Canadians abroad: January 13-19, 2006

DJT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big fan of DeGuzman, but I've also wondered if he's the creative engine many of think/hope he'd become. With that said, he still has a significant role to play for us. My gut tells me that the only guy with the real talent to become the playmaking midfielder we need is Hutchinson. For that reason we MUST find some way to get him playing THAT position and not in the centre of the back four.

Glad to hear DeGuz got a full game. Perhaps he and Hutch will pair up, one holding, the other attacking. Damn, that sounds wrong.;)

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Perhaps he and Hutch will pair up, one holding, the other attacking. Damn, that sounds wrong.;)

Yes.

Yes it does.

Anyway, glad to hear The Guz has gotten some time in after this last spell of inactivity. Have to agree with Ed in that he's pretty much where anyone could have reasonably expected him to be. He's refusing (at least!) to allow himself to be left out of the picture and that in itself is quite something.

And maybe to just add a little to Jeffrey S's observations I think if I'm reading things correctly Julian, like most players, get's stronger as he becomes more familiar with his on-field surroundings and the role that he's expected to play on it. This last period spent on the bench may have harmed his normal performance. That's certainly not unheard of.

And no, I at least don't expect The Guz to be our attacking midfield general. Never have. But he is in my minds eye, enough of a two way player to be a step above what Canada has had to offer in the middle centre for these last 20 years. Absolutely. And he can do it all the while with grit and with pace.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Goes forward late and ineffectively to challenge the guy with the ball, but is so tenacious he eventually gets it.

Jeffrey, the first italicized is at odds with the second IMO. How can he be ineffective if he evetually gets the ball?

Change eventually to occasionally. They actually rated him okay as that was what Depor needed, a clean sheet at home. But I won't change anything else. And I won't post what the radio announcers were saying at Cadena Ser (I watch tv and listen to radio commentaries), that he runs like hell but has "no criteria", which was a bit true last night. Sorry to say. Ooops, just posted what they were saying.

Julian, I think, has incredible pace and condition, and is a decent passer, and goes forward well, and man marks okay. It is just there are games he seems to be playing below his potential, like he still needs to take a step up. I mean, if you are so strong and can last, then you have to challenge higher up, as even if you miss your man if you are Julian you can still get back to get another chance at him.

Still, he is not a great passer.

With Duscher carded and sitting out this weekend let's hope Julian gets some time. Probably alongside Sergio. A plus is that the team will be tired after playing with 10 men 60 minutes, but Julian will recover well.

Not sure who they play on Sunday...

-- The Sevillan coach also had eulogies for Julián de Guzmán: "He is the personification of a professional, a player that without making too much noise is working hard day by day and you can see the kind of match that he did tonight." --

-- The absense of Duscher will cause troubles in midfield, Scaloni should be the selected option in order to replace him, but the good work of Julián De Guzmán in the copa match and the subsequent eulogies made by Caparrós invites to think that the Canadian could enjoy a new chance against Mallorca. --

/quote from http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/news.php

so it's seems that he play better in this game has a def mid than in his last game has a right winger. It's good to see him play at is natural position. Scaloni will leave anyway so I hope de Guzman will have a new and better chance this time.

Archived