Canadians abroad: January 13-19, 2006

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel Fernandes got the shutout at Paok beat Xanthi Skoda 1-0 on a Salpiggidis goal, 2nd half. That puts them up to fourth in the league three back of Panathinaikos, who lost to Olympiakos.

In league play with Daniel in goal the team has given up 12 goals in 14 games.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Jonathon went the whole way as Feyenoord beat Vitesse 0-1 away. They are 2nd in Holland, a point back of PSV.

Not sure if mentioned, Marcel de Jong played 90 for Helmond Sport, who drew VVV Venlo at home, they are upper mid table but have a game in hand, which they are making up vs. Eindhoven (not PSV) tomorrow evening.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar sat out Gondomar's 1-4 away win at Barreirense, he is listed as injured right now. The team is seventh, ten points back of the Liga de Honra leader, his former side Beira Mar, but have the promotion spot in sight, just six points above them.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian de G once again on the bench as Depor lost at home to the team's weakest side Alavés, 0-2.

Even though his positional rival Duscher came down injured in the warm-up, Scaloni, more attacking, was brought in to cover for him, and the Argentine and was blamed for much of the bad play by fans, ending up with police intervening as he had a scuttle with a fan after the match.

The team is still in a Champion's spot, but in a good run in the last 6 weeks have lost three home matches, to Villareal, Espanyol and this latest debacle.

I am hoping that injuries and some doubts with players not performing will get Julian back into the mix, if only on the basis of his pace and committment.

Hard to figure that a player would get a three match ban for that particular red card offence; hopefully an appeal will lessen the Diesel's punishment.

Otherwise, in watching his overall performance for most of the match, he played safe when in possession, and provided willing support for his teammates in offensive positions (maybe it was just my imagination, but it seemed like Mido was reluctant to pass to him). Defensively, that Kewell goal was a cracker and I find it difficult to fault Stalteri for his positioning: he was providing support to the centre back, and besides, I think Finnan how too much time to make that cross.

However, I am a little concerned by the Diesel's tendency to dive into challenges: as well as drawing a couple of fouls in the 35 yards out on the flank range, he got skinned by Kewell in the 23rd minute and Gerrard skipped around him in the 65th minute. I have to qualify my statements by saying that I haven't watched him play enough this year, so those of you regular Diesel watchers can refute my opinions.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

But I'm not completely sure of the rules on this one. i.e. is it always 3 matches for a straight red, unless the FA overturns the decision?

Answering my own question... I think I found the applicable rule on the FA's site for this one. It should only be a 1 match ban for Stalteri. 3 matches is the standard for Violent Conduct and Serious Foul Play. (like C. Ronaldo's red on the weekend hopefully)

quote:

© PLAYERS SENT OFF UNDER LAW 12 (4) and (5)

A Player who is dismissed from the Field of Play for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by physical means or by handling the ball, will be suspended automatically from all approved First Team matches commencing forthwith, until such time as his Club’s First Team has completed its next match in an approved Competition.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

However, I am a little concerned by the Diesel's tendency to dive into challenges: as well as drawing a couple of fouls in the 35 yards out on the flank range, he got skinned by Kewell in the 23rd minute and Gerrard skipped around him in the 65th minute.

Not sure if this would fall into the catagory of the challenges you're writing about but yeah, I've seen Paul throw out some pretty aggressive (and seemingly hopeless) challenges. Some of those tackles I put down to shepparding moves. Doesn't matter that he does or doesn't make the tackle, it's a blocking movement ment to force an attacker into a more certain, and predictable course for your team mates. Amongst other things you need to have some good understanding between the defenders to pull it off though, but I'd have to say 'Spurs sure seem to have that.

Even done right it can look worse than it is on televison.

Or not.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

But I'm not completely sure of the rules on this one. i.e. is it always 3 matches for a straight red, unless the FA overturns the decision?

I thought it was only a 3 match ban if it was violent conduct. For example, CRonaldo's tackle against Man City.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

However, I am a little concerned by the Diesel's tendency to dive into challenges: as well as drawing a couple of fouls in the 35 yards out on the flank range, he got skinned by Kewell in the 23rd minute and Gerrard skipped around him in the 65th minute. I have to qualify my statements by saying that I haven't watched him play enough this year, so those of you regular Diesel watchers can refute my opinions.

I didn't see the first half, but the "Gerrard skipped around him" did not concern me at all. He put the ball 20 yards past Stalteri because Paul did not give him time to have any kind of touch on it. It was nicely and safely corraled by Dawson and the threat was over. Just looked like good team defence to me. Someone else tried it a little later on, may even have been Gerrard, with more control and Stalteri beat him to the ball pretty easily.

Overall, he gets beat once and a while, sometimes on a slip, sometimes on a move, but no more than most backs in the league. Same with the free kicks in his half. He does tend to marshall players to less dangerous areas quite well, better than most backs IMO. Only see all or part of 6 games, so the opinion is not especially broad in its base.

It doesn't really matter what the armchair experts think. Martin Jol has the confidence in Paul to start him every game and play him every minute. Only Robinson the GK has the same minutes on the season.

Guest Jeffery S.

No Marco Bras as his Pampilhosa won over Coimbra 2-1 in Portugal's third tier. He was carded last week and it could have meant suspension for last Sunday's game. The team is 8 off the lead after 12 games, in fifth place.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Only see all or part of 6 games, so the opinion is not especially broad in its base.

Same with me, I haven't been able to watch him as closely either, but he is pretty steady for the most part, especially when he jockeys opponents away from danger zones, as you have astutely stated.

However, don't you think Jol was relieved that Gerrard overhit his touch on that particular play I described?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Rocco Placentino played 51 minutes as Gualdo were defeated 3-1 by Cavese in Serie C2B today. Rocco could not help defeat his former team, but he did assist on Gualdo's loan goal.

Julian Uccello scored for Sansepolcro as they tied RC Angolana 1-1 in Serie D Girone F today. I haven't seen any line ups yet, so I'm not sure how long Julian played. I'm pretty sure this was Julian's debut for his new club.

David Masciantonio's Monterotondo were defeated 5-1 by Cassino in Serie D Girone G today. No line ups available yet.

Maybe I can help Masciantonio did not play in the 5-1 lost.

Julian had his debut with his new team, It took 40 minutes to get his first goal but unfortunately broke his jaw in the 60 minute mark by a high kick from a defender who was trying to clear the ball, but instead fracturing his lower jaw in 3 places. He was rushed to the Pescara Hospital by ambulance and then transferred to Arezzo General where he had to undergo a 2.5 hour surgery to put all things back. He is well according to his father and is expected to recover fully with no harm done. I plan to return the favour to visit him tomorrow in Arezzo to make sure all is going well, for his Father.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Maybe I can help Masciantonio did not play in the 5-1 lost.

Julian had his debut with his new team, It took 40 minutes to get his first goal but unfortunately broke his jaw in the 60 minute mark by a high kick from a defender who was trying to clear the ball, but instead fracturing his lower jaw in 3 places. He was rushed to the Pescara Hospital by ambulance and then transferred to Arezzo General where he had to undergo a 2.5 hour surgery to put all things back. He is well according to his father and is expected to recover fully with no harm done. I plan to return the favour to visit him tomorrow in Arezzo to make sure all is going well, for his Father.

Well I hope he has a quick and full recovery. That's some debut! Saw a jaw broken a couple of times. Beat going on a diet back in the day.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian de Guzman is set to get back in the mix for Deportivo, starting tonight in the "double pivot", double holding midfield, alongside habitual defender Coloccini, as they take on Valencia at home in the first leg of their quarter final match-up.

Julian has not played in over a month. But Depor's poor home record, with four losses at Riazor this season, has convinced Caparrós that things have to change, especially as they are going forward too recklessly and are getting hit the other way at home, even vs. weak teams like Alavés who beat them 0-2 last weekend. So I think the idea is a lot of fight, vs a strong Valencia.

There is a ticker at http://www.as.com/futbol/crr/partido.html?p=0180_03_01_0007_0020

if you understand Spanish listen live at www.cadenaser.com or at www.radiomarca.com. Starting at 10 Pm Spain time.

Great news. Personally, I think Julian is right where I expected. He has always moved up in caliber in his club moves and has had to work hard to prove to the new management that he needs to be on the field. It happened in Saarbruecken and it happened in Hannover (although Rangnick used him fairly quickly). I certainly did not expect him to walk onto a starting position with his new club in Spain.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian in a dogfight of a match, scoreless at the half but Depor a man down after Duscher went in for a killer tackle on Albiol. De G had a shot m. 15, is in the thick of things, but they'll be lucky to hold onto the draw and take their chances on the 2nd leg in Valencia. Lots of the others have been carded so he'll probably stay on, others maybe subbed out.

C'mon Julian, score one.

Edit after match:

Depor win 1-0 on a very dubious penalty. They attacked the start of the 2nd half with 10 men, Julian as holding mid, then Valencia came on and had some fine chances, Molina with the saves. Aimar came on and De G basically had to man mark him, but he was only half successful, Aimar is a great talent and Julian just goes about his stuff without really showing a consciousness of who he is up against. Good and bad, sometimes he's daring, sometimes, a bit distracted.

Penalty came against the run of play, a minor shirt pull.

Not too happy with Julian's performance, true he has not played in a while, but I think he is actually playing better for Depor in a more attacking position than defending. Defending he just positions himself between man and his keeper and moves around, like in basketball. Backtracks way too much. Goes forward late and ineffectively to challenge the guy with the ball, but is so tenacious he eventually gets it. Then, passing out, tend to lose it if the pass is any more than 10 yards, just does not know what to do with it.

No joke, my son will be a better passer than J de G when he is 16. Just by growing up playing football in Spain than in Canada.

Bit frustrating all told, as I don't think he did himself a great favour playing like that, but since the coach wanted a tight defensive show and Julian was in the middle of it all, perhaps the performance will stick for a while and Julian will get some more minutes in future games.

What I am basically saying is that our highest considered mid is not a playmaker. And not that great a defensive mid either. Canada does not have a playmaker. We can pass at times, if we overlap up a wing and go in and out up a side, but we cannot move the ball through a fine passer in the middle who will make us play better. Did we ever have such a player?

Archived