?

I was curious who (if anyone) has power over the CSA Board. I was hopeful that some person or entity could step in and force them to do their job properly.

I skim-read the almost-100 year old, over 100 pages "Administrative Guide of the Dominion of Canada Football Association". Found lots of interesting stuff, including:

A list of all the Board members since the early 1900s

A 12-page policy on Harrassment (how 1990's!)

I learned that the primary purpose of sending Canadian national teams to international competitions is to promote a positive image abroad (nothing mentioned about succeeding, or even being competitive. How Canadian!)

I found no mention anywhere of any oversight or power over the board. Like the Csars of Russia or the Emperors of Rome, it would seem that the Board is a law unto itself, answerable to no one.

Life goes on.

I was curious who (if anyone) has power over the CSA Board. I was hopeful that some person or entity could step in and force them to do their job properly.

I skim-read the almost-100 year old, over 100 pages "Administrative Guide of the Dominion of Canada Football Association". Found lots of interesting stuff, including:

A list of all the Board members since the early 1900s

A 12-page policy on Harrassment (how 1990's!)

I learned that the primary purpose of sending Canadian national teams to international competitions is to promote a positive image abroad (nothing mentioned about succeeding, or even being competitive. How Canadian!)

I found no mention anywhere of any oversight or power over the board. Like the Csars of Russia or the Emperors of Rome, it would seem that the Board is a law unto itself, answerable to no one.

Life goes on.

If you are correct in that the Board is essentially accountable to only itself, then any impetus for change would almost certainly have to come from the CSA funders.

I know there is grassroots funding, corporate sponsorship and government funding - does anyone know what the proportion of each is?

What this entire episode had displayed, more than anything, is that the current Board members are in way over their heads.

If you are correct in that the Board is essentially accountable to only itself, then any impetus for change would almost certainly have to come from the CSA funders.

I know there is grassroots funding, corporate sponsorship and government funding - does anyone know what the proportion of each is?

What this entire episode had displayed, more than anything, is that the current Board members are in way over their heads.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

"The CSA's 19-member board of directors met over the weekend, but could not reach agreement on a contract for Simoes."

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070423.wxsoccan23/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

This is getting beyond embarassing. How do they expect to hire anybody at this rate?

quote:Originally posted by Dave

This is getting beyond embarassing. How do they expect to hire anybody at this rate?

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by SF

This in fact, is most likely the very problem itself.

The provincial and community associations sometimes battle the CSA on everything they do.

There are people in the community associations that would battle a ten cent per player increase for a Brazilian coach to their grave. They have done it in the past, and they are probably doing it now.

I am not kidding or exaggerating here.

There are lot people out there that would be perfectly happy playing 11v11 soccer with 5 year olds and old leather balls.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by SF

This in fact, is most likely the very problem itself.

The provincial and community associations sometimes battle the CSA on everything they do.

There are people in the community associations that would battle a ten cent per player increase for a Brazilian coach to their grave. They have done it in the past, and they are probably doing it now.

I am not kidding or exaggerating here.

There are lot people out there that would be perfectly happy playing 11v11 soccer with 5 year olds and old leather balls.

Guest speedmonk42

I am actually kind of happy it is public.

Personally I think the whole thing should be totally transparent.

We should know who is opposing it and why, money, everything.

Guest speedmonk42

I am actually kind of happy it is public.

Personally I think the whole thing should be totally transparent.

We should know who is opposing it and why, money, everything.

Archived