Canadians abroad: January 13-19, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Saturday, January 14

10:00 AM on Sportsnet — England: Premier League

Liverpool vs. Tottenham (Paul Stalteri)

Monday, January 16

3:00 PM (53-hour delay) on FSWC — England: Premier League

Fulham (Tomasz Radzinski) vs. Newcastle

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for January 13-19, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

didnt think any of the goals were bad. Every one was well taken into the corner. All would have been difficult stops:

The second one look savable from the angle we have, but #1 and #3 I don't think you can blame him. But it's not a very good way to start you career with Rosenborg to give up 3 goals in one half. To be fair to him, 2 of those goals came from big defensive mistakes.

Today in the Prem:

- Stalteri gets a straight red in the 87th minute as he is adjudged to have been the last man back and that he clipped Kewell, although the contact looked pretty marginal. Kewell scored the goal for Liverpool's 1-0 win on a beautiful volley, but he was Stalteri's man. A 3-match ban will likely accompany the straight red. Paul's minute streak is over. Spurs are still 4th.

- Radzinski is subbed out for Malbranque in the 62nd minute with no score against Newcastle. Malbranque scores in the 75th to give Fulham the 1-0 win. Fulham are 12th.

Today in the CCC:

- Paul Peschisolido plays the entire match and starts off the scoring in the 11th minute as Derby thrash Crewe 5-1. Derby are 16th

- De Vos plays the whole match as Ipswich draw 2nd place Sheffield United 1-1. Ipswich are 15th.

- Brennan rides the bench as Plymouth and Norwich draw 1-1. Norwich are 10th.

- No Simpson as Preston defeat Millwall 2-0. Millwall stay in the relegation zone in 23rd.

- No Bircham as QPR beat Southampton 1-0. QPR are 11th.

- Hume is brought on in the 66th minute, with Leicester trailing 2-1 to relegation rivals Sheffield Wednesday. That's how it ends and Leicester drop into the relegation zone to 22nd.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Today in the Prem:

- Stalteri gets a straight red in the 87th minute as he is adjudged to have been the last man back and that he clipped Kewell, although the contact looked pretty marginal. Kewell scored the goal for Liverpool's 1-0 win on a beautiful volley, but he was Stalteri's man. A 3-match ban will likely accompany the straight red.

I wouldn't be surprised if they appealed that then. 3 matches for that extremely debatable red-card would be ridiculous. Its highly debatable that he was the last man back (the match commentators didn't think so), and frankly I don't even know if he touched Kewell, who fell down most, uh, dramatically, shall we say.

Paul was perhaps a bit a fault on the goal, but it was a superb volley from a cross that came from the other side of the field and I'd put as much "blame" (this is more of a goal where you congratulate the scorer rather than blame the defense) on the Spurs players on the the side of the field for not shutting down the player making the cross. Almost all of Liverpools attacks arose out on the opposite flank from Stalteri.

Though that red was one of those home field calls, and I have to say there were a few out there. Not that I think the ref'ing was bad, just ever so slightly slanted to Liverpools benefit. Should be alright on appeal but you never know. Kewell made a bloody meal of it for sure.

Good match I though. Kewell and Diesel going at it all match. Give it to Kewell though, but had Keane worked that give and go on the edge of Liverpools box LIKE HE SHOULD HAVE the accounts would have been much, much closer.

Also though Paul left Kewell way too much space at the far end of the crease on the goal but he'd shifted over to help (Dawson?) crowd Crouch who'd up to that point been more than a handful. Wrong decision I guess given that volley, but hard to find too much blame there. That was an outstanding strike.

Although I question Kewell's motives (the ball had fallen a bit behind his feet, so it wasn't a gimme that he'd be clear through) I would guess that the evidence is not strong enough for the FA to overrule the referee's decision.

But I'm not completely sure of the rules on this one. i.e. is it always 3 matches for a straight red, unless the FA overturns the decision?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

It was definitely a red. He was the only defender back who was gonna do anything about Kewell getting a great scoring chance. The other defender was level with Stalteri but way to one side of the field and was never gonna catch Kewell. Easy call for the ref.

He wasn't THAT far over, and it was right at centre-field - Lee would have the entire half-length of the field in which to race Kewell and like the BBC commentators said (they disagreed with the call) the Ref has to be absolutely certain the player committing the foul is the last person back. When you add that to the fact that Kewell clearly dove, it would be very harsh to suspend a player 3 whole matches for that.

Rocco Placentino played 51 minutes as Gualdo were defeated 3-1 by Cavese in Serie C2B today. Rocco could not help defeat his former team, but he did assist on Gualdo's loan goal.

Julian Uccello scored for Sansepolcro as they tied RC Angolana 1-1 in Serie D Girone F today. I haven't seen any line ups yet, so I'm not sure how long Julian played. I'm pretty sure this was Julian's debut for his new club.

David Masciantonio's Monterotondo were defeated 5-1 by Cassino in Serie D Girone G today. No line ups available yet.

From spurs.co.uk:

Meanwhile, Martin felt the late dismissal of Paul Stalteri - a straight red card for bringing down Kewell as the last man - was somewhat harsh on the full-back.

He added: "Firstly, Kewell's touch was bad and I don't think he would have got onto the ball and secondly, Lee was sprinting over as well, so there was another player there."

liv2.jpg

Gallacher has been in my opinion the worst ref in the Premiership this season. In many games that I've seen him he's made some strange decisions like giving a penalty for a foul outside the box (most refs will not even give a penalty if the foul is barely in the box) and not calling a handball on a goalkeeper outside the box (just to name a few).

Archived