New Coach Prediction Thread

Grizzly

if money is ths issue

Get rid of Evan

that should free up some dough.

combine both jobs together that way for 500k it will make sure that there is alawys something for the new coach to handle.

use the Junior coaches as his assistant as caretaker if there is game conflict.

of course If Pipe would have put a clause where a portion of the Stadium name money goes to the CSA before gift wraping money allocated by different level of Government to MLSE

the money problem would have been taken care of.

even less than 5% would have ensured that we have a coach in place by now.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by sj

if money is ths issue

Get rid of Evan

combine both jobs together that way for 500k it will make sure that there is alawys something for the new coach to handle.

of course If Pipe would have put a clause where a portion of the Stadium name money goes to the CSA before gift wraping money allocated by different level of Government to MLSE

But the problem here(possibly in some circles) is that it's not about enough money, it's how any money is used at all. So what ever scheme you come up with for re-allocating money or generating more doesn't really matter.

It's more fundamental when you are dealing with constituents who are not arguing over 200 000 for coach A. vs. 400 000 for coach B. They are arguing no money should be spent on ANY coach. (this is speculation of course, but these people do exist in Canada).

So while one representative may be arguing for a cheaper salary the people that person represents may be tearing them a new arse hole over the fact that they are not funding micro soccer fields for 5 year olds. They see it as money that should be spent in their community and they don't see it any other way.

All of this is speculation, but the point is it is an organization that represents 800 000 players + god knows how many administrators including ALL of the crazy ones and everything that comes along. Well over a million people.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by sj

if money is ths issue

Get rid of Evan

But the problem here(possibly in some circles) is that it's not about enough money, it's how any money is used at all. So what ever scheme you come up with for re-allocating money or generating more doesn't really matter.

It's more fundamental when you are dealing with constituents who are not arguing over 200 000 for coach A. vs. 400 000 for coach B. They are arguing no money should be spent on ANY coach. (this is speculation of course, but these people do exist in Canada).

So while one representative may be arguing for a cheaper salary the people that person represents may be tearing them a new arse hole over the fact that they are not funding micro soccer fields for 5 year olds. They see it as money that should be spent in their community and they don't see it any other way.

All of this is speculation, but the point is it is an organization that represents 800 000 players + god knows how many administrators including ALL of the crazy ones and everything that comes along. Well over a million people.

quote:Originally posted by SF

Everything about this has been a joke - the length of time it has taken, the leaked information to the media (if I were a candidate I would be litigating the living piss out of the CSA for that - confidentiality with respect to employment searches is pretty basic stuff), the ill advised public quotes from Linford (on the who and the when), the inability of the board to get together on short notice, etc....

I don't disagree with your general idea but I am not sure that Linford's statements on the candidates was a mistake. I think speedmonk is probably right about the opposition Linford is receiving from provincial members about hiring an expensive foreign coach. By at least putting some leaks in the press about who he is trying to hire Linford is probably trying to put pressure on other board members to agree to hiring a well qualified coach and giving the men's team some importance. As speedmonk said, there are probably a not insignificant number of board members who view (or represent a membership that views) soccer as a pleasant and cheap after school activity to fill up time for bored kids instead of a serious endeavor in which we should excel on the worldwide stage. The popularity and inexpensiveness of soccer as a recreational activity in some ways hurts the sport in Canada in that the management of the sport is full of people who also view it as largely recreational. Contrast this with some of the other sports boards in Canada such as curling or rugby that are run by people who are diehard fans of the sport and view Canada's international achievements as extremely important.

We also should not ignore the fact that the issue may not be entirely financial. The last foreign coach, Ossieck, was fairly diligent (and probably not very diplomatic) about going to the various regions of the country and telling them what they were doing wrong in terms of player development and organizational approach. Simoes seems to be someone who would do likewise. The fact that most of what Ossieck and probably Simoes would say is correct still doesn't make this style of leadership attractive to those who prefer business as usual and to operate in the way they feel comfortable or which benefits themselves the most. For example, if a prominent internationally respected coach states to the media that the Manitoba soccer association is not developing players correctly this will put their association president under a fair bit of pressure to change things. Even if the criticism is absolutely legitimate it may not please the said president to do this.

Linford is the first president I have heard who at least is saying what many people on this forum have said for years. He is probably facing a lot of opposition from other board members in trying to implement his vision. I imagine if you or I were CSA president we would probably have good ideas as well but may find it incredibly hard to implement them. If we end up with a good coach in the end I am willing to forgive whatever methods were used to achieve this even if some of them seem less than professional. If we don't end up with a good coach I think we should put the blame where it belongs which is indeed the CSA but probably not Linford but the provincial board members who prevented him from doing what was good for the game.

I don't mean to unfairly single out Linford...my point about his public musings was directed more to the statement that this was done and that something would be announced by March 31. Clearly, he misjudged the dynamic on his board. Or he was unclear about his mandate.

I have no idea what the internal board dynamic is. All I know is that if you have serious disagreement about the path forward (that seems rather obvious), you do not let it play out in public.

As an aside...if I had 2 cents to wager on what is happening - they have agreed on a candidate (presumably Simoes), but the board has authorized a salary budget less than Linford wanted. Which creates the risk that the candidate tells the CSA to go stuff itself. My sincere hope is that this does not happen, but at this point I wouldn't be too surprised.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think speedmonk is probably right about the opposition Linford is receiving from provincial members about hiring an expensive foreign coach. By at least putting some leaks in the press about who he is trying to hire Linford is probably trying to put pressure on other board members to agree to hiring a well qualified coach and giving the men's team some importance. As speedmonk said, there are probably a not insignificant number of board members who view (or represent a membership that views) soccer as a pleasant and cheap after school activity to fill up time for bored kids instead of a serious endeavor in which we should excel on the worldwide stage.

Linford is the first president I have heard who at least is saying what many people on this forum have said for years. He is probably facing a lot of opposition from other board members in trying to implement his vision. I imagine if you or I were CSA president we would probably have good ideas as well but may find it incredibly hard to implement them.

Guest speedmonk42

I do want to make it clear that the things I wrote were more in response to blanket statements that the CSA is totally incompetent rather than an explanation to the current coaching selection problems.

I was trying to point out that for them to do anything they often have to pull some very long sticks out of some very thick mud, and that the reasons for the resistance are often not obvious and highly varied.

So when you hear someone just vilifying the CSA ask them to explain it. It often is totally vacuous and totally lacking any context to the challenges of running soccer in a country as big as this with less money than the budget for sports tape of a football team.

The kind of change we want will take a long time, possibly generations.

It is important to be critical of the CSA, but it is also important to understand the context in which they operate, and how much better it is getting every year.

We are a very focused group of people, the other 2 million players, parents, coaches, refs and administrators that make up soccer in Canada and ultimately make up the CSA don't share out interests, but that is changing.

Soon the V's will be a throbbing mass of millions feared in stadiums all over the world.....

Archived